Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/15/2006, 06:25 PM   #1
unmc2001
Registered Member

Possible to have algea free tank w/o refugium?

I have a 58 gallon with 50-60 lbs live rock and about .5-1" sand bed just for looks. I do not really want to add a refugium but I have been having small cyano patches for almost a year. It was worse when I had a 4" sand bed but has gotten a lot better since I removed most of the sand. I have been unable to totally rid the tank of cyano though. I bought a lifereef HOB overflow to add a sump but have not installed yet. I really don't want to add the potential for a flood if I can avoid it. Any opinions welcome.

unmc2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2006, 06:27 PM   #2
nemonick84
Registered Member

I'm having the same problem and my phosphates are almost undetectable.

nemonick84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2006, 01:44 PM   #3
bhdmc
Registered Member

A fuge is just another ave to rid PO4, nitrate, etc. It is great for harvesting copepods,etc. As long as you can keep these nutients out of your main tank by other means, you will not need a refuge.

bhdmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2006, 01:53 PM   #4
techigirl78
Registered Member

How much flow do you have in your tank? Increased flow and eliminating dead spots helped my tank.

techigirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2006, 02:07 PM   #5
robszar
Registered Member

i have a killer clean up crew, tons of snails, crabs, shrimp, and hermit crabs. they helped when I had an algae problem and the tank has been perfect since

robszar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2006, 02:08 PM   #6
alaskaayers
Registered Member

It is totally possible to have a algae free tank without a refugium. Patience and low stocking levels are key. I have a 54 gallon corner tank with moderate stocking that has zero green
algae growth.

You have to slowly add fish as the biofilter in the live rock reacts, you can add more, but be patient. I have a large number of detrviores in my tank to control excess waste as well. My rule of thumb is to add one fish every month max (or group if they are required to be added as a group) until you stocking plan is complete (which mine is now). That way you can see if the fish is properly eating and acclimated and give everyone in the tank time to adapt.

A refugium (in my opinion) gives you the ability to keep certain fish that might not survive in a normal reef tank because of a lack of food. Not having one doesn't keep you from being successful as long as you choose your livestock accordingly.

alaskaayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2006, 02:10 PM   #7
barrysalt
Registered Member

IMO, the good points of a fuge far outweigh the negatives, as long as you leave enough "space" in it to handle overflow if a pump fails. A fuge, done right, will cultivate constant source of 'pods, greatly reduce nitrates which feed algaes, add volume to your total amount of water which is a good thing, and in a pinch, acts as a temporary holding tank for new livestock to aclimate in. I wouldn't be without one! LOL....Barry

Current Tank Info: mngr of 3 tanks, 8,000 gals total
barrysalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2006, 02:10 PM   #8
Sindjin
Registered Member

Cook Your Rocks.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon, DIY Stand & Canopy, 2-250w 14ks w/ 2- 110 VHO actinics, ASM G-3, 50g sump, 46x tank turnover.
Sindjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2006, 02:20 PM   #9
alaskaayers
Registered Member

By the way, the lifereef overflow, if installed correctly is very, very reliable. I built one of my own (on my 75 gallon reef that does have sump and a refugium) using the same design and have no fear of an overflow. It never loses siphon regardless of power condition on the return pump.

Undesirable algae grows when the tank has food available for it, so if you have too much nutrient content in the water column (too many fish, not enough live rock, not enough live sand, feeding too much) or the wrong spectrum of light you can get problems. I run carbon about once a month to clear organics out of the water column, which empircally seems to help, but it also looks nicer.

I would say that if the tank is completely cycled and you are still seeing major blooms you probably don't have enough live rock and / or sand to keep up with the bio-load of your tank. A good protein skimmer is assumed in all of these comments. By good I mean one that you are satifisfied is performing adequately. People argue about which is crap and which is best, but in the end the user has to decide if the device is functional and performing its task satisfactorally. Some are clearly better than others, but a lot of them do the job just fine.

alaskaayers is offline   Reply With Quote