Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/13/2016, 09:34 AM   #1
Kymaro
Registered Member

Salinity for Reef by Aqavitro - Questions

I have trashed my tank, and I take full responsibility. As you can read my previous posts I was starting to have multi problems: my ammonia, Phosphate, Nitrites and Nitrates where rising despite my water changes, my corals where looking like crap, etc...

I started preparing to return everything back and trashing the tank and calling it quits because I just didn't understand what I was doing. I was using a reparable salt mix (not going to bad mouth a company) and I was told "Your doing every thing right" and still failing.

Here is what I found >> I started testing everything!, replacing equipment, filters. I was going to give it my all to save my tank! All to find salt mix was positive for Ammonia and Phosphate!!! I tested over and over again with multiple types of water and still positive. (yes I have contacted the company - no response yet)

I replaced my salt mix with Salinity for Reef by Aqavitro. After several water large water changes my coral is turning around and my tank looks healthier than it has is a while. I am continuing to perform 3 g water changes every other day until my levels are perfect: so far my Ammonia is down to 0.25, phosphates 0, nitrites 0, Nitrate 2. No perfect but so much better!

Whew my question is:::: Is it still normal for Salinity for Reef mix cloudy? Is it normal to find "sand material" at the bottom of my mixing bucket. Even after mixing and mixing and mixing (by hand) and placing a blower facing bottom of tank for 10 hours.

Current Tank Info: 46g bow front, LED full spec by Sea Marine, 2 blowers, standard tank filter, 30# LR:::Current Occupants: Ocellaris Clown (2) - Royal Damsel (2) - Dotty Back -Tuxedo Urchin - Sand snails - emerald crabs
Kymaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2016, 11:34 PM   #2
fishresponse
Registered Member

I've experienced the same from every mixed batch. The cloudy hasn't ever done anything bad but I do avoid putting in the "sand" left over stuff. That goes down the drain.

265g w/ 20" synergy overflow box
Hamilton Cebu MH/T5 fixture w/ 250w Radium bulbs
SPS/LPS mix | 30g (long) refugium with cheato | 40g sump
fishresponse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2016, 09:19 AM   #3
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

as far as i have seen it is normal for it to mix up cloudy. that's one of the reasons i don't use it. it tends to mix cloudy and precipitate quite a bit in the mixing container.

i haven't had any issues from it being cloudy, and it usually clears up just fine after mixing in with the rest of the tank water.

the only other reason i don't use it regularly is that it doesn't come in boxes, only buckets, and i've got empty plastic buckets coming out of my ears at this point.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2016, 09:38 AM   #4
tkeracer619
Registered Member

How do you mix the salt? Are you heating the water? Salt mixes better in non heated water.

Also, you should dose prime to your tank. It will help with the ammonia.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2016, 10:46 AM   #5
scooter31707
Registered Member

Tip while mixing. First, mix while the your water is cold (do not heat water while mixing salt). Second, do not dump in all the salt at the same time. I have found out that when I did 2-3 cups every 20-30 minutes, it do not cloud up at all. I let it run at least for 12 hours and I heat 2 hours prior to the water change. When you say your ammonia is down to 0.25ppm, what test kit are you using? If you are using API, then they are known to give a false reading of 0.25ppm for ammonia. I recommend using Salifert to compare.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2016, 10:47 AM   #6
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

if i had to mix 2 - 3 cups every 20-30 mins it would take me three weeks to make a batch of saltwater.

even when adding to cold fresh water at a reasonable rate, i've still had issues with salinity being cloudy and precipitating.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Unread 11/14/2016, 11:55 AM   #7
scooter31707
Registered Member

Trust me, the process I just mentioned above has work for me. I use about 16 cups every water change.

Unread 11/14/2016, 12:10 PM   #8
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter31707 View Post
Trust me, the process I just mentioned above has work for me. I use about 16 cups every water change.
trust me, it's never worked for me with salinity.

i don't have these problems with any other salt mix. IO, IORC, and even SeaChem's other brand called Reef Salt (SeaChem Reef Salt is what i usually use since it mixes clear and comes in a box).

if i'm using any one of those 3 i can pour them in to my mixing barrel and have them mix up crystal clear within about 3 hours. salinity stays cloudy for days.

i get more precipitate with Instant Ocean Reef Crystals than i do with anything else, but it is followed closely by the amount of precipitate Salinity leaves.

this has actually been an issue for a few years now. back when i was in my 75 i was using Salinity for a bit and it was constantly cloudy, no matter how i mixed it. so i switched to SeaChem Reef Salt and never had had cloudy mix water again.

Unread 11/14/2016, 02:44 PM   #9
scooter31707
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoBongo View Post
trust me, it's never worked for me with salinity.

i don't have these problems with any other salt mix. IO, IORC, and even SeaChem's other brand called Reef Salt (SeaChem Reef Salt is what i usually use since it mixes clear and comes in a box).

if i'm using any one of those 3 i can pour them in to my mixing barrel and have them mix up crystal clear within about 3 hours. salinity stays cloudy for days.

i get more precipitate with Instant Ocean Reef Crystals than i do with anything else, but it is followed closely by the amount of precipitate Salinity leaves.

this has actually been an issue for a few years now. back when i was in my 75 i was using Salinity for a bit and it was constantly cloudy, no matter how i mixed it. so i switched to SeaChem Reef Salt and never had had cloudy mix water again.
I don't know what to tell you. Like I said I have had no problems after I started that process. At the beginning was having the cloudiness.

Unread 11/14/2016, 06:24 PM   #10
M.R Cowfish
Registered Member

same thing for me I was transitioning from reef crystals as I could not find it locally at a good price no longer. So I went with salinity salt , same issues if I mixed how I normally did it would take weeks for it to clear up , got the tip to add salt sower and t worked . However its a pain in the butt so I switched over to h2ocean and that salt mixes the clearest out of any salt I have tried , leaves 0 residue in mixing bucket , and mixes fast , its a bit expensive but worth the price IMO . Just could not justify mixing my water like that for the price you pay for the salinity salt .

Current Tank Info: 200g puffer tank , 60 g reef, 45g shallow reef , 16g qt
M.R Cowfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2016, 07:04 PM   #11
minus9
Registered Member

I use salinity and have only experienced cloudy water once (only mixed for less than 24hrs). I let it mix for a day and a half to two days and haven't had a problem with cloudiness. I do get some deposits on the bottom of the mix bucket, but it never goes in the tank.

minus9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2016, 07:23 PM   #12
Buzz1329
Premium Member

OP, for the benefit of the rest of us, can I ask what salt mix you used that tested positive for ammonia and phosphate? Were you using RO/DI water? What exactly were results of ammonia/phosphate tests? What kits were you using?

Thanks,

Mike

180 mixed reef
Buzz1329 is offline   Reply With Quote