Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/30/2014, 02:32 PM   #1
IPT
Registered Member

Do bulkheads fail (leakage)

Hey guys I have a tank set up for 7 years and lately a small leak started from on of the bulkheads. It seems to be coming through the threads as opposed to from the seal on the tank itself.

Thoughts on this? The kicker is I am tearing down the tank in 3 weeks and moving it to a 120. Hate to mess with it and take the chance of making it worse (but it is gradually getting worse). I don't think I have a choice. Maybe if I open it open and reseal it will solve the issue?

IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2014, 04:17 PM   #2
Cthehentz
Registered Member

Mine did that and I ended up using a little plumbers putty then lightly tighten the nut, I only needed it to work for a week while I setup my 210 gallon.

Cthehentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2014, 04:20 PM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

yes.. everything fails eventually

Thats typically where they leak but its the gasket thats allowing water to get there in the first place..

Personally since you are just scrapping it in 3 weeks just wrap that sucker up in some towel or whatever if its not that bad.
It "could" get better if you try to turn the nut or it "could" just make it worse.
You could just throw some silicone over it and hope it seals enough..
Its just a temp fix.. whatever works.

Unread 07/30/2014, 06:36 PM   #4
jerzeedevl
Registered Member

Be careful with trying to tighten the nut on the back of the tank. I bought a used drilled tank and he gave me the bulkheads too. Once I leak tested it, I noticed it was leaking at one of the bulkheads...I thought maybe tightening it would help but instead it cracked the bulkhead and made the leak worst.

jerzeedevl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2014, 06:42 PM   #5
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Best recourse would to be to remove the bulkhead, make sure all surfaces are clean and clear of any debris, and reinstall. Just trying to tighten the nut will often just make things worse. Probably the bulkhead or attached pipe got banged, slightly compromising the seal.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2014, 06:56 PM   #6
IPT
Registered Member

Plumber putty - excellent idea. It's wrapped in towels and not that bad, but I did try and tighten it and you guessed it, it made it worse.

Did you just jam the putty in or back off the nut and put it around the seal? I want to mess with it as little as possible since it just needs to make it a little while longer. I don;t want it to go from bad to worse, I don't have time for that.

IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2014, 07:49 PM   #7
Cthehentz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPT View Post
Plumber putty - excellent idea. It's wrapped in towels and not that bad, but I did try and tighten it and you guessed it, it made it worse.

Did you just jam the putty in or back off the nut and put it around the seal? I want to mess with it as little as possible since it just needs to make it a little while longer. I don;t want it to go from bad to worse, I don't have time for that.
Yes, I just rolled like a snake, loosen the nut and wrape the putty around the threads between the and hole then lightly tighten it until the leak stopped, remember not to over tighten.

Cthehentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2014, 01:46 AM   #8
sowildpaul
Registered Member

Is it ABS or Sch 80?

sowildpaul is offline   Reply With Quote