Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/10/2011, 09:42 AM   #1
amazo
Registered Member

Sick Kuda please help

The other day when I did a water change I tried to clean the sandbed a bit and may have stirred something up. My smaller Kuda has been moving/swimming kinda jerky then last night I found her laying streched out on the sand bed,I gently put my hand under her a placed her on the live rock figuring if there was something in the sand that was the worst place for her.When I came back to check on her she was back down on the bed but vertical.She seems to still want to eat,the only thing I notice is she has stayed her darker color (she usally changes alot) and there are a few areas where she is almost white (near her anal fin,her head,and i think a small band on her snout).I can try and get pictures later (if she makes it through the day ).My larger one is fine acting compleatly normal.I added a skimmer with the hope if I did stir something up it would help take it out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

amazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2011, 10:18 AM   #2
rayjay
Registered Member

First off, I would put the seahorse in a hospital tank and drop the temperature down to 68°. If the present temperature is a lot higher, drop the temperature in a couple of stages, but if you are at 74° or lower you can do it in one stage.
If Ann see's this thread she will want questions answered to be able to better help advise you so these are the questions.

It is difficult to diagnose a seahorse, even with seahorse in hand. So, it is even more difficult over the Internet. The answers to the following questions will help anyone responding to your thread better assess the situation and provide more accurate recommendations. Please read through all of the questions and answer as thoroughly as you can. It is easy to forget important information when you are worried about your seahorse, and some information that might not seem important could be the key to identifying the problem.

1) Describe the problem in as much detail as you can. If describing a physical trait, explain exact what you see. Please include shape, color, and texture of any problem areas. Also, include any new or different seahorse movements and behaviors.
If this problem has occurred before, please tell us about it and the treatments and results. If there have been any other problems with the inhabitants of this aquarium in the last 6 months, please describe them also.
In addition to describing the problem if there are any other threads discussing this problem, or other problems in this tank over the last 6 months, please post the links.
2) Describe your aquarium. Include:
Size of aquarium
Date of setup
Filtration methods
Does the setup include a protein skimmer? If so, does the skimmer empty directly into the display tank or into a sump?
Does the tank contain a heater? If so, is the heater covered with a guard or located in a sump?
List the tankmates (other seahorses, fish, invertebrates, and corals).
Any other relevant information helpful to describing your tank environment.
3) What are your exact water parameters? Please include ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, temperature and salinity. Other water parameter measures are also helpful. Typing “my parameters are perfect”, does not give an accurate description. Some problems can be caused/complicated by the “normal range” of some water parameters. What test kits did you use?

4) How long have you had the seahorse? When did you add the seahorse to this aquarium?

5) What is the seahorse’s species? Is it captive bred or wild caught? Where did you get it?

6) What are you feeding it? When was the last time its eaten? Is it still eating? Any change in feeding behavior?

7) If you have added anything new to the tank in the last 4 months (including equipment, fish, coral, macroalgae, invertebrates, and rock/sand/etc.), please list it and the approximate date it was added.

8) Name anything that you can think of that you did to/with/near the aquarium and/or its inhabitants in the week before the problem started. Also, what have you done since the problem started? Things like water changes, cleanings, aquascaping, changing filtration, changing salt brands, changing foods, or painting your house, are all relevant.

9) If you have a digital camera, or can borrow one, and the problem is visible, please photograph it and post the picture. The clearer the better, but we will try what we can even if the picture is blurry. The macro setting on your camera can be very helpful. It is often labeled as a picture of a tulip. In this forum, a picture is worth a thousand words, literally.

10)Have you sought advice anywhere else? If so, what was their recommendation and have you followed it? Have you started any other treatment?

I'm concerned that the "white" may not be colouration due to mood/stress and indeed may be bacterial.
Do you have access to Furan 2?
Watch for any sign of this same white on the other seahorse.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2011, 01:33 PM   #3
amazo
Registered Member

I'll try and awnser what I can now then get the info I don't have when I get home from work.1) She started moving "jerky"(head movement)day after water change(monday)then swimming became "jerky"and she seemed stiff(not bending tail) (tues) she was kinda "hiding" behind the live rock (strange for her) then last night she was laying in the sand and was dark in color and thats when I noticed the white areas (bump of the anal fin,thin band around snout and a small spot near her head) I just had my wife check on her and she is hitching(something she hasn't done much of lately) still moving her head jerky.
2)37 (maybe 39) gal tall set about 10months ago S.H. added about 6 months ago HOB filter rated to 55 gal.just added skimmer with direct flow to tank 2 days ago set on a low flow.My cuc consists of 2-3 blue leggs 1 scarlet (they were added before the S.H.) about a month ago I added a turbo snail and an emerald crab (had hair algae growth,I have never seen him interact with the S.H.) has about 20-30 lbs of rock i did just notice a small anemone on one rock.I plan on pulling the rock and leaving it air dry for a few days to try and kill it.Most of my rock was base rock with a little L.R. to seed it the anemone is on the one large peice of L.R..
3)Will have to test tonight to give accurate perameters.
4)I've had them for about 6 month always been in this aquarium.
5)Kuda sold as ORA Blacks told they were CB I purchased them in Buffalo N.Y. at A Reef Creation-high end well trusted LFS.
6)Frozen mysis daily cyclopese once a week or so.
7)skimmer 2 days ago,turbo snail/ emerald crab about a month ago.I changed out some cheato that I had tucked in the L.R.I was using for nit.export it wasn't getting light so I rotated it with some from my Main tanks ref. a month or two ago (I realy need to find some better macros)
8)Did water change just before she started to act weird vacummed sandbed (I did it more than I ever have usally just a surface skim this time I went pretty deep) no chemicals or paint have been use in the same room but I have been remodeling a bathroom a few rooms away so far only tear down finished a few months ago and plumbing done may have kicked up some dust but hasn't been too bad no painting or anything just yet.Tank is in my room and the door stays closed most of the time.Tank temp stays 68-72,no heating vents in their I do turn on a heater at night thats when I see the higher temps..The tank heater is tucked (along with filter intake) inbehind some L.R. I've never seen them near it(they would have a hard time getting to them-not that they couldn't) and I did change the filter yesterday I don't usally do it so close to a water change but was concerned for her so I thought it may help,nit. wasn't high when I checked it the other day but like I said will have to check after work to be accurate.
9)will try and get some pics if she will cooperate.
10) No advice ealsewhere
As for Furan 2 i'm sure my LFS won't have anything they are a small shop but I'll check and if not I can call around either Erie or Buffalo (i'm kinda in the middle of both) they have some good reef shops that might carry it I don't care how far I have to drive to get it I just want her feeling better and can't watch her suffer. As for the white I think your right becuse when she turns black its pretty uniform and these three areas seem out of place,I didn't notice them untill she darkend up.The last few weeks there has been less activity in the house (my wife and I have been seperated for the last few months and are just now getting back together so for tues-thurs nights i've stayed at my mother-in-laws going home for a few hours after work to take care of my animals and laundry and whatnot) I have three kids only the older two can reach this tank and they dont touch my tanks unless I ask them to feed them for some strange reason. Thanks again

amazo is offline   Reply With Quote