Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/19/2019, 09:10 AM   #1
reachjohnnyliu
Registered Member

nitrogen cycle

How high is the ammonia level supposed to reach during the nitrogen cycle? I'm had a piece of peeled raw shrimp in the tank for over a week now and i'm getting an ammonia level of 0.8. It's been at tha tlevel for about 3 days now. Also how long does it take for the tank to clear up after you add the salt and bacteria starter.

reachjohnnyliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2019, 09:56 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Anywhere from .5-2ppm is plenty..
.8ppm is just fine.
Continue waiting for the ammonia and nitrite levels to reach zero before starting to think about stocking the tank..

It can take days to a few weeks or more depending on many variables for a tank to clear and be fully cycled. There are too many variables to give anything more than that time frame.

Patience is key to success in this hobby..

At this point all you need to do is top off the tank with fresh water to make up for evaporation.. (Note that I said freshwater and not saltwater as the salt does not evaporate)
You should also monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels if you have the test kits for them..
No further addition of an ammonia source is necessary.

If you wish you can remove the shrimp body at this time or just leave it in..

Unread 06/21/2019, 10:33 PM   #3
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

What bacteria did you use?
If it's a sterile tank with dry rock and sand I would add a small pinch of fish food to help introduce carbon source.
In my study I have found only Fritz Turbostart 900 to have worked really well in sterile tanks followed by Dr Tim one and only ot Bio Spria.
Ammonia levels of 0.8 is just fine and now shrimp should be pulled and discarded.

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2019, 10:43 PM   #4
reachjohnnyliu
Registered Member

tank has basically fully cleared up. i went to check on the shrimp and 90% of it was gone. what was left was sucked up by the gyre. lol

reachjohnnyliu is offline   Reply With Quote