Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/01/2009, 07:24 AM   #1
fullmonti
now is the time

add octopus tank to reef system?

Would it be a good or bad idea to add a octopus tank to a existing reef system. I was thinking a 30-40gal with some LR & macroalgae. Then it hit me, what about the ink thing, or is there some other issue i haven't thought of that might not be compatible?

fullmonti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2009, 04:02 PM   #2
barnett8
Registered Member

Bad idea, unless all you are going to keep are SPS and softies. I guessing on those two, but I would think that they would be ok with an octo.

Almost 10 years in the hobby!

Current Tank Info: 40g BR reef
barnett8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2009, 11:01 PM   #3
fullmonti
now is the time

no no, sorry I meant as a separate tank, kinda like a refug/frag tank, just running on same filter & water system, nothing in with him.

Unread 10/03/2009, 08:25 AM   #4
Lmecher
Registered Member

I am in the process of setting up a tank for a couple O. mercatoris. Some corals are fine with them, I know palays and LPS will sting them. Light requirements for sps are incompatable with low light levels preferred by octopus. Have you checked out this site dedicated to cephalopods?
http://www.tonmo.com/forums/

Lmecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2009, 06:58 PM   #5
fullmonti
now is the time

OK let me try this another way!

I have a reef system in place now, you know display tank, sump, skimmer, fug, frag tank.

Would there be a problem adding another tank to this system with nothing in this new tank but a octopus. This new tank would share the sump, skimmer ect. with the reef display tank
but would only have a octopus in it. Is there some danger to either the octopus or the display tank? Or should a octopus have a stand alone system?

Unread 10/04/2009, 09:29 PM   #6
broke1
Registered Member

I guess I was the only one that the original post made sense to. You are setting up a seperate tank for the Octopus, but want it tied into the same system as the rest.

I know they are a little dirtier as far as eating and waste but I would say with a well established enough system, and a big enough skimmer, why not. I would definately keep an eye on Nitrates though, maybe there will be an increase, maybe there won't.

I have actually wanted to do this, they are just really cool little critters.

Current Tank Info: Too big, yet too small
broke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2010, 09:35 PM   #7
bohannbj
Gone Fishin'

I'm setting up the same thing right now. The more water and filtration, the better the octo will do. Just make sure the drains along with everything else is covered by some mesh. Also be sure to keep it out of the high intensity lighting from your reef.

Current Tank Info: 270+180 + 75= 525 & 65 + 15= 80
bohannbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2010, 11:39 PM   #8
fullmonti
now is the time

I kinda put this out of my head. The more I thought about how hard it would be to keep & get attached to such smart creature when its live expectancy is just a year or two seemed to me to be to hard.

Unread 12/24/2010, 02:09 PM   #9
66deuce
Registered Member

Are these creatures able to escape tanks?

66deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2010, 10:09 PM   #10
fullmonti
now is the time

From every thing I know about them, they are maybe the best escape artist you can have. Also very smart.

Unread 12/24/2010, 11:41 PM   #11
SushiGirl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66deuce View Post
Are these creatures able to escape tanks?
Easily. And consider that these are good-sized octopuses (plural is not octopi, FYI). The ones you'd get in a home aquarium are tiny, and can fit through even smaller spaces. Plus, they can open lids, unscrew tops off of jars, etc.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...oKwrAKTxfmZBw#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCAIedFgdY0

SushiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2011, 07:28 PM   #12
loneracer05
Registered Member

this can be done as long as your skimmer can handle it.as for their escaping, if your not sure if your tank is escape proof and you put one in youll know soon if its not

loneracer05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2011, 06:36 PM   #13
jdyer88
Registered Member

I had an old timer tell me that he had a dedicated octo tank, and a reef system accross the room. He said he tried everything he could to keep his ceph in its display but it always found a way out. Not only that, it would get out, scoot over to the reef tank, help itselg to whatever little critter it was hungry for, them go BACK to it's own tank. I think I will leave these guys to public aquariums.

jdyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2011, 12:52 PM   #14
Docsb79
Registered Member

According to National Geographic or whatever I was watching one day they can get through any opening that is bigger then the gap between their eyes. That is the smallest solid portion of their body.

Docsb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2011, 01:10 PM   #15
Lmecher
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsb79 View Post
According to National Geographic or whatever I was watching one day they can get through any opening that is bigger then the gap between their eyes. That is the smallest solid portion of their body.
You mean the largest solid part of an octopus. Yes, it is this cartilage between the eyes that dictates the size of an opening they can fit through. I was previously under the impression it was the size of the beak.
I saw the same show, it was fascinating.

Lmecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2011, 03:10 PM   #16
skeeter_ca
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdyer88 View Post
I had an old timer tell me that he had a dedicated octo tank, and a reef system accross the room. He said he tried everything he could to keep his ceph in its display but it always found a way out. Not only that, it would get out, scoot over to the reef tank, help itselg to whatever little critter it was hungry for, them go BACK to it's own tank. I think I will leave these guys to public aquariums.
That cracks me up. Even if it might not be true.

Current Tank Info: 75rr,6"dsb,refugium,auto top-off & semi-auto water changer, OM squirt. 4 MJs 1200, Started on 03/03/06
skeeter_ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2011, 08:51 PM   #17
jdyer88
Registered Member

yea me too...I know it may not be true but it is a good story...fish stories are not just for fisherman dude

jdyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote