Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/16/2011, 02:18 AM   #1
Mister_Palmer
Registered Member

Tank Placement And Noise

I'm thinking about starting a 3rd tank, for Seahorses...

I was planning on putting it in my bedroom, I was going to do something in the 30G range.
But, I do have decent sized speakers in the room, where I listen to records, also stuff on the computer, and a TV would be in the immediate area (2-3 feet away)

From researching, I know that noise and vibrations can stress them out. So I'm thinking this might not be the best placement anymore?

I means it's not like my room is shaking, but it's around a 15X15 foot room. Music/TV is at normal volume...

Too much, or am I over analyzing?

Mister_Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2011, 06:51 AM   #2
DanU
Registered Member

There is a body of evidence that suggests noise and vibrations can stress seahorses. Vibrations, such as from pumps and such, I have found to be an issue but not from noise in the room. Despite the research that suggests noise and vibrations can be an issue, I have found my best breeder tanks where in the highest traffic areas and closest to the noise. Unless you are cranking the stereo or TV, I believe you would be ok.

Dan

DanU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2011, 03:33 PM   #3
Mister_Palmer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanU View Post
There is a body of evidence that suggests noise and vibrations can stress seahorses. Vibrations, such as from pumps and such, I have found to be an issue but not from noise in the room. Despite the research that suggests noise and vibrations can be an issue, I have found my best breeder tanks where in the highest traffic areas and closest to the noise. Unless you are cranking the stereo or TV, I believe you would be ok.

Dan
Yeah, like I said, the noise in the room would just be at everyday level.
I'm not at night-club volume or anything

Because aside from my room, I'm running out of areas to put it where I'd actually view it during normal activities.
I don't want to put it in a room where I'd have to go in for the sole purpose of looking at the tank, you know?
I'd get less out of it then.

Unread 12/16/2011, 06:55 PM   #4
Brewchief
Registered Member

My Seahorse tank is in my office which is at the back of the banquet room where we have bands playing music every weekend. It get's pretty loud in there but I've not seen any ill effects. The Seahorses have been doing great for about six months now.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon corner bowfront with 30 gal. sump and 39 gallon Seahorse tank
Brewchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2011, 08:02 PM   #5
Mister_Palmer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewchief View Post
My Seahorse tank is in my office which is at the back of the banquet room where we have bands playing music every weekend. It get's pretty loud in there but I've not seen any ill effects. The Seahorses have been doing great for about six months now.
Good to know, thanks.
Seems like if I do this, it's going to be in this room.