Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/24/2017, 09:27 AM   #1
VJV
Registered Member

Skimmer suggestion for 170 gallon display

Hi, I have a 170 gallon display with a 55 gallon sump (including refugium) with (currently) a light fish load.

1x Powder blue Tang - adult
1x Regal Angel - adult
1x Foxface (juvenile)
1x Yellow eye kole (small)
2x Clowns (adults)
3x Anthias (adults)
1x Chromis (adult)
1x Orchid Dottyback (adult)

I believe I currently have about 40inch of fish but plan on adding a yellow Tang, a six line Wrasse, a royal grama and a trio of yellow tail damsels down the road.

Would you recommend the Double Cone 180 or the 200 for this setup? Also, would you say having the RD3 is necessary? Do not Not really understand the need to control the skimmer pump.

Many thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VJV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2017, 11:38 AM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

For that size display, I would suggest the Double Cone 200. You could get away with the 180 but you're kind of at the limit for the 180 given your load.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2017, 11:39 AM   #3
VJV
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
For that size display, I would suggest the Double Cone 200. You could get away with the 180 but you're kind of at the limit for the 180 given your load.

Thanks !

Unread 01/24/2017, 12:15 PM   #4
VJV
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post

Also, forgot to mention that I have a Theilling Rollermat filter that constantly polishes de water so the skimmer has its job cut out. I believe the filter fleece is around 25 microns so it really removes a ton of waste.

Unread 01/24/2017, 01:46 PM   #5
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJV View Post
Also, forgot to mention that I have a Theilling Rollermat filter that constantly polishes de water so the skimmer has its job cut out. I believe the filter fleece is around 25 microns so it really removes a ton of waste.

The roller mat will remove solids but the skimmer removes dissolved organics so they kind of serve a different purpose even though some of the solids it removes do turn into dissolved organics if left in the system. I still would suggest the 200.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote