Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/16/2013, 02:41 PM   #1
VoiceInTheDeser
Registered Member

Bought/setup a Coralife RO System, smells like dead fish

Title pretty much sums it up. I ordered and installed a new RO system a few weeks ago, hooked it up under my sink connected to a 3 gallon storage tank (I only need 3-5 gallons at a time for my nano) and let it do it's thing. Used it to create about 40-50 gallons as I was trying to drive nitrates down on my tank at the time.

Now after about a month, the water coming out of it smells like dead fish. I also tested it for nitrates and it's registering above 20.

So...I'm guessing something got in the filters? Do I just need to clean it out? How does one completely clean out the insides of an RO system? And why would I have to do this after only having it a month?

Current Tank Info: 120 LPS
VoiceInTheDeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Sonicboom
Addicted to salt

did you do the initial purge? i just installed one a few days ago and i had to fill the tank then dump it.

Current Tank Info: 180 Aqueon RR / SRO3000Int / BLDC15 / TriggerSys custom Sump / AI Hydra 52 and Hydra 26
Sonicboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2013, 02:46 PM   #3
VoiceInTheDeser
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicboom View Post
did you do the initial purge? i just installed one a few days ago and i had to fill the tank then dump it.
I filled it up and emptied it out before I started using it if that's what you mean?

Unread 04/16/2013, 02:52 PM   #4
Sonicboom
Addicted to salt

yup, that's what i meant. It's all pvc, maybe a vinegar bath in a rubbermaid or in a sink for the canisters and while you are doing that see if one of the cartridges smells foul. hopefully it wont be the very first one and something can be salvaged. also contact Coralife support. I know one of the cartridges i installed was sealed in an air tight bag with some liquid. i think it was the RO one. maybe yours had a leak?

Current Tank Info: 180 Aqueon RR / SRO3000Int / BLDC15 / TriggerSys custom Sump / AI Hydra 52 and Hydra 26
Unread 04/16/2013, 03:42 PM   #5
VoiceInTheDeser
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicboom View Post
yup, that's what i meant. It's all pvc, maybe a vinegar bath in a rubbermaid or in a sink for the canisters and while you are doing that see if one of the cartridges smells foul. hopefully it wont be the very first one and something can be salvaged. also contact Coralife support. I know one of the cartridges i installed was sealed in an air tight bag with some liquid. i think it was the RO one. maybe yours had a leak?
Yeah, I contacted them through email a few days ago, but have yet to hear back. I'm guessing some sort of contaminent, I was just really surprised to have something happen with such a new system. I suppose I should go buy a lot of vinegar....

Unread 04/16/2013, 03:44 PM   #6
Sonicboom
Addicted to salt

try calling

Toll-free: 888-255-4527
M - F 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM CS

Unread 04/16/2013, 03:45 PM   #7
kk818
Registered Member

Your best bet is to contact coralife support theyll probably end up sending you a new setup
personally i use a 8 stage setup for my 90 gallon reef and ive never had an issue.

kk818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2013, 04:29 PM   #8
DHyslop
Registered Member

There's basically no way to troubleshoot or diagnose an RODI problem without a TDS meter and pressure gauge. You get what you pay for.

DHyslop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2013, 01:35 PM   #9
Reefer82
Registered Member

By initial purge he meant did you flush the membrane before use, generally you want to run 10galthe or so to flush out any manufacturing impurities or preservatives that may have been used. You want to do this with new di as well but in a separate step as to not put undue stress on the di while flushing the membrane.

To sanitize the RO you'll need to remove all the filters including the membrane. Mix up a bleach/water solution at about 3-4oz of bleach to water and then put that mixture into first stage of the RO. Run the solution through w no filters installed and let it sit for awhile to disinfect and then flush out the entire system w clear water until no chlorine is smelled. You'll have to run this through your storage tank I'm guessing. I've never had one so don't quote me on that. I know they have a rubber bladder and couldn't tell you of any adverse effects from the bleach contact. You may want to research that first.

That's how I've always done mine. Oh and keep the tubes tied up above the membrane housing to prevent gravity from draining it while it sits.

Reefer82 is offline   Reply With Quote