Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/24/2015, 01:32 PM   #1
scooter31707
Registered Member

Getting Coral Beauty to Eat

Hello all, I have a 2.5 inch Foxface and 2 inch Coral Beauty in my QT which is a 20 gallon long. I have fake rock in their along with a couple pieces of PVC, so plenty of hiding places. They have been in there for about 5 days now. The Foxface is pretty much eating anything I put in the tank. The Coral Beauty is just hiding in the corner and has not ate nothing. I really think the Foxface is bullying the Coral Beauty but I have not seen it yet with my own eyes. What advice do ya'll have for me to try and get the Coral Beauty to eat. Parameters are just fine, ph 8.3, ammiona 0, nirite 0, nirate 10, 1.025, and temp is 76. These was readings as of late last night. Plan on 2 gallon water change tonight. These are the first 2 fish in the QT which has been up and running for 2 months with a seeded canister filter.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2015, 02:25 PM   #2
IansAquatics
Registered Member

What are you feeding? You could try live black worms. And also I have a hard time
Believing anything could
Bully a coral beauty. Mine is by far the most aggressive fish in my tank and will
Easily go toe to toe with my clown tang who is almost 3 times its size.

IansAquatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2015, 02:36 PM   #3
scooter31707
Registered Member

I have tried Mysis Shrimp, Brine Shrimp, Krill, New Era Flakes, and New Life Spectrum pellets. Reason I say he might be bullied, he stays in the corner and when the Foxface goes by, the Foxface raises his fins up and turns his tail towards the Coral Beauty until the Beauty goes back in the corner. I haven't seen anyone nippling at fins or nothing to that extent.

Unread 02/24/2015, 03:07 PM   #4
IansAquatics
Registered Member

I would honestly just give it time. When I first got my melanurus wrasse he hid in my tank for almost 2 weeks. I even called the Lfs and tried to get my money refunded because I thought he had died. Then all the sudden he popped up 2 weeks later and was completely fine. Also coral
Beauty are super hardy fish.

IansAquatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2015, 08:32 AM   #5
scooter31707
Registered Member

thanks all for the advice. I will keep trying. I don't want to get rid of neither one, they are so amazing in color.

Unread 02/25/2015, 12:19 PM   #6
DaveRaz
Reef Rookie

The CB I have in QT ears like a hog. Unreal how confident this fish is. It greets me at the tank anytime I approach it. She does in the DT tomorrow. Killed a wrasse in QT. she goes crazy like that in the DT it will not be good for her.

Good luck with yours. Stunning fish.

DaveRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2015, 12:43 PM   #7
eddiereefs
Registered Member

how olds the tank? i had the same problem when i bought a coral beauty a month after my tanks cycle. the problem was i added him too early he was a lot more sensative than the clowns i had in and didnt eat and died. foudn out the tank was not established enough for such a fish

eddiereefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2015, 10:50 PM   #8
AmberLee
Eager to learn Newbie

I've heard of people sectioning off a fish that is being bullied, you could use a tank divider or something. Apparently it can let the bully get used to the other fish first. Or maybe even try using the fake stuff in the tank to essentially divide territory..

Current Tank Info: 275 Litre Cube (72G) Slowly becoming a mixed reef. So far only 2 Ocellaris Clownfish + CUC + 3 Linckia Starfish hitchikers+ a few softies & LPS
AmberLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2015, 01:16 PM   #9
scooter31707
Registered Member

Thank you all. The QT tank is about 2 months old and they were the first 2 fish in there. Unfortunately my Coral Beauty died last night. As I was getting them out the tank I noticed he had a swollen white bump around his anal so I had no idea if he possibly got strung by the Foxface or not. Off to the fish store today, they are giving me another one which is cool. They also have a screen divider for my size tank, so I will give that a try.