Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/25/2016, 02:13 PM   #1
pfan151
Registered Member

Return pump flow?

I'm getting ready to set up another 30tall tank for another pair of seahorses. I'm trying to decide if I should get a mag drive 3 which is 350 gph or the next model down which is 250gph. There will be about 6 ft of head pressure. Any thoughts on which would be better or any other brands that might be better?

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2016, 02:39 PM   #2
rayjay
Registered Member

It's not so much just what the return flow is, but rather the TOTAL flow in the tank including the return.
Look for a MINIMUM of 10X but closer to 20 is better when appropriately positioned to not blow seahorses against something to be damaged.
I like to have power heads as well as the returns and then I also use open ended air lines to augment the surface disruption to increase gas exchange.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2016, 02:46 PM   #3
pfan151
Registered Member

I have a few rios for inside the tank. I'm just not sure if a 350gal return pump would be too much for them.

Unread 03/25/2016, 09:47 PM   #4
rayjay
Registered Member

Well the return might give you 10X at best for flow, so calculate what the rio's will give you and see what the combine flow is. You can also divide the return flow so it come back to the tank at multiple points.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2016, 04:29 PM   #5
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjay View Post
Well the return might give you 10X at best for flow, so calculate what the rio's will give you and see what the combine flow is. You can also divide the return flow so it come back to the tank at multiple points.
That's what I ended up doing. I bought the 350gph pump and split the return into a Y. I'm guessing the pump will only actually be pumping about 250gph anyway with the head pressure.

Unread 03/27/2016, 07:04 PM   #6
vlangel
Registered Member

I also use rio pumps for added circulations and they work well to keep particulate suspended.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote