Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/14/2016, 08:27 PM   #1
Rakie
In Memoriam

Ghost overflow -- Leaky bulkhead.

So I've got an eShopps Eclipse large ghost overflow, the external portion of the overflow between itself and the tank is leaking.

Another concern is this overflow does NOT sit flat and flush, it never has. It has just a tiny amount of space around the edges.

I've been told to drain some water, loosen the overflow and add some silicone under the external box. And while I'm sure that would work, I'm wondering if there is another option before I do this.

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2016, 01:01 AM   #2
Meshmez
Registered Member

where are your gaskets? from inside the tank it should be:
flange / inner box wall / gasket / tank glass / gasket / outer box wall / nut

Meshmez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2016, 01:44 AM   #3
Ou8me2
Registered Member

If you over tighten the bulkheads it can cause the gaskets to leak also. Yes, the silicone would work for a fix, but really you shouldn't need to do that in my opinion. Also check to make sure you have the gaskets where they should be as mentioned above. My last tank I did I had a leak and couldn't figure out why and realized I put the one gasket on the wrong side.

Ou8me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2016, 07:21 AM   #4
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meshmez View Post
where are your gaskets? from inside the tank it should be:
flange / inner box wall / gasket / tank glass / gasket / outer box wall / nut
It did not come with nearly that many gaskets! There are 2, 1.5" flange gaskets that are NOT removable. The Bulkhead was was put in the box before it was welded by company -- This is how its setup as directions said.

Flange / 2x Gasket / Inner Box Wall / Tank Glass / Outer Box Wall / Gasket / Nut

It came with no other gaskets.

Unread 11/15/2016, 08:56 AM   #5
coryjac0b
Registered Member

Mimic how synergy has their gaskets. You can purchase additional gaskets from BRS if you don't have any extra.

coryjac0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2016, 09:49 AM   #6
Rakie
In Memoriam

Okay that looks good! I will have to buy 4 additional gaskets. They either forgot to include mine or eShopps is crappy at design.

Unread 11/15/2016, 11:06 AM   #7
Meshmez
Registered Member

it sounds like it was made incorrectly... however, you may be able to fix it by just moving the gaskets you have under the nut, to between the glass and the external box.

Unread 11/15/2016, 11:12 AM   #8
Meshmez
Registered Member

wait, there are 2 gaskets on each bulkhead between the flange and the internal box wall?

Unread 11/15/2016, 01:27 PM   #9
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
wait, there are 2 gaskets on each bulkhead between the flange and the internal box wall?
Yes there are, it's how they designed it. And of course being a 1.5" ghost overflow, there's no way to pull out the bulkhead to remove one.

I just went to the nearest LFS and got 2 gaskets -- Problem solved. Thanks much guys. That's all it came down to, 2 missing gaskets -_-

Unread 11/15/2016, 01:31 PM   #10
Meshmez
Registered Member

I would keep an eye on it... that doubled up gasket could add too much cushion and cause it to loosen up over time.

Unread 11/15/2016, 01:46 PM   #11
Rakie
In Memoriam

That's partly what I was thinking. I'm a little worried about it and I've made sure to email eShopps to hear what they say. Since the bulkhead can't be removed from the overflow box I can't put a new one on if I cut one off.

Unread 11/15/2016, 03:42 PM   #12
Meshmez
Registered Member

I have the synergy reef overflow (the one in the drawing posted above) and i have had no issues with it leaking with the gaskets in the places shown.

Unread 11/15/2016, 03:47 PM   #13
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
I have the synergy reef overflow (the one in the drawing posted above) and i have had no issues with it leaking with the gaskets in the places shown.
Yep, I almost got the Synergy Reef overflow 2.0 pre-release but my tank needed to be up and running before then. My family was not to keen on an empty tank sitting around.

Unread 11/16/2016, 09:35 AM   #14
coryjac0b
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
That's partly what I was thinking. I'm a little worried about it and I've made sure to email eShopps to hear what they say. Since the bulkhead can't be removed from the overflow box I can't put a new one on if I cut one off.
A doubled gasket isn't a good thing. You can probably get in there and cut one out with an exacto or small scissors. I would think eventually it would cause a problem.

coryjac0b is offline   Reply With Quote