Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/15/2011, 12:11 PM   #26
rayjay
Registered Member

As Tim say's, mixing species, or even same species different breeding sources can be a crap shoot.
However, I'm thinking that if you are lucky, the H. comes you already have, even though from different LFSs, may both be from shipment originating at Aquamarine International.
If so, you can look for H. reidi that also come from Aquamarine International and you will be able to mix those with your comes as they would be from the same breeding source.
Ask your LFSs to ask the wholesaler if they come from Aquamarine and if so see if they will get you H. reidi from the same source.
Aquamarine do not breed erectus.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2011, 01:01 PM   #27
aecasasus
Registered Member

Oh ok... So it's not about mixing breeds it's more about mixing them from different breeding source? Thats good to know, I will have to call the LFS's then.

As for the two males that I have, will they be ok with out females?

I appreciate the help

http://www.youtube.com/user/aecasasus?feature=results_main

Current Tank Info: 150gallon, 40g Innovative Marine
aecasasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2011, 01:15 PM   #28
rayjay
Registered Member

Yes the males will be fine together.

When getting seahorses from the same breeder one expects to get only the same pathogens along with those seahorses.
Buying from another breeder means probably a different mix of pathogens and seahorses seem to be very prone to succumbing to pathogens they haven't grown up with.
Then the only thing you have to worry about is thoughtless and unknowledgeable LFSs who don't put their seahorses in dedicated systems so that they are exposed to any pathogens that are in the system from other fish either prior to or at the same time the seahorses are there.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2011, 02:09 PM   #29
aecasasus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjay View Post
Yes the males will be fine together.

When getting seahorses from the same breeder one expects to get only the same pathogens along with those seahorses.
Buying from another breeder means probably a different mix of pathogens and seahorses seem to be very prone to succumbing to pathogens they haven't grown up with.
Then the only thing you have to worry about is thoughtless and unknowledgeable LFSs who don't put their seahorses in dedicated systems so that they are exposed to any pathogens that are in the system from other fish either prior to or at the same time the seahorses are there.
Thanks for the info and help

http://www.youtube.com/user/aecasasus?feature=results_main

Current Tank Info: 150gallon, 40g Innovative Marine
aecasasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2011, 02:22 PM   #30
mtc1966
Registered Member

i got my erectus from ora ended up with 2 females have not been able to get a male from them but i was able to get a male kuda from them. i asked if they all share the same water system . they said they did so i gave it a shot. my kuda ended up dyeing a few days ago. it did endure a 5 day power outage so i am not sure of the reason. but i will now wait until they have a male erectus before i try again.

65g seahorse tank 20g sump with a reef octopus skimmer ,tlf 150 reactor, red sea ozone generator controller,cpr hob fuge with light and 2 China led lights one 42x1 w and one 24x3 w. occupied by 4 ecectus seahorses a couple small gobies and cuc.

Current Tank Info: 58g main with 20g sump
mtc1966 is offline   Reply With Quote