Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/26/2017, 06:40 AM   #1
jonray
Registered Member

Phospate level in RO water

Hi all.

I currently have phosphate levels of 0.08 measured by the Hanna ultra low phosphorous checker. I was a little dismayed to find that my ATO RO reservoir water had phosphate levels of 0.0245. I have recently changed my RO unit filters and TDS is 0.

I only have a small tank and a large ATO reservoir so the reservoir water can be in there for 4 weeks before it is used. The reservoir is in a sunny room so the question is would phosphates increased naturally over time in the reservoir? The water is left to stand and is not aerated.

Thanks in advance

jonray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2017, 09:06 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Put some fresh RO water into a clean glass.. Check it for phosphate level..
report back..

Is the ATO container sealed?
Could be phosphates leaching from the plastic of the ATO container I guess..

Unread 01/26/2017, 11:41 AM   #3
jonray
Registered Member

Will do a fresh batch at the weekend. The container is not sealed and the container is plastic.

Unread 01/26/2017, 06:58 PM   #4
bertoni
RC Mod

That level is close to the error limit for the device, and there might be a bit of organic debris or other contamination in the container. I might try wiping the reservoir down with a bit of vinegar. I agree that testing some water straight from the filter might help pin down any possible source of phosphate.

Unread 01/27/2017, 06:48 PM   #5
outssider
Registered Member

according to hanna, they list the 736 as a "marine" phosphorus meter. I have been using this checker for many years but I'm not too sure that it's accurate in fresh water. When I've tested fresh water (from the tap and my ro'di reservoir) it seems accurate but I wouldn't make a bet on that. Maybe call hanna and ask them if it's accurate in fresh water.

outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2017, 08:23 PM   #6
jason2459
Registered Member

Hanna has stated in a reply to a question I sent to them that the 736 is not accurate for freshwater.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2017, 10:27 PM   #7
bertoni
RC Mod

Oops, I agree that the HI 736 is rated only for saltwater. I missed that.

Unread 01/29/2017, 02:04 PM   #8
jonray
Registered Member

Wow. Thanks for the help guys. I would have wasted a lot of time and cash chasing something that possibly doesn't exist. Large water change time methinks.

Unread 01/29/2017, 02:18 PM   #9
Dan_P
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
Hanna has stated in a reply to a question I sent to them that the 736 is not accurate for freshwater.
Does that mean underestimates the amounts? If so, phosphates in freshwater would be much higher than indicated by Hanna.

The test chemistry is sensitive to pH. Without the buffering of seawater, the test solution acidity in freshwater is possibly too low for the color development. So, that means no detection or underestimation of phosphates.

Dan_P is offline   Reply With Quote