Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/16/2014, 12:54 AM   #1
overskim
Registered Member

HOB Skimmer pump options

I currently have a Reef Octopus BH1000. The problem is if the power goes out the pump almost never restarts itself. I am setting this up on an aquarium where I need a much more reliable setup.

I am thinking of checking out the AquaMaxx HOB-1 to see if the pump setup is more reliable. Will the pump restart itself? What are some other options for pumps?

overskim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2014, 08:10 AM   #2
ViktorVaughn
Registered Member

Look through the manual for that model, should be able to find it on the retailers site to see if their is an air inlet that needs to be plugged to properly restart the skimmer. I have the same BH1000 and it took me the better part of 3 months to figure out that the open air inlet on that black cover needs to be plugged with your finger to get the skimmer to fill up and start bubbling again. I always have the water a little over halfway filled in the skimmer, put my finger over the open air inlet and then plug the skimmer in. Took me about 5 minutes searching on here to find that out while Id always stress out about unplugging my skimmer because it would take forever to start working properly again.

ViktorVaughn is offline   Reply With Quote