Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/30/2009, 10:03 AM   #1
shirley386
Registered Member

Dosing question for Randy

I have a 45 gallon frag tank with about a 35 gallon sump, no skimmer. 2 yellow damsels, a pair of ocellaris clowns, and 6 line wrasse. Weekly 5 gallon water changes with Reef Crystals. Lighting is 2 175W 10K MH and 2 T5 ATI Blue+. I've been having trouble keeping blue and purple acros colored up. They either turn yellow/brown or fade to a light pastel blue. Just yesterday I checked the Mg (I had not checked it before).

pH: 8.3
Ca: 325
Alk: 9.6
Mg: 930

I have been using your recipe #1 using Kent's Turbo Calcium and baked baking soda. I dose 9 capfuls of each per day. When I realized the Mg was so low I got some Epsom Salts and mixed it up 4 cups to 1/2 gallon RO/DI water and plan to dose 1 capful per day and keep checking with the idea to adjust the rate up or down until it levels off about 1250.

Now my question: What would be the difference if instead of making up a concentrated solution of all three, how about just dosing the dry material in the sump starting out with very small quantities and adjusting the dose until I reach the desired levels?

shirley386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2009, 12:48 PM   #2
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

If those values are accurate, calcium and magnesium are very low and I'd raise them. Stick with dosing the liquids as suggested, but dose more.

Use this calculator to see how much you need to dose (it is a lot!) and limit the rise to 50 ppm per day or so:

Reef chemicals calculator
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef
Randy Holmes-Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2009, 02:30 PM   #3
guitar8222
Registered Member

Once you get everything back up if you still have issues you may want to try dosing potassium.

guitar8222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2009, 03:24 PM   #4
shirley386
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar8222 View Post
Once you get everything back up if you still have issues you may want to try dosing potassium.
Thanx. What's a good source of potassium?

shirley386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2009, 07:15 PM   #5
bertoni
RC Mod

There isn't any data on the value of potassium dosing, nor are there particularly good kits for measuring the potassium level in a tank, so I'd stick to water changes for handling that element.