Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/22/2014, 03:52 PM   #1
Speedfreak95
Registered Member

Protein skimmer help/recommendations

Hello everyone I have a 65 gallon tank with 2 clowns, fire fish, flame angel, 2 shrimp, jawfish. Going to prob add a few more fish and an anemone down the line.. My set up is finally starting to blow up with coraline all over! I've noticed my skimmer seems to be the only part that's not doing anything.. It's a coralife 65 rated.. It never produced many bubbles I then added the mesh mod without cutting up the wheel it produced more bubbles but still no skim.. I took it all apart cleaned it and then put gutter mesh on each side of the wheel and it's producing a lot of bubbles in the housing but not enough to clean up the tank. I've adjusted the water to the bottom of the collection cup and bubbles never seem to get large enough to over flow..

Anyone recommend a reasonable priced skimmer or another technique to produce bubble growth to overflow into the cup? My friends think I'm crazy when they see the amount of bubbles in the cylinder but after 2 week nothing ends up in the overflow cup.

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon drilled tank, reef octopus nwb 150, jbj ato, 20 gallon sump, filter sock, 2-3 inch sand bed, 4 bulb t5, 2 hydorkoralia power heads, glass tops (front always open), eheim heater, bulk reef 75gpd ro/di with 50 gpd upgrade kit
Speedfreak95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2014, 04:05 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

raise the water level higher ..
as long as its not overflowing your cup with water..

Unread 07/22/2014, 07:34 PM   #3
rounder45
Moved On

Reef octopus nwb110 sss is a good choice size wise... And very inexpensive.

rounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2014, 01:53 PM   #4
Speedfreak95
Registered Member

I have the skimmer sitting inside my sump. If I hung it on the back of my sump would there be any difference? Wouldn't see why

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon drilled tank, reef octopus nwb 150, jbj ato, 20 gallon sump, filter sock, 2-3 inch sand bed, 4 bulb t5, 2 hydorkoralia power heads, glass tops (front always open), eheim heater, bulk reef 75gpd ro/di with 50 gpd upgrade kit
Unread 07/26/2014, 09:17 PM   #5
Speedfreak95
Registered Member

Quick question now.. I raised the water in the sump 3 inches higher.. At first it bubbled like crazy now over the past 3 days the cup fills up with mostly water and it's turned down to the lowest setting and water is sitting pretty high

Unread 07/27/2014, 02:29 PM   #6
rounder45
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak95 View Post
Quick question now.. I raised the water in the sump 3 inches higher.. At first it bubbled like crazy now over the past 3 days the cup fills up with mostly water and it's turned down to the lowest setting and water is sitting pretty high
the skimmer is now in too deep of water... try small adjustments to make big changes.

rounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2014, 10:38 PM   #7
Speedfreak95
Registered Member

yeah im just starting to realize this coral life skimmer is garbage.. came with the tank when I bought it. Any insight on the reef octopus nwb110