Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/30/2014, 05:04 PM   #26
myram
#347, 19 years

My other option I was thinking about was to add a couple of 24" T5ho bulbs to my current setup............create my own hybrid setup.

myram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2014, 05:13 PM   #27
jrozzi
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by that fish guy View Post
i find it funny that you think the kessil shimmer looks fake.

Many people actuall get kessil because they feel that the other lights you mentioned looked fake with the "disco ball shimmer".

Usually the top selling point on the kessil is the shimmer because it looks most natural since that is what it actually looks like in the ocean.

Also, the shimmer is like metal halide so people transitioning from metal halide to led love the shimmer.
+1

jrozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2014, 07:12 PM   #28
Ztrain
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myram View Post
Disco ball has to do with the optics, too tight on the optics and you get the disco ball effect.

I know a lot of people who don't like the Kessil look, but I know people who do...........it's all about personal preferences.
I could be wrong but what most refer to as the disco ball effect is the pops of green red blue and others that sparkle momentary around the tank. This is produced by more of a loos optics then the tight ones. For example of you have an array going across your whole tank of Red Green and Blue separate LEDs that are few and large enough to create shimmer but their spread out you'll get the sparkle effect where the ripple lines intersect. If you have all the LEDs bunched up together then your ripple lines have all the colors at the same lumen and you won't get the disco ball effect. You will get very high contrast with dim and bright but not disco.

Ztrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2014, 09:27 AM   #29
myram
#347, 19 years

Normally when people refer to the "disco effect", it's due to the optics being too tight and having the fixture mounted too low. You can actually see the colors around the tank where the light is hitting. Ways to avoid this is to mount your light really high so the colors blend, or go to a wider optic on the LED for color blending.

myram is offline   Reply With Quote