Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/30/2014, 12:07 PM   #1
Skuba
Registered Member

Upgrading return pump options

My sump, eshoppes rs75, is limited on space for a internal return pump. Currently I'm using a eheim compact 1000 to feed a 27 g display and 8 gallon display refugium. I'm looking to add some more flow and was considering either a tunze silence, a sycee 2 or 3, a hydor seltz or maybe a eheim compact 3000.
Rite now my return plumbing is 1/2" hose with a T coming off my 1000 into a 1/2" spears check valve.
Which of these would you reccomend and why. The only issue with another eheim compact is I'd need a reducer barbed adapter from the 3/4 outlet to 1/2", so the other options seem better since I can get a 3/4 MPT x 1/2 barb.

Another option I haven't considered would be running the pump externally either hung from the edge of the sump or sitting next to it if I buy some elbows to get the intake over and into the sump.

Skuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2014, 04:26 AM   #2
Skuba
Registered Member

Nobody has any feedback on these pumps or ideas?

Unread 07/31/2014, 04:49 AM   #3
Prplhz96
Registered Member

I switched to external pumps years ago and would never go back to internal. Just drill your sump instead of plumbing up and over it.

Prplhz96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2014, 05:38 AM   #4
Skuba
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prplhz96 View Post
I switched to external pumps years ago and would never go back to internal. Just drill your sump instead of plumbing up and over it.
Thought about drilling. But don't really wanna have to drain the sump and all. But I can get some tubing and elbows to go up n over the sump

Unread 07/31/2014, 08:44 AM   #5
gcarroll
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuba View Post
Nobody has any feedback on these pumps or ideas?
Not much feedback because all the ones you mentioned are pretty solid brands. All of them are Italian made pumps. Not much to disagree with!

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2014, 08:53 AM   #6
wildman926
Registered Member

What size is your overflow tubing?

I have 1" and use the Sicce Syncra 3.

If you have less than that, you can use the model 2.

Either way, the pump has flow control built into the volute if needed.

The search function actually works quite well!!

Tanks:Planet Aquarium 150g LPS, Planet Aquarium 90g Softie
wildman926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2014, 08:55 AM   #7
Skuba
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcarroll View Post
Not much feedback because all the ones you mentioned are pretty solid brands. All of them are Italian made pumps. Not much to disagree with!
Discovered another option also is mounting a waterblaster 2000. I like that calcium can't adhere to the impeller and the output is 1/2" already so would connect to my check valve pretty easily.

Unread 07/31/2014, 09:10 AM   #8
Skuba
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman926 View Post
What size is your overflow tubing?

I have 1" and use the Sicce Syncra 3.

If you have less than that, you can use the model 2.

Either way, the pump has flow control built into the volute if needed.
My return is 1/2". But I can adapt to 3/4 going into my check valve pretty easily

Unread 07/31/2014, 10:40 AM   #9
gcarroll
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuba View Post
Discovered another option also is mounting a waterblaster 2000. I like that calcium can't adhere to the impeller and the output is 1/2" already so would connect to my check valve pretty easily.
Although not Italian made, I have no complaints regarding the Water Blaster line of pumps. They have proven to be pretty reliable over the years after some impeller problems with the some of the fist pumps shipped. Coralvue/Reef Octopus has been very good with dealling withg problems and correcting the issues with their products.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote