Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/07/2014, 03:35 PM   #1
Nikky.Werr
Registered Member

Unhappy Lymphocystis on my B&W clownfish??

Hello, I bought this clownfish last week at my LFS. It seemed perfect physically, I sorted through their new shipment of fish and chose the least stressed out looking, and least damaged (complete fins, no apparent abrasions, etc). It seems, however, that I missed this lesion on its face somehow... I've googled everything from brooklynella to velvet, ich and lymphocystis. You can't notice how this protrudes from its cheek, it comes out about 1.5mm from cheek. This is the only lesion it has. What do you guys think it is and how could I treat it?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_6974.jpg (18.1 KB, 94 views)
Nikky.Werr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2014, 05:26 PM   #2
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Do you have another picture? Lympho doesn't typically start on the fishes body. Usually starts on a fin and can spread from there

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2014, 05:28 PM   #3
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Enriched, varied diet coupled with prestine water quality is the only way to get it to go away if it is in fact lympho

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Unread 10/07/2014, 05:31 PM   #4
Nina51
biggliest cofveve champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
Enriched, varied diet coupled with prestine water quality is the only way to get it to go away if it is in fact lympho
this ^

had a kole tang in qt with lympho. started soaking his food in selcon and/or vita-chem and it cleared up quickly.

Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine into your brain, and that is where crappy ideas come from.

Current Tank Info: i gave my reef away and i feel like a bird out of a cage!!
Nina51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2014, 10:15 PM   #5
Nikky.Werr
Registered Member

Hello, I just saw these posts. Unfortunately my lights are out so I cant take anymore pictures but the lesion is very visible since it's a black and white ocellaris and I searched all over its body when I noticed the one on the cheek and it doesn't have anything elsewhere. My water conditions are nearly perfect, even my nitrates are at less than 1 and boy was that a feat (during fishless cycle, I use Dr. Tim's Active Pearls in my canister filter). My water temp does fluctuate though between 78°F-80°F. My pH is at a consistent 8.1. Salinity is at 1.024-1.025. I'll try to stabilize the temp to a constant and i'll use the selcon on every feeding. I prepare fresh mixtures of minced shrimp, squid, clams/oysters and freeze on a weekly basis, is this all right, or should I try something commercial instead?

Unread 10/08/2014, 07:25 AM   #6
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Doesn't really look like lympho to me. I've only ever had it manifest on the ends of the fins, so have limited experience. Good news is that it doesn't look like ich, velvet or brook. Although usually clear, could it be a fluke?

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2014, 07:40 AM   #7
snorvich
Team RC member

While Lymphocystis normally is found on fins, it can be on the body of the fish. If the lesion looks a bit like cauliflower, that would be lympho. Selcon and Vita-chem supplements coupled with good water will cure it. Your other parameters are fine. However, it would be beneficial if you developed a quarantine protocol. And used it.

Unread 10/08/2014, 09:32 AM   #8
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
However, it would be beneficial if you developed a quarantine protocol. And used it.

^This is of most importance, it's lympho this time next time you may not be as lucky

Unread 10/08/2014, 09:49 AM   #9
Nikky.Werr
Registered Member

It does look a bit like a cauliflower, so I guess I am lucky. The reason I didn't quarantine this little gal is because this is a small 20g I'd been cycling for about a month and then added CUC that's been there for another month or so, so she's the first fish I've added. I assumed it would be okay, I know what they say about assuming though... So now I know better. Thanks for all your replies. I'll keep this updated with photographs of her progress. I've turned on the UV light in my filter, would that assist or impede or do nothing at all to water quality? I've rarely used that UV because of all the mixed thoughts on its benefits. If you think it'll do no good, I'll just turn it off.
Again, thanks for all your replies. It has been a big help.

Unread 10/08/2014, 11:01 AM   #10
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Most fish will get sick when stressed ie. when shipped. Whole sale fish places simply have too many fish coming in and out to prevent disease and most fish aren't at a whole sale place long enough to show signs of a disease. Some will use a low dose of copper which only masks the problem short term

Unread 10/08/2014, 11:35 AM   #11
Nikky.Werr
Registered Member

Too true Dmorty217.
I've already started using selcon. I'm going to update this with more pictures periodically. I'll try to get some full body ones today.

Unread 10/08/2014, 12:25 PM   #12
Nikky.Werr
Registered Member

Here are pictures of the rest of the body. She was kind of afraid of my lens so please excuse the blurriness, but even so you can tell the rest of her black body is clean.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_7069.jpg (22.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_7163.jpg (22.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_7155.jpg (28.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_7153.jpg (34.1 KB, 39 views)
Unread 10/08/2014, 12:37 PM   #13
tylersarah
Registered Member

If it's not lympho, it could be a little infection. What you're doing sounds good, maybe add a pellet food to your frozen mixture and keep an eye out for redness (streaking or blotchy) on the fish - in that case I would look into treatment.

tylersarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2014, 02:39 PM   #14
Nikky.Werr
Registered Member

(tylersarah) all right, i'll keep that in mind, thanks!

Unread 10/09/2014, 10:59 PM   #15
Nikky.Werr
Registered Member

Hey all, new pictures to add! The lesion is getting smaller, check it out (please excuse the blotchy aquarium glass, I need to get one of those "magnet" glass cleaners for the inside of the glass)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_7198.jpg (29.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_7200.jpg (29.1 KB, 22 views)
Unread 10/10/2014, 05:32 AM   #16
tylersarah
Registered Member

Good, good! Keep on with the good nutrition/water quality

Unread 10/12/2014, 12:03 PM   #17
Nikky.Werr
Registered Member

All right everyone, the white lesion has completely disappeared but now she won't eat at all... ill upload a photo as soon as possible.

Unread 10/12/2014, 02:18 PM   #18
Nikky.Werr
Registered Member

omg what now :(

All right here are some photos, white lesion completely gone but is it me or do her white stripes seem like they're fading/raw/pinkish at the top??? Oh and she still wont eat. I tried everything from spectrum pellets to various frozen mixes to the frozen caviar for fish my LFS sells.... Hasn't eaten since yesterday.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_7201.jpg (24.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_7211.jpg (22.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_7219.jpg (17.3 KB, 20 views)
Unread 10/12/2014, 05:15 PM   #19
Nikky.Werr
Registered Member

Rip

just checking on her, was about to offer more food. She's dead. i took some post-mortem pics but dont wanna be gruesome and post them unless anyone asks. I didn't find anything on her body, but I didn't autopsy to check out the inside. I really thought she was doing great, she had a big appetite till last night and the white lesion had gone away completely. HUGE bummer.

Unread 10/12/2014, 08:22 PM   #20
Sk8r
RC Mod

So sorry to hear.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2014, 10:26 PM   #21
Nikky.Werr
Registered Member

Now that the my b&w has died in the tank is there anything I need to do in order to keep whatever she died from out of the tank. Should I do a 100% water change? Are my cuc inverts at risk? What protocol do you follow when a fish has died in-tank from an apparently unknown disease? (as "lymph" had cleared up I'm assuming it had something else)
I'm completely perplexed. My parameters remained ammonia:0, nitrite:0, nitrate:<1, phosphate:0, pH:8.1, calcium:420, temperature: 79-80
Well anyways, any protocol suggestions? should I run UV or something?...

Unread 10/13/2014, 04:58 PM   #22
tylersarah
Registered Member

Shoot, sorry to hear this! Losing fish is sad. The inverts aren't at risk, nothing you really need to do to the tank other than regular maintenance. One thing of importance would be to pick up a small QT, 10 gal aquarium, a clear rubbermaid plastic tote etc. That way you can easily treat future diseases (assuming they can be identified) and keep healthy fish healthy.

Unread 10/13/2014, 06:55 PM   #23
Nikky.Werr
Registered Member

Thanks tylersarah, I'll keep up regular maintenance and pick up a small QT as suggested.
And thank you all who have replied to this thread, your help means a lot to me.
Goodnight all.

Tags
brooklynella, ich, lymphocystis, sick clownfish, sick ocellaris