Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/14/2014, 03:50 PM   #1
angelstar0204
Registered Member

Worth Investigating?

I had a reef tank about 6 years ago, but realize how lucky I was that it thrived for as long as it did because I really didn't know what I was doing. A few months ago a inherited a 55 gallon fish only tank from my brother in law that I'm realizing came with a whole list of problems!

Right now, the tank has what I'm learning is cheap equipment. Here is my setup:

TopFin 60 filter
Half functioning powerheads
Seaclone Protein Skimmer (good or not good?)
CC (hadn't cleaned in over 5 years)
Little if any water changes in over a year and a half
Fair amount of live rock

Zero ammonia & nitrites, but according to my local store off the chart nitrates and very very high phosphates.

I've tried large water changes, but I'm realizing the problem probably lies with my CC and cheap equipment? I purchased a better filter and new powerheads, but I know I have a lot more to do.

These are the things I'm considering, please let me know your opinions!
1. Replacing CC with sand.
2. Adding a refugium or sump system (which may be the same thing)

My brain is on overload and I want to get this tank in a better condition as soon as possible. Can anyone tell me what a rough cost to set up an HOB refugium or a below the tank refugium would be? I don't mind doing research if it's something that would be really beneficial, but feel overwhelmed and want to know if it's even in my price range before I melt more brain cells.

Any help or advice is SOOO greatly appreciated!!!!

angelstar0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2014, 05:30 PM   #2
LittleBurger
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelstar0204 View Post
I had a reef tank about 6 years ago, but realize how lucky I was that it thrived for as long as it did because I really didn't know what I was doing. A few months ago a inherited a 55 gallon fish only tank from my brother in law that I'm realizing came with a whole list of problems!

Right now, the tank has what I'm learning is cheap equipment. Here is my setup:

TopFin 60 filter
Half functioning powerheads
Seaclone Protein Skimmer (good or not good?)
CC (hadn't cleaned in over 5 years)
Little if any water changes in over a year and a half
Fair amount of live rock

Zero ammonia & nitrites, but according to my local store off the chart nitrates and very very high phosphates.

I've tried large water changes, but I'm realizing the problem probably lies with my CC and cheap equipment? I purchased a better filter and new powerheads, but I know I have a lot more to do.

These are the things I'm considering, please let me know your opinions!
1. Replacing CC with sand.
2. Adding a refugium or sump system (which may be the same thing)

My brain is on overload and I want to get this tank in a better condition as soon as possible. Can anyone tell me what a rough cost to set up an HOB refugium or a below the tank refugium would be? I don't mind doing research if it's something that would be really beneficial, but feel overwhelmed and want to know if it's even in my price range before I melt more brain cells.

Any help or advice is SOOO greatly appreciated!!!!
u can bring down yr no3 n po4 using chemical filtration media like Purigen n po4x4 or azno3.
Then once u achieve the no3o4 ratio can start carbon dosing if u want.
U didn't state yr livestocks in yr 55gal tank.
How much does large water change in total quantity with respect to your display tank water vol?
How much r u feeding?
Half functioning power heads mean they can spin then stop or??? Beware of electricity hazard.
Having a hob refugium will not reduce yr nutrient levels if u feed a lot.

I suggest u make 100% water change. Test your newly mixed saltwater for no3&po4.
Then relax and slowly read up and gain more knowledge on reefing.
The fun in reefing is there is so much to learn and explore.

Chiller:1hp Daikin compressor.
Lighting:2 x Kessil A360we

Current Tank Info: 3ft by 3ft crystal glass on 3sides
LittleBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2014, 10:21 AM   #3
angelstar0204
Registered Member

I know I forgot something! There are only two clowns and (what I was told) are two damsels. They have grown to be about 1.5" (clowns), 3" (damsel) and 2 " (other damsel).

Do you prefer the chemical nitrate reducing products or using something like de-nitrate?

I feed once a day about 15-20 little pellets. Is this too much? I've started feeding slowly so that they have a chance to get most of it before it hits the bottom.

The power heads do start and then stop. One of them I can tell is missing parts on the front end of it, but I'm keeping it in there before I get my replacements as it hasn't been one of the ones to start/stop.

Thank you so much for your advice! Is there a great reef book your recommend or do you mostly learn from forums and other hobbyists?

Unread 11/15/2014, 10:21 AM   #4
angelstar0204
Registered Member

I know I forgot something! There are only two clowns and (what I was told) are two damsels. They have grown to be about 1.5" (clowns), 3" (damsel) and 2 " (other damsel).

Do you prefer the chemical nitrate reducing products or using something like de-nitrate?

I feed once a day about 15-20 little pellets. Is this too much? I've started feeding slowly so that they have a chance to get most of it before it hits the bottom.

The power heads do start and then stop. One of them I can tell is missing parts on the front end of it, but I'm keeping it in there before I get my replacements as it hasn't been one of the ones to start/stop.

Thank you so much for your advice! Is there a great reef book your recommend or do you mostly learn from forums and other hobbyists?