Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/31/2014, 02:38 PM   #26
slief
RC Sponsor

My sump and fuge are under my tank and given the two doors to access below the tanks, it's difficult to photograph both so here is the sump and fuge outside the tank when I was laying out the plumbing before I removed the original sump and installed this new setup. The swap was done while the tank was fully stocked so this needed to be planned to perfection necessitating the need to plumb everything in advance of the swap. Because they had to fit through the access doors below the tank and also because I wanted them as big as possible, I came up with the 2 sump design. I can shut the fuge on the right down completely without shutting the main sump down on the left by closing one valve and opening another.

Refugium bypass plumbing at the pumps intake.. I close the valve at the fuge and the water is drawn directly from the main sump.

The pump on the left is my recirculation pump which has since been swapped out for a Reeflo Dart Gold. The one on my right is the return pump which also feeds my manifold and chiller loop. It's since been swapped for a Hammerhead gold and will soon be replaced with a Super Dart Gold.

Hammerhead Gold return pump and Dart Gold recirculation pump.

My manifold setup mounted to the underside of the tank framing. You can also see where the recirculation lines go back into the tank. The enter through the overflow and go into a PVC pipe with 1/4" holes in it that circles my overflow blowing water out from under my aquascape. This helps to keep detritus from settling under the rocks in the center of my tank.

Reactors for GFO and Carbon which is hidden behind the GFO reactor. You can also see my pair of 2" drain lines leading to the sump.

My mixing station, RODI, RODI reservoir, ATO pump and Genesis Renew auto water change system is housed in a shed outside that is plumbed through the wall into the sumps below the tank.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 10/31/2014 at 02:43 PM.
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2014, 09:58 PM   #27
Pimentinha1987
Registered Member

Amazing set up slief!

I love the fact that you have total controllability in your setup.

If you don't mind me asking, in which circumstances would you consider bypass your refugium?

Unread 11/01/2014, 07:14 AM   #28
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimentinha1987 View Post
Holly cow!!
Spectacular.

May I ask how big the tank is??

Also, I have seen some people leave their PVC plumbing "freestanding" while others use straps.

Does it really make a difference?
My display is 200g.
That rubbermaid is a 150g.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2014, 08:28 AM   #29
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Amazing set up slief!

I love the fact that you have total controllability in your setup.

If you don't mind me asking, in which circumstances would you consider bypass your refugium?
Thanks. They refugium bypass is for maintenance purposes. I have a 4-5" deep sand bed with mud, sand and live rock rubble in it along with a massive amount of chaeto and other algae. Given the high rate of flow through it from my return pump, being able to bypass the refugium when I do maintenance on it can be very helpful not only for cleaning it but also for keeping the display clean when doing so. I rarely ever shut the refugium down as I try not to disturb it other than trimming chaeto but should I have to dig into the DSB, it's a feature that's almost essential.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2014, 08:16 PM   #30
NSimpkins
Registered Member

There is a guy named MJ on Youtube that had a pretty cool plumbing set up. You can use colored PVC that certainly gives it some personality. I am also planning my plumbing out so great thread for inspiration.

NSimpkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2014, 08:00 AM   #31
Pimentinha1987
Registered Member

Yes, his plumbing set up is actually the nicest one on YouTube that I have seen.

I'm planning on building my return fairly similar to his.

I have put a semi permanent drain on using orange PVC. It looks really cool with the LEDs that I put in the stand.
Once synergy reef is back I will have a custom sump built so it looks they way I want and works the way I want.
I will only be doing the permanent plumbing by then so I still have a few months to plan everything out and make any adjustments to my plans

Unread 11/03/2014, 08:38 AM   #32
sowildpaul
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, his plumbing set up is actually the nicest one on YouTube that I have seen.

I'm planning on building my return fairly similar to his.

I have put a semi permanent drain on using orange PVC. It looks really cool with the LEDs that I put in the stand.
Once synergy reef is back I will have a custom sump built so it looks they way I want and works the way I want.
I will only be doing the permanent plumbing by then so I still have a few months to plan everything out and make any adjustments to my plans
You can order a custom sump from other retailers like MRC (I heard about its excellent workmanship). If they don't have fl acrylic sheets available, you can order it through a plastic company such as http://www.eplastics.com/Plexiglass_...et_Fluorescent and have it delivered to the retailer.

BTW, I am curious to see your sump diagram if you already have done so.

Last edited by sowildpaul; 11/03/2014 at 08:49 AM.
sowildpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2014, 12:35 AM   #33
Pimentinha1987
Registered Member

That is actually a great idea Sowildpaul!

Thanks for the tip.

What programs do you people use to draw your diagrams??
I know exactly what I want in my head, however, I have nothing on the paper (except for some drawings of the plumbing).

I will get in touch with them and have them give me an estimate.

Thanks again Paul!

Unread 11/07/2014, 06:56 AM   #34
sowildpaul
Registered Member

Quote:
That is actually a great idea Sowildpaul!

Thanks for the tip.

What programs do you people use to draw your diagrams??
I know exactly what I want in my head, however, I have nothing on the paper (except for some drawings of the plumbing).

I will get in touch with them and have them give me an estimate.

Thanks again Paul!
If you plan to order 4 ft by 8 ft fl color sheet from a plastic company, shipping will be expensive due to size and weight. Lets hope MRC has some available in stock. If not, you can ask if they can order it at wholesale price.

For free 3D drawings, http://www.sketchup.com/ Download SketchUp Make. Have fun!

I use Paint by Microsoft for 2D drawings but it's not that great.

Last edited by sowildpaul; 11/07/2014 at 07:28 AM.
Unread 11/07/2014, 12:50 PM   #35
sandman4411
Registered Member

Got to love the color PVC piping!

sandman4411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2014, 01:04 PM   #36
Pimentinha1987
Registered Member

I will give it a shot over the weekend.

Hopefully I will make a nice looking sump diagram so I can have it built the way I want it.

The color PVC is outstanding. I got the orange PVC from Bulk Reef Supply and with the LEDs I installed under the cabinet everything pops. (It even changes colors)

Will be keeping you guys updated.

Also, even tho the new build is going to be a 75G with one single drain, I'm planing on having the sump built with two drain holes in case I ever decide to breakdown and go bigger.
What do you guys think?

Unread 11/07/2014, 02:22 PM   #37
sowildpaul
Registered Member

Quote:
I will give it a shot over the weekend.

Hopefully I will make a nice looking sump diagram so I can have it built the way I want it.

The color PVC is outstanding. I got the orange PVC from Bulk Reef Supply and with the LEDs I installed under the cabinet everything pops. (It even changes colors)

Will be keeping you guys updated.

Also, even tho the new build is going to be a 75G with one single drain, I'm planing on having the sump built with two drain holes in case I ever decide to breakdown and go bigger.
What do you guys think?
Reef or FO/FOWLR? Fuge? Filter socks?

As for two drain holes for a bigger tank, it depends on the size of the new sump.

Orange pipe + LED rope + fl sump = Xmas light show everyday LOL

IMO, orange pipe w/ sch 80 fittings look good compared to orange pipe w/ sch 40 white.

Last edited by sowildpaul; 11/07/2014 at 02:40 PM.
Unread 11/10/2014, 12:56 PM   #38
Pimentinha1987
Registered Member

Reef all the way...

I have about 40 inches to play with, and I'm planning on getting a sump with a matching ATO+dosing container to sit next to it.

I'm not sure wether I will go with a fuge...
For fuges to be of value it needs to be something really big, and I don't have the room...

I'm using schedule 80 fittings with orange pipe.
It looks rad!

Unread 11/15/2014, 04:36 PM   #39
sowildpaul
Registered Member

Quote:
Reef all the way...

I have about 40 inches to play with, and I'm planning on getting a sump with a matching ATO+dosing container to sit next to it.

I'm not sure wether I will go with a fuge...
For fuges to be of value it needs to be something really big, and I don't have the room...

I'm using schedule 80 fittings with orange pipe.
It looks rad!
http://zeroedgeaquarium.com/series-7-sumps/

I found it through Reef Builders website. (I left the link that has close-up pictures but it was blocked by RC so I deleted it.)

Not sure if the color orange would match your orange pipe, even though it's mixed with white sheets.