Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/27/2014, 05:20 PM   #1
TimLikesFish
Registered Member

Need a little direction buying a new skimmer

I have a 120 with a 40 sump and I'm in the market for a new skimmer. I've had my eyes on the aquamaxx coneS co2 for a bit, but don't know much about it because all the YouTube videos are on the co1. If anybody with the co2 can give their review on it I would appreciate it.

Unread 11/27/2014, 05:22 PM   #2
TimLikesFish
Registered Member

Or if someone can recommend a better skimmer then please do so. I don't think I want the vertex because it looks like the adjustment is done by twisting the standpipe and I hate that. Thanks

Unread 11/27/2014, 10:01 PM   #3
MrSkumFrog
Registered Member

I use a RLSS DB8-i DC for my 105g. I love it.
It's a monster!

Unread 11/28/2014, 12:54 AM   #4
garyinco
Registered Member

I have the CO-2 on a 105 with a 30 sump. 95 net gallons of H2O. Skimmate factory. An Aquamaxx HOB is in transit from MD as an upgrade on a frag holding AIO I have. Aquamaxx is selling great skimmers.

The CO-2 is easy to adjust w/ very fine control. And it is very consistent. I like that it does not have the angled plate the CO-1 does. It has has a good sized footprint. It has a decent sized collection cup, but that is not that important to me as I have it drain into a collection vessel. I also have a Swabbie neck cleaner on it. I go for weeks w/o doing any maintenance on it. It completely disassemblies for cleaning but I haven't needed to do that. It has a twist lock for the cup that requires less than an eighth of a turn to remove. While I like that feature I also consider it a minor weakness. If you replace the cup and have it cockeyed you put some stress on the locking tabs. I did that when I was getting it set up in the sump, but no damage done. Mine runs best in 9 3/8" depth.

Do you have any specific questions about it? I would buy another one in a second.

garyinco is offline   Reply With Quote