Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/14/2014, 07:50 PM   #26
Bsrt
Registered Member

Yep I got. I'm limited to the height of the sump if I keep the bottom 2x4's going front to back and adding plywood bottom. I appreciate your help.

Bsrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2014, 07:55 PM   #27
Bsrt
Registered Member

Or can I relocate those 2x4's up top?

Last edited by Bsrt; 12/14/2014 at 07:57 PM. Reason: I Reposted accidentally
Unread 12/14/2014, 08:15 PM   #28
CuzzA
Registered Member

I'd leave the top as is.

Btw, I'd take the tank off the stand while you're doing all of these modifications.

You could eliminate the bottom cross braces and install a plywood bottom inside the cabinet. This would give you an extra 3" if you used 1/2" plywood. Or lay the 2x4's flat with 1/2" plywood, but you'll only gain 1 1/2 inches.

Either way I would be sure to caulk and paint the bottom so that it can hold water for the inevitable spill or splash.

CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2014, 08:24 PM   #29
Bsrt
Registered Member

Sounds good thanks again.

Unread 12/14/2014, 08:39 PM   #30
CuzzA
Registered Member

No problem. Glad to help

Unread 12/15/2014, 08:37 PM   #31
DrBoxedWine
Registered Member

I had a similar issue with my 75g, the stand wasn't big enough to accommodate a standard sump. I looked into all sorts of options: cutting holes in the stand, having a custom made sump, etc... I ended up buying a really nice stand/hood off someone on CL for $125 that fixed the issue. By the time you have custom tanks built and do all that work, just to have a less than Ideal setup, you could have sold that current stand and bought one that fits your needs. Even if it costs you an extra $50 out of pocket now, it'll be WELL worth it. And once you fill that tank up, you're never going to want to drain it. Just do it now and get a different stand.

DrBoxedWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2014, 10:26 PM   #32
CuzzA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBoxedWine View Post
I had a similar issue with my 75g, the stand wasn't big enough to accommodate a standard sump. I looked into all sorts of options: cutting holes in the stand, having a custom made sump, etc... I ended up buying a really nice stand/hood off someone on CL for $125 that fixed the issue. By the time you have custom tanks built and do all that work, just to have a less than Ideal setup, you could have sold that current stand and bought one that fits your needs. Even if it costs you an extra $50 out of pocket now, it'll be WELL worth it. And once you fill that tank up, you're never going to want to drain it. Just do it now and get a different stand.
It's a pretty easy fix that will only cost him a sheet of plywood. By the time he unloads the current stand and finds a new one he could of simply fixed the current stand within a few hours.

Unread 12/16/2014, 12:22 AM   #33
schlegelli46
Registered Member

you can remove all the center braces... it will hold

schlegelli46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2014, 12:24 AM   #34
schlegelli46
Registered Member

I will post a pic...

Unread 12/16/2014, 12:29 AM   #35
schlegelli46
Registered Member

Unread 12/16/2014, 12:31 AM   #36
schlegelli46
Registered Member

that's under a 55 fw tank, running my 40 sw

Unread 12/16/2014, 12:31 AM   #37
schlegelli46
Registered Member

center brace removed

Unread 12/16/2014, 09:59 AM   #38
DrBoxedWine
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
It's a pretty easy fix that will only cost him a sheet of plywood. By the time he unloads the current stand and finds a new one he could of simply fixed the current stand within a few hours.
Yeah I hear you. Just a other suggestion. 20" high is also not a very ideal height... Reef tanks just need a little more room than FW (which i bet that stand was made for). The skimmer he'll need for a tank that size is going to barely fit (if at all). My 75g is 29" high at the door, and i'm thankful for every bit of space I have. Heck, my 30g sump alone is 18" high.

Unread 12/16/2014, 11:07 AM   #39
CuzzA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBoxedWine View Post
Yeah I hear you. Just a other suggestion. 20" high is also not a very ideal height... Reef tanks just need a little more room than FW (which i bet that stand was made for). The skimmer he'll need for a tank that size is going to barely fit (if at all). My 75g is 29" high at the door, and i'm thankful for every bit of space I have. Heck, my 30g sump alone is 18" high.

Now that, I can't disagree with. He could set the stand on a bottom 4x4 box frame and re trim it out. That would pick up another 3.5 inches for a total of 26.5.

Unread 12/16/2014, 11:13 AM   #40
DrBoxedWine
Registered Member

I picked this stand up for $125, the used stand market is very cheap.

But yeah you could also add a few inches. Just depends on how DIY inclined the OP is. Some people would love that sort of project, others not so much.

And sorry, I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes, or sound like a know it all. I just went through this exact issue, and for me, getting a new stand was the best choice. This new one is taller and has a hood, my wife didn't want a hood or a taller stand. Once she saw it all she goes "Hmmm... This is great, this is how we should have had it all along." lol, glad she's down with canopys now tho!

Unread 12/16/2014, 07:08 PM   #41
timkatz71
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsrt View Post
Will 3 sumps work is my question? I can't build plus I've already spent the money on the tank/stand.

I don't want to sound harsh, here is the but, if you are having a hard time spending a couple extra bucks on a stand you may want to hold off on this hobby for a bit. If not you are going to rush get your water in sand rock fish... Coral if u want... Then you are going to realize that you are spending a lot of time, and going through more headaches than needed.
You are going to wish that you spent the money and didn't rush. Also this is an expensive hobby, just in normal running costs, salt, ro water, electric, fish ect. Not trying to discourage you but don't want you to regret the hobby and be able to enjoy it.
If you are not handy and are uncomfortable building a stand you can post looking for some help, this is a strong community and you will get and see help from strangers, it is amazing.

The answer to your question however is yes it would work, but leaves you open to easy disasters.

Unread 12/17/2014, 06:55 PM   #42
Bsrt
Registered Member

Thanks for the input guys. I'm gonna slide a 40 gallon under it and have plenty of room for an eshopps psk-150 or larger and still have plenty of room after measuring. Once I get the center bracing out it opens the bottom up. I'm in no rush as my established 20 gallon with 10gallon diy sump is doing well. Should be interesting transferring over the lr and stock into the new tank. Hopefully getting some leds for the new tank for Xmas.

Unread 12/17/2014, 09:28 PM   #43
DrBoxedWine
Registered Member

Good luck! I'm jealous of your 125!

Unread 12/18/2014, 09:35 AM   #44
Bsrt
Registered Member

Thanks man

Unread 12/18/2014, 10:28 AM   #45
Shawn O
Registered Member

Just a suggestion: as stated earlier, remove the 2x4s running front to back on the top and bottom. When you add the plywood back you can also put plywood under and on top of the entire stand and add a small piece of trim around it to hide the edge of the plywood. This will allow you to use the entire height inside the stand and be somewhat water tight in the bottom few inches if you epoxy paint the inside when finished.

Good find on the tank and stand. Might be cheaper to use standard tank sizes for the sump and buy them from petco.

Shawn O is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2014, 12:49 PM   #46
Bsrt
Registered Member

Yep $1 per gallon tanks coming up december 24th. Thanks.