Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/21/2015, 06:55 PM   #1
Mightyfish
Registered Member

Is Hanna checker the most easy use test kit?

I currently use Red sea test kit for cal, mag and dkh but i found it quite difficult to determine correct chemistry level accruately. Measure by changing solution colour is tricky for me . I heard good things about hanna checker and it is not measured by colour change and thought whether i can get some feedback from you guys?

Mightyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2015, 07:48 PM   #2
JammyBirch
Aquaria Engineering

I think so. They have there own issues and annoyances. I have calcium, alkalinity and phosphate. There is no mag tester...I wish.

Alkalinity is great, hands down the best alk test out there. Calcium and phosphate are good, the problem is they both use powder reagents which for me really stinks. You never get all of the powder out of the pouch. Hanna knows this though and adds a calculated over dose to the pouches to account for what doesn't end up in the sample.

They are a great company, it's really nice the get a number and I find them to be very accurate and repeatable. They cost a lot up front but over time you actually save money by only having to buy reagents.

Current Tank Info: 25 gallon cube
JammyBirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2015, 11:20 PM   #3
tkeracer619
Registered Member

They are a bit clumsy to operate but once you get the hang of it they aren't so bad. It takes a bit of practice to get consistent results.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2015, 07:30 AM   #4
lllesley
Registered Member

I had hanna Alk Cal and Phos, sold the cal and alk only use the phos now.
Cal was very complictaed to use and found it only took the slightest error to get an incorrect reading, allk I thought was great but got a bad batch of reagent and alk dropped dangerously low, almost lost my livestock.
So salifert all the way now except for the Phos which I still use hanna.

lllesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2015, 07:50 AM   #5
dkeller_nc
Registered Member

You might try buying one of the Salifert alkalinity test kits and train yourself to recognize the color shift (this is presuming that you're not color blind). The Salifert alkalinity test kit makes this easy to do by giving you a standard solution with a known alkalinity value - you know you have the color change right if you get the stated value when you test it.

dkeller_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2015, 08:10 AM   #6
Pife
Registered Member

I like them except for the calcium test. It is almost worthless IMHO

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote