Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/26/2015, 05:50 AM   #1
Cal1415
Registered Member

Intro/ 90 gal build thread

Hello ladies and gents

I am somewhat new to the hobby I suppose, I have had a few tanks in the past but is has been a year or so. I had all of my past tanks while I was in school, so they were always jerry rigged things I bought off of craigslist. I decided recently that now that I am done with school and working my first real person job, I wanted to do another tank and do it right. Get what I want exactly from the start.

I haven't ordered it all yet, but the following is the stuff I have on hold at my local store. I will list it all with prices, to see what you folks think. My goal is to do it right this time and have a solid build, with good quality equipment. Not necessarily the most expensive, just good quality.

Tank- Red Sea reefer 350-$1500
I chose this tank because I wanted a rimless tank around 100 gal(the 350 is liters) and this one came with the cabinet, sump, refugium, auto top off, and all plumbing done. I originally wanted a DSA tank, but side by side couldn't see much difference in glass quality so I went with this one.

Skimmer- Reef Octopus classic 150int- $229.99

Return pump-not sure the brand, but 850gph-$129.99

Light- 2 kessil 160WE fixtures with controler-$439.99

The total after tax is $2410

This is some serious coin for me and if I'm gonna spend it I want to get this right, so I am open for suggestions if you guys think I'm doing something wrong with the setup.

This will also be my first refugium so I will need some help woth that, but I'll post in the appropriate forum for that. I also will still need to buy a few small things, light for the ref, test kits, that sort of smaller stuff. Thanks all for taking to read what turned out to be a long winded post.

Cal1415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2015, 06:03 AM   #2
Crusinjimbo
Registered Member

Looks like a great start. Recommend you add quality test kits for parameter monitoring, internal circulation pumps for good water movement in the tank and a GFO/GAC reactor. Be stingy on allocating sump space cause there is always something else that needs a spot. You may want to consider research on algae turf scrubbers (Advanced Forum) for inexpensive nutrient export down the road. Good luck!

13.5G EVO
Crusinjimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2015, 06:17 AM   #3
Cal1415
Registered Member

Ahh yes I forgot about the power heads. Gonna get a few of those as well. Maybe just 2 to start with. As far as the lage scrubbers, is that what the plants in the red are called. Or is that something else? Thanks for the reply!

Cal1415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2015, 12:49 PM   #4
Mom2jayden
Registered Member

Sounds good. But remember the most important thing in the hobby is water quality so research what the best equipment is for water quality maintainance and look at other ppl's reciews on the Internet. All the expensive equipment mean nothing if your water quality is crappy. Good luck!

Mom2jayden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
90 gallon build, red sea reefer