Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/10/2015, 04:55 PM   #1
bighead
Registered Member

What size

I am looking into starting a seahorse tank I just want a small tank 2 clowns maybe one or two small fish what would be the smallest tank I could use for this I don't want any larger than 20-25 gal

bighead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2015, 05:55 PM   #2
vlangel
Registered Member

Probably what you are hoping for tank size wise and tank mate wise will not really work for seahorses. A pair of seahorses should have a minimum of 30 gallons. Also clowns generally do not make good tank mates for seahorses as they tend to be on the aggressive side. Small gobies and shy fish are best. Even better is a dedicated tank just for seahorses.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2015, 10:13 PM   #3
rayjay
Registered Member

Basically you have eliminated the tank as a seahorse tank by not wanting over 25g.
As mentioned, clowns are NOT normally suitable for seahorses, especially as the clowns get larger and more territorial.
For a seahorse enthusiast wanting to learn the needs of them as potential for their tanks, one thread is not going to be able to tell you what you need to know for best chances of success.
You can google for a lot of info, check the older posts on this forum, and also go to other seahorse specific forums to glean what you need to know.
My blurb on things is here at My Thoughts on Seahorse Keeping

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2015, 06:38 AM   #4
cpbartak
Registered Member

There are a few of the medium-sized species that could do okay in a 20-25 gallon, but they're harder to find, not as social, and less hardy than the more commonly available erectus and reidi. A pair of h. fuscus or MAYBE h. barbouri could work on their own in a 25 without tankmates. Keep in mind you'd likely need a chiller.

Last edited by cpbartak; 10/11/2015 at 06:48 AM.
cpbartak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2015, 08:03 AM   #5
rayjay
Registered Member

Chillers can be avoided if you have whole house or at least room control of temperature. With AC you can keep the temp no higher than about 72/73 and the tank temp shouldn't get above 74.
H. fuscus have not been available for quite some time now in North America, and to the best of my knowledge the ONLY available smaller species are from seahorse.com but at prices that make it VERY unwise to spend for if you are not already an accomplished seahorse keeper.
Their H. capensis would be OK but they have been out of stock also.
Actually, I just checked and their H. fisheri are also out of stock so unless someone knows of a source of any of these smaller ones, they are not as of today, available.
H. barbouri IMO are too large as adults except for in a 25g tank with extra husbandry and extremely well kept water conditions, better than for any reef tank would need. Barbs are the most susceptible seahorses of any species I've kept over the years, for pouch emphysema, and it can be a tiresome chore dealing with this problem repeatedly when water conditions aren't excellent.
Unfortunately, the hobby test kits available to us do NOT tell us when that water quality is lacking to the point it is detrimental to the seahorses. i.e. for conditions that cause chemical imbalances in the seahorses and the conditions that lead to nasty bacterial infections.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2015, 08:16 AM   #6
cpbartak
Registered Member

Dan lists 20 gallons as ok for a pair of barbouri, but lists 30 gallons as the minimum for erectus and reidi: http://seahorsesource.com/?wpsc-product=h-barbouri-2
In my experience they do stay a bit smaller than the erectus. However, I wouldn't recommend starting with barbs if you've never kept seahorses before. They're definitely one of the harder seahorses to have long term success with.

Last edited by cpbartak; 10/11/2015 at 08:23 AM.
Unread 10/11/2015, 09:13 AM   #7
laga77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjay View Post
Chillers can be avoided if you have whole house or at least room control of temperature. With AC you can keep the temp no higher than about 72/73 and the tank temp shouldn't get above 74.
I am in the middle of setting up a 29G seahorse tank with a sump. With a small chiller and fan I can maintain 70F-71F with the house at 75, which is where we keep it. So I am assuming that will be acceptable for two seahorses?

Current Tank Info: 50G SPS/NPS Reef, 120G Mixed Reef, 120G FOWRL, 29G Seahorse tank, 20G Observation tank,
laga77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2015, 09:19 AM   #8
cpbartak
Registered Member

Typically, yes. However, it does depend on the species you're looking at, as some of the species (such as the temperate breviceps) need cooler. I'd suggest reading this: http://fusedjaw.com/diseasehealth/te...ahorse-source/
and http://fusedjaw.com/aquariumcare/ove...horse-species/