Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/24/2016, 12:48 AM   #1
cgilkey.msu.edu
Registered Member

Seahorse powerheads & other

Hello RC community,

1st timer to RC here. I'm interested in everyones input as to what powerheads you recommend for seahorses/pipefish. Im working with a standard 55gal drilled with a 10gal wet/dry triple filter sump. Have a waveline dc2500h return pump, RO 110INT protein skimmer, and 2 tunze 6015. These 6015s worry me. No chiller or seahorses/pipe yet but that's the plan here. My first priority is getting the right powerheads for no dead spots or dead seahorses/pipefish due to suction/tailchop. Would 2 Hydro Pico Evo Mag 180s work in replacement? 1 on each side? I see that people are wrapping Hydro Koralia Nanos for protection. Would 2 of the HKN 240s work in a 55? What about adding a Hydro flo rotating deflector? Also, if the power goes out how long does a seahorse have until suffocation? Sorry about the run here. I know it's a lot but I'm really trying to not kill anything if possible. Thanks for any help.

CG

Last edited by cgilkey.msu.edu; 02/24/2016 at 01:04 AM.
cgilkey.msu.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2016, 03:56 AM   #2
Joke
Registered Member

Use the powerhead of your choice and make a mesh cage around it.

Joke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2016, 10:01 AM   #3
vlangel
Registered Member

I use rio pumps. The guard on them is a tight, close grating and I have never seen one of my seahorses hitch to it. They do like to hitch to the wire however but there is no danger there. They are durable and economical to buy and there are lots of flow options in the low ranges. I use 80s and 180.
In regards to the electricity going out I have a Penn Plax battery back up on my tank with a plug so it senses when the electricity goes out. It automatically turns on. It requires 2 D batteries to operate and I think it would give you a minimum of 24 hours. They are under $20 at most lfs.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2016, 10:04 AM   #4
vlangel
Registered Member

Here is a pic of my battery backup pump.

Unread 02/24/2016, 11:39 AM   #5
rayjay
Registered Member

Please reconsider mixing seahorses and pipefish together unless you buy true captive bred pipefish from the same breeding source as the seahorses.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2016, 02:33 PM   #6
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjay View Post
Please reconsider mixing seahorses and pipefish together unless you buy true captive bred pipefish from the same breeding source as the seahorses.
Is there a problem mixing pipefish from ocean rider with seahorses from seahorse source? I was planning to add a couple pipefish to my Erectus tank at some point but I won't if it may cause problems.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2016, 02:36 PM   #7
Jeff4777
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
Is there a problem mixing pipefish from ocean rider with seahorses from seahorse source? I was planning to add a couple pipefish to my Erectus tank at some point but I won't if it may cause problems.
One could introduce pathogens or something harmful to the other in which it has no immunity to. Its a gamble.

Jeff4777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2016, 07:13 PM   #8
pfan151
Registered Member

Guess that makes sense. Probably won't risk it.

Unread 02/24/2016, 08:57 PM   #9
cgilkey.msu.edu
Registered Member

That's a great point about the pipefish and mixing them. This has been great info. That Penn Plex is a great idea too. Will look into the Rio heads. Sounds just like what I was looking for

Unread 02/24/2016, 11:29 PM   #10
rayjay
Registered Member

Quote:
In my mind, ANY mixing of syngnathid species is potentially a problem but the worst scenario I believe is mixing pipefish with seahorses. As I mentioned, the best case scenario would be OR's captive bred pipefish with their seahorses, but next case in line would be OR's captive bred pipefish with any captive bred seahorses. Because the OR's pipefish may have different pathogens than Dan's seahorses, it's possible that losses may occur, but the chances are NOT as great as if you used any other pipefish.
Why not ask Dan what HE thinks about the mixing?

Unread 02/25/2016, 01:14 PM   #11
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjay View Post
In my mind, ANY mixing of syngnathid species is potentially a problem but the worst scenario I believe is mixing pipefish with seahorses. As I mentioned, the best case scenario would be OR's captive bred pipefish with their seahorses, but next case in line would be OR's captive bred pipefish with any captive bred seahorses. Because the OR's pipefish may have different pathogens than Dan's seahorses, it's possible that losses may occur, but the chances are NOT as great as if you used any other pipefish.
Why not ask Dan what HE thinks about the mixing?
Good plan. I'll send them an email.

Unread 02/25/2016, 06:06 PM   #12
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Good plan. I'll send them an email.
Would you mind posting what Dan says as I would be interested in hearing. I have OR seahorses and an OR pipefish. I love having both but I would like to purchase seahorses from Dan from now on but I do still enjoy the pipefish in with them.

Unread 02/25/2016, 07:16 PM   #13
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlangel View Post
Would you mind posting what Dan says as I would be interested in hearing. I have OR seahorses and an OR pipefish. I love having both but I would like to purchase seahorses from Dan from now on but I do still enjoy the pipefish in with them.
Sure. I'll let you know.

Do your pipefish eat from the shell like the seahorses? Have you seen any breeding?

Unread 02/27/2016, 04:29 PM   #14
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Sure. I'll let you know.

Do your pipefish eat from the shell like the seahorses? Have you seen any breeding?
Yes, my pipe eats from a dish with the seahorses. No although I think I had a male and female(since they did not fight) but I never saw eggs or even behavoirs that look like courtship.

Unread 02/27/2016, 06:27 PM   #15
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlangel View Post
Yes, my pipe eats from a dish with the seahorses. No although I think I had a male and female(since they did not fight) but I never saw eggs or even behavoirs that look like courtship.
What happened to your other pipe?

Unread 02/28/2016, 06:02 PM   #16
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
What happened to your other pipe?
I am not really sure of the cause but somewhere around 6 mos it died. I always imagined that it was a female because it was always the smaller of the 2 but I don't know if that is an accurate way to guess. That was probably a year or more ago and the one I have left seems just fine without its companion.

Unread 02/29/2016, 12:57 AM   #17
cgilkey.msu.edu
Registered Member

Is there a good place to order a captive bred SH at a fair cost online?

Unread 02/29/2016, 07:24 AM   #18
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgilkey.msu.edu View Post
SeahorseSource is the way to go IMO

Unread 02/29/2016, 08:50 AM   #19
rayjay
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgilkey.msu.edu View Post
The key here is "fair cost".
What is a fair cost to the breeder is not often construed to be fair by the potential buyers.
Compared to the cheaper Asian imports that are tank bred/raised, true captive bred seahorses involve more costs to get to salable size due to the extra costs of properly treating and filtering the water to lessen the chances of pathogen kill off of the seahorses occurring once you purchase the seahorses.
However, if you have to replace your cheaper seahorses more often, the price could end up costing you much more than if you bought the true captive bred seahorses right from the start.
IMO, there IS no better place to buy than the already mentioned seahorsesource.com.

Unread 03/01/2016, 02:56 PM   #20
cgilkey.msu.edu
Registered Member

Perfect advise. Thanks