Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/16/2016, 02:42 PM   #1
bperau
Registered Member

diatom bloom due to new tank or not enough flow?

Upgraded my 75 to a 125 about a week ago. Used 200lbs of rock between what I had and what came with the 125 I bought. Purchased all new sand (20lbs dry, 60lbs live). I used about 30 gallons of new water, waited a couple days and added my fish and corals. All levels are good just starting to get diatoms on my sandbed and on some rocks. Wanted some input if people though it was due to a little cycle or not enough flow. I have 2 rio return pumps that say 2630 LPH, a maxspect gyre 130 and a jaebo rw8 on a low setting. Some rocks have diatoms, some have little bubbles on them and some rocks don't have anything on them.

bperau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2016, 02:59 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

It's pretty typical with a new tank and should burn itself out over the course of several weeks. Increasing flow will help reduce it by making it more difficult for it to attach but it's just one of the many cycles a new tank will go through in route to maturity.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2016, 04:44 PM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

welcome to a new tank..
Normal..

Unread 11/16/2016, 05:07 PM   #4
bizacon
Registered Member

Just the joys of a new tank. I am enjoying it myself as we speak.

Unread 11/16/2016, 06:56 PM   #5
bperau
Registered Member

Yeah when I set my 75 up it didn't last to long. I figured since I used all the rock and water from water changes I had circulating that I would avoid the algae stages

bperau is offline   Reply With Quote