Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/30/2017, 08:33 PM   #1
mindi
Registered Member

Aiptasia

I am about to build a new tank and transfer my existing rock. I have previously killed Aiptasia on individual rocks by pouring vinegar over the infected area in the kitchen sink...then returning to the tank after a few minutes. The acid does kill the Aiptasia, but I wonder if I also killed all the bacteria inside the rock..? So I am not sure how to best deal with the Aiptasia in the opportunity the transfer presents.
This is a result of not maintaining my long term attention with Aiptaisa-X...once it proliferates you just cant get back in control with spot killing. Self inflicted injury...and the excellent Copperband Butterfly I have introduced has only eaten a few small ones.

I am determined to get rid of the Aiptasia during the transfer one way or the other, even if I have to nuke the rock and start again.

Current Tank Info: Cade PR1500 with Seachem Kona Coast and Sanrise 120 LED
mindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2017, 10:08 PM   #2
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

a file fish also eats aiptasia. I think acid bath will kill the bacteria in the rock

JUNBUG361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2017, 10:26 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Vinegar can be used as a carbon source to actually feed bacteria (carbon dosing)..
But in the undiluted state/in excess it can absolutely kill certain types of bacteria (gram-negative).. (but I don't know enough about bacteria to answer the question completely)

I "think" that the beneficial bacteria in our tanks is gram-negative and thus would be killed by disinfectants (like vinegar at higher levels)..

Last edited by mcgyvr; 03/31/2017 at 10:37 AM.
mcgyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2017, 12:35 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Now having said that depending on how bad the infestation is there are better ways to eradicate aiptasia..
A localized dose of kalk paste (if just a few on a rock)..
To file fish, peppermint shrimp, berghia nudibranch,etc...

Unread 03/31/2017, 03:09 PM   #5
mindi
Registered Member

thanks for the replies

Unread 03/31/2017, 08:20 PM   #6
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Once pest anemones get a good foot hold you really need to resort to a biological solution. Individual eradication simply cannot keep up unless you are incredibly diligent and consistent (I am not). I'm quite fortunate in that my pyramid butterflyfish eat them, along with Xenia.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2017, 06:35 AM   #7
zeusfc
Registered Member

+1 for the tasseled filefish

I've had one for about a month, and he's completely eradicated the glass anemones that have plagued me for about two years… I mean HUNDREDS!
He did nip at some bush corals, but there's plenty of that in the tank, so I look at it as "pruning"!
'Trouble is they're so well camouflaged; mine's been MIA for a whole week, and has just turned up while I was writing this about him, in the _past_ tense!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 16 months with a temporary tank... That Reefspace can't come soon enough!
zeusfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2017, 10:14 AM   #8
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeusfc View Post
+1 for the tasseled filefish

I've had one for about a month, and he's completely eradicated the glass anemones that have plagued me for about two years… I mean HUNDREDS!
He did nip at some bush corals, but there's plenty of that in the tank, so I look at it as "pruning"!
'Trouble is they're so well camouflaged; mine's been MIA for a whole week, and has just turned up while I was writing this about him, in the _past_ tense!
Do you know how big the tasseled file fish will get? How big is your tank?

Unread 04/01/2017, 11:47 AM   #9
zeusfc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
Do you know how big the tasseled file fish will get? How big is your tank?

sorry; my mistake;common names aren't always the same, and are frequently wrong over here... I 100% mean MATTED filefish! Maximum size about 3&1/2"!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 16 months with a temporary tank... That Reefspace can't come soon enough!
zeusfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2017, 05:08 PM   #10
dpras8
Registered Member

Clown fish tank

Hi everyone, just wondering I have a clown fish ONLY tank and have a couple of rbt anenomes and was just wondering if the clowns will host it....i know it is seen as a pest but since I have only clownfish I was wondering if it is ok??

dpras8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2017, 05:10 PM   #11
dpras8
Registered Member

Sorry wanting to know if they will host aptasia not rbt��

dpras8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2017, 05:12 PM   #12
mindi
Registered Member

if your aiptasia are big enough to host clowns then you need to be attacking them with a shovel