Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/26/2017, 07:38 AM   #1
SkyReptiles
Registered Member

Nyos Quantum 120 help needed

I have been messing with this thing for almost four weeks now and still can't get it adjusted. I even did the "vinegar bath" before putting it in the tank. I have watched plenty of videos and read many threads and I still can't get it dialed in.

I have a Red Sea Reefer 250 and the Nyos Quantum 120. The water level in the sump is pretty close to 7 3/4". The manual recommends 8.5", but there are plenty of reefers that are running this skimmer in this tank with success.

For the break-in period I ran it full open with the air valve about halfway open. I ran it like that for about 5 days before I started playing with it.

The only way for me to get the water level even close to where it needs to be is to have the one valve fully closed and the air adjustment full closed. As soon as I give a tiny bit of air the level drops back down, and there are hardly any bubbles. So basically I have to have it fully closed and the air fully closed to get the water level up to where it needs to be.

Also, there are TONS of microbubbles coming out of this thing that make my display look horrible.

What do you guys think? Did I mess something up in assembly? I followed the directions and also watched assembly videos, so I don't think that's the case but I figured I'd ask.

Any suggestions on adjustments? I'm looking forward to your thoughts!

SkyReptiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2017, 10:03 AM   #2
zsuman101
Registered Member

close the exit gate until you get the water level up to the riser tube , then adjust your air intake the water will fall. keep closing the exit gate until the water level is right. the air bleed screw will be right down close if not touching the clear plastic tube it feeds from.also make sure the other small plastic tube is covered, it has a small piece of plastic that should have came with the unit . that tube is for ozone injection and needs to be closed off. it will start skimming imediately once you get it right. good luck. zsu

Unread 03/26/2017, 10:38 AM   #3
SkyReptiles
Registered Member

Thank you for the reply. Do you mean the tube on bottom with the cap on it? That cap is on.

When you say the air bleed screw will be close, do you mean the very tip of it will be close, or the larger part will be close (with the tip in the tube)?

Unread 03/26/2017, 10:54 AM   #4
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

Start from the beginning set the adjustment tube with arrow to middle with the arrow. Fully open the screw on the small cup. Can you put some under the skimmer, so it will be higher?

JUNBUG361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2017, 12:48 PM   #5
SkyReptiles
Registered Member

I'm not sure what you mean by setting tube with arrow to middle with the arrow. Can you explain that further?

Why would I want the skimmer to be higher? If anything it would have to go a little lower based on manufacturer suggestion.

Unread 03/26/2017, 02:20 PM   #6
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

Sorry the the adjustment tube with open & close arrows should have a center/middle. I thought the skimmer should be 8.5 below the water surface, unless im read it incorrectly

Unread 03/26/2017, 06:05 PM   #7
SkyReptiles
Registered Member

Does anybody else have any ideas? This is a huge disappointment for something that cost so much to do nothing.

Unread 03/26/2017, 07:26 PM   #8
zsuman101
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyReptiles View Post
Thank you for the reply. Do you mean the tube on bottom with the cap on it? That cap is on.

When you say the air bleed screw will be close, do you mean the very tip of it will be close, or the larger part will be close (with the tip in the tube)?
ok the cap is on good . the needle screw will probably just touch the plastic tube that should get you in the ballpark. too much air draw isnt a good thing. if you notice the water fluctuating in the gate valve riser tube you are using too much air. you can twist the whole gate valve assembly first too close it down, then when you are close too optimum water heighth use the fine tuning screw it says open and close on it. but get the air bleed screw into the tube first, it should just touch the small clear air inlet tube.

Unread 03/27/2017, 01:29 PM   #9
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyreptiles View Post
does anybody else have any ideas? This is a huge disappointment for something that cost so much to do nothing.
should of done more research

Unread 03/27/2017, 03:52 PM   #10
SkyReptiles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUNBUG361 View Post
should of done more research
To be honest, I did. Read several reviews and watched several movies. The majority was positive that I saw.

Unread 05/08/2017, 10:52 PM   #11
chgoblknazn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyReptiles View Post
To be honest, I did. Read several reviews and watched several movies. The majority was positive that I saw.
How's the skimmer working for you now?

Unread 05/09/2017, 05:22 AM   #12
Seeady66
Registered Member

They are terrible skimmers got rid of mine after the second cup cracked in 8 months.

Seeady66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2017, 04:56 PM   #13
chgoblknazn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeady66 View Post
They are terrible skimmers got rid of mine after the second cup cracked in 8 months.
How did it happen? My 120 arrives this week. Should I be nervous?

Unread 05/10/2017, 12:52 AM   #14
tklb
Registered Member

I have a Quantum 160 on my 120Gal and I absolutely love it.

tklb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2017, 07:44 AM   #15
Shotter
Registered Member

Yeah i was going to get one of these?! hmmm - good optiokn for the UK market i hear, Us have more options.

S

Shotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2017, 09:22 PM   #16
M4rtin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeady66 View Post
Looking for a quiet skimmer for my reefer 250, I'm guessing you would not recommend it.
Did you buy something that is as quiet as Nyos ?

M4rtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2017, 09:25 PM   #17
chgoblknazn
Registered Member

Nyos Quantum 120 help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4rtin View Post
Looking for a quiet skimmer for my reefer 250, I'm guessing you would not recommend it.
Did you buy something that is as quiet as Nyos ?
I love mine! It's the quietest of the 3 skimmers I have had.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited by chgoblknazn; 08/27/2017 at 10:55 PM.
chgoblknazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2017, 11:22 PM   #18
minus9
Registered Member

I'm buying the 160 for my 90g. Some people complain that the collection cup is hard to get off, but a little silicone grease will eliminate that issue.

minus9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2017, 11:41 PM   #19
chgoblknazn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minus9 View Post
I'm buying the 160 for my 90g. Some people complain that the collection cup is hard to get off, but a little silicone grease will eliminate that issue.

I was expecting to have this issue but I don't. It comes off easily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unread 02/06/2018, 08:29 PM   #20
daniel79
Registered Member

I agree with the OP. I bought this skimmer due to positive reviews. It has been nothing but a huge disappointment. I am having the exact same issues the OP had. I have been adjusting this skimmer for the past 4 weeks and I cannot get it dialed in correctly at all. I cannot seem to get the foam to rise into the stem of the collection cup, no matter how it is adjusted. It produces tons of micro bubbles as well. I also have a red sea reefer 250 so the skimmer depth is not the issue.

Daniel

daniel79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 08:45 PM   #21
Fishbulb2
Registered Member

"The water level in the sump is pretty close to 7 3/4". The manual recommends 8.5","

This sounds like your problem to me. Really. I understand that some people have made it work in a shallower sump, but by far the easiest way to raise the water level in the skimmer is just to submerge it deeper. You need to lower it. Then open up the air completely and open up the exit gate. Then slowly close the exit gate. The key is to set the water level to that recommended in the manual. You are off by a lot and that's going to make it finicky at best. I have the 160 and I just made sure to adjust my sump level to get it to the recommended depth.

FB

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon tank. SPS, LPS, few softies
Fishbulb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 09:28 PM   #22
daniel79
Registered Member

My skimmer sits in a little over 8 inches of water. Tomorrow I plan on calling ecotech, I believe the pump is faulty. In my case, it does not seem to have to power to overflow the cup when everything is closed.

Daniel

daniel79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2018, 07:23 PM   #23
mystikal
Registered Member

Just wanted to give any Nyos user some information. If you find this issues after cleaning, first time set up or randomly. Dons vinegar bath, and take your time assembling the unit. I can almost guarantee that the op had a small leak from assembling the body to the bottom. I had a similar issue and couldn’t figure it out by tinkering the adjustments. After looking closely at the unit, noticed the body didn’t sit in the grooves and the 4 screws were not secured properly.

Hope this helps anyone with a Nyos.
The skimmer is a beast once set up properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 07/26/2019, 08:16 PM   #24
minus9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystikal View Post
Just wanted to give any Nyos user some information. If you find this issues after cleaning, first time set up or randomly. Dons vinegar bath, and take your time assembling the unit. I can almost guarantee that the op had a small leak from assembling the body to the bottom. I had a similar issue and couldn’t figure it out by tinkering the adjustments. After looking closely at the unit, noticed the body didn’t sit in the grooves and the 4 screws were not secured properly.

Hope this helps anyone with a Nyos.
The skimmer is a beast once set up properly.

Agreed. Mine has been a beast. It gets the job done, efficiently.

minus9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2019, 10:18 PM   #25
ClownReef®
Bubbletrousing

I sold it because the directions are crap, there were zero videos in English on how to adjust. I sold it and got a Vertex. I love it.