Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/02/2020, 10:18 PM   #1
guric1van
Registered Member

Brittle stars waving their tentacles up

Yesterday when working on my tank, I saw some weird behaviour I have never seen before – all the brittle stars in my tank (dozens and dozens of them) started to wave their tentacles in the water (while the lights are still on). Looked like Aiptasia at first, but on closer inspection, their body was hiding from the light, but tentacles out. Anyone seen this before? Is this a sign of anything? Were they trying to catch something in the water stream? I probably loosened the substrate in the fuge, so maybe they could smell something?

guric1van is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2020, 11:48 PM   #2
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

Yep, they smell dinner from the messing about with the substrate, seen that many times in my tank after doing that also. Totally normal.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2020, 09:40 AM   #3
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

yeah, this happens. one other thing i've experienced from time to time is their mass spawning event.

sometimes after a large water change, the brittles will come out of the wood work, everywhere, spawn, then vanish again in to their crevices. it's quite a thing to behold.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2020, 11:14 AM   #4
Misled
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoBongo View Post
it's quite a thing to behold.
Yep, quite the awesome event IMO.