Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/11/2020, 11:28 AM   #1
texdoc77
Registered Member

My new tank

I had an SCA 150 which I liked. We moved, renovated and now I have a new space that needs a tank. If I go with the 60x24x24 the left side will be too close to a wall and I will not be able to access from that side of the tank (no glass scraping, or things like that). I have been toying around with like a 48" long by 32" wide but also making it 36" high. This will be a little more square and I plan on doing more of a central aquascaping. Anyway does anyone have any feedback as far as good and bad of a more square and higher aquarium? thanks in advance

SC

Current Tank Info: Currently Rebuilding
texdoc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2020, 12:33 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Well.. I'm a huge fan the aquascaping that can be achieved with tanks that are deeper (front to back).. You really get "depth" to the scene..
Anyone can aquascape when only really looking at left to right but when you need to incorporate that 3d dimension does it really get interesting..

Your scaping can be broken into sections with a "valley" down the middle that stuff can come off into the valley area,etc...

Stuff like this..

Unread 02/11/2020, 05:14 PM   #3
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

36 high brings challenges with lighting you don't need.
Then there is the of reaching the bottom when necessary.

Unread 02/11/2020, 05:53 PM   #4
lapin
Registered Member

My tank is 5 x 5 x 3. I have some experience with sq tanks being a bit higher than normal.
Its a challenge to do things at the bottom of the tank. For the first year you need to vac the bed, stir the sand, blow off rocks ect... After that first year you can let your creatures to the work.
Magnet cleaners are your best friend, along with some long handled tools and driveway poles

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote