Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/13/2006, 08:21 PM   #1
cjpacitto
Registered Member

Which is better, VHO or CF???

I've been trying to do my homework but haven't been finding the info I need. I am setting up a new 125gal. It will be fish and live rock only. I want to have reasonably good light to promote health and coraline algae growth, but I only have about $300 to work with right now. I'm looking at VHO and CF retro kits. I keep finding conflicting info, but to the best of my understanding, they produce a similar amount and quality of light but VHO bulbs last 6-12 months and CF bulbs last 12-18 months.

I'm really not sure on this and would appreciate any info. Is this correct or not? Any other thoughts on which are better and why?

cjpacitto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2006, 08:38 PM   #2
drummer34
Premium Member

For a fowler tank either would be a good choise. CF IMO are only good for 12 months as well. The bulbs on both run around the same price so it's really a matter of space and personal choise.

drummer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2006, 08:59 PM   #3
AZDesertRat
Moved On

URI VHO super actinics have the best color there is, PC doesn't compare.

AZDesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote