Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/23/2013, 03:13 PM   #26
jBugg
Registered Member

What do you mean when you "remove the optics" to get 120 degree spread? I plan on getting a Photon with 120 degree optics. Someone said they removed the (stock) optics to get 120 spread, then another said he removed the 120 deg optics?? Now I'm all confused. Any pics would help a noob like me.

jBugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2013, 03:22 PM   #27
Bigcefa
Registered Member

I ordered a value fixture with 120 degree optics, but it had no optics on it. So I'm assuming the LEDs with no optics is around 120 degree spread

Bigcefa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2013, 03:35 PM   #28
reeftivo
Skim junkie

when you say no optics you mean no cup over the diode?

The one I ordered for my friend was a 120 and it had the round optic cup (for lack of better word). BTW, The spread is great!!!

Current Tank Info: 60 gal cube/20g tideline sump-mixed reef, Aquamaxx c-tech Ca Rx, Akula 160 skimmer, paxbellum N18, mitras LX7 lighting with T-5s, apex controller
reeftivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2013, 03:39 PM   #29
dviper150
Registered Member

when i say optics, i mean the cover that goes over the led bulbs to make them more concentrated. I originally had 90 degree optics on it that I swapped over to 120 degree optics but still wasn't getting good enough spread. The par was great though! I now have taken off the optics from the leds completely and I am thinking maybe there are some colors that the optics should stay on for better penetration? What do you guys think? I was thinking of keeping the optics on all my blues and removing them from all my whites, reds, greens, uv, and violet. Good idea?

Unread 04/23/2013, 04:04 PM   #30
jBugg
Registered Member

Ok, i think i know what you mean now. Would there be any problems if you remove the optics? Perhaps moisture getting inside the fixture after long-term use?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

jBugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2013, 04:05 PM   #31
dviper150
Registered Member

the evergrow IT fixtures have a shield covering the leds so no moisture is going to them.

Unread 04/23/2013, 08:00 PM   #32
dixiedog
Registered Member

Hey, can one of you guys with the value fixture tell me what the spacing is on the hanging brackets? Just left-to-right is all I need.

I'd like to get my hanging hardware ready to go. One of these fixtures is in my immediate future, as soon as I make my wife understand we need it. Should only take a few days.

dixiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2013, 04:26 AM   #33
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedog View Post
Hey, can one of you guys with the value fixture tell me what the spacing is on the hanging brackets? Just left-to-right is all I need.

I'd like to get my hanging hardware ready to go. One of these fixtures is in my immediate future, as soon as I make my wife understand we need it. Should only take a few days.
It's just a hair over 8" apart. I have 1 hung from the ceiling and used the 8" wide spread. But I have 2 more hung off wall brackets and I spaced them with the outer brackets near the outer edge of the tank and just 1 in the middle. The wires form a 'W' and that helps keep them from swinging when bumped.

Unread 04/24/2013, 06:43 AM   #34
dixiedog
Registered Member

Thanks Ron!

dixiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2013, 07:16 AM   #35
amutti
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman926 View Post
How close to glass tops can these fixtures be placed? Can they be placed directly on the glass, say with some rubber feet as standoffs?
I made some wood brackets, kinda look like [ and ] for each side of the light to keep it an 1" or so off the glass (31" deep tank). I think it is a good idea to allow some air under the light for cooling.

amutti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2013, 08:55 AM   #36
greyreef
Registered Member

modifying D120's

Hope this is right thread to post this question...
Has anyone tried modifying the D120's , they are clearly using dimmmable drivers, probably with 0-10V triggers that the pots are linked to.
Anyone go into the guts and try to get signals from a reefkeeper 0-10V light module to those drivers?

Current Tank Info: 40 gal breeder 26 gal acrylic sump skimmerless cryptic zone chaeto
greyreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2013, 09:21 AM   #37
jg93
Registered Member

I ordered a photon 16 for my new 60 cube I'm building. It will be interesting to compare growth/color between these and my Vegas on my DT.

It was a hard call - I almost went 24 for the 10 extra bucks but I ended up feeling the 16 will actually suit my needs better (I actually like to have the outsides of my tank less lit and have less light 'spillage' into the room. I like keeping corals that have varying intensity needs.)

Anyways, after these ship and I get everything running I'll post more data.

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon Rimless mixed, 60 Gallon rimless cube Zoas & LPS
jg93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2013, 07:10 PM   #38
jmlyna001
Registered Member

light

wish i had the answer

jmlyna001 is offline   Reply With Quote