Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/27/2015, 08:39 AM   #26
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

1ppm is a lot of ammonia to just randomly show up in an established tank.

when you mix up your next batch of water, i would test it for ammonia prior to doing the change and introducing it to the tank. follow this thing down the rabbit hole, and try to determine where that spike came from.

in the future, it's never a bad idea to keep some water conditioners around for emergency use. i have a bottle of AmQuel and Prime on hand at all times, just in case the worst happens.

if there are other people in your house, especially children, make sure they're not doing any clandestine feedings during the day either. maybe dumping in too much, or something.

good luck, i hope everything turns OK.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2015, 08:40 AM   #27
gone fishin
Registered Member

Did you fix your sump baffles? Did you use silicone and did you give it enough time to cure before refilling?

Current Tank Info: 180gal DT, BM NAC77 skimmer,3 Maxspect razors, Maxspect Gyre 150, 30g QT
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2015, 08:44 AM   #28
FraggledRock
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoister View Post
Did you dry the sump after you rinsed with tap water? I would think the PVC cement would be dry enough after an hour but I'm incredibly paranoid about a tank crash so I always wait 24 hours for things to cure.

I mean the simple answer is, it's possible that the PVC cement released trace toxins, and it's possible that your tap water was not dried up well enough from the sump and released chlorine into the tank. It's really, really hard to say.

I would certainly run some carbon in the tank for a bit (i always do anyway) and just really hope for the best.

If your tank crashes completely, run it fallow for a while, doing water changes, carbon, anything you can do to negate toxins. If your tank does not crash I think you dodged a bullet.
I went to bed praying it doesn't.
i woke up praying it didn't
and I am here praying it wont.

I am going to go buy salt & water asap.

start draining once I get home and mixing new saltwater.

i really do hope the bullet gets dodged....

i really do...

really a small amount of tap water would do that? damn..

sadly my luck in life, my tank will turn into a toxic ooze by the time i get home.

staying positive though. even if it crashes...lesson learned.. lessons learned... =(

holding back the tears as manly as I could LOL

im debating leaving work earlier.

Current Tank Info: 40 Gallon Breeder w/ Bean Animal Overflow 20G Sump, Mixed Reef.
FraggledRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2015, 08:50 AM   #29
FraggledRock
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone fishin View Post
Did you fix your sump baffles? Did you use silicone and did you give it enough time to cure before refilling?
I used a little bit towards the top of the baffle. like a 4 inch strip 1/4 thick.

i let it sit for about 6 hours. it was hard.

it had a very faint vinegar smell, but i thought it was basically teh same as vinegar (acetic acid i think?).

would that cause a tank crash?

i probably did this to myself =(

Current Tank Info: 40 Gallon Breeder w/ Bean Animal Overflow 20G Sump, Mixed Reef.
Unread 02/27/2015, 08:51 AM   #30
FraggledRock
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoBongo View Post
1ppm is a lot of ammonia to just randomly show up in an established tank.

when you mix up your next batch of water, i would test it for ammonia prior to doing the change and introducing it to the tank. follow this thing down the rabbit hole, and try to determine where that spike came from.

in the future, it's never a bad idea to keep some water conditioners around for emergency use. i have a bottle of AmQuel and Prime on hand at all times, just in case the worst happens.

if there are other people in your house, especially children, make sure they're not doing any clandestine feedings during the day either. maybe dumping in too much, or something.

good luck, i hope everything turns OK.
yes I will get some emergency stuff today too!

thanks!

its in a room locked during the day.

th eonly way is if an adult opens it and lets the kid sin, but thats unlikely, but possible.

Unread 02/27/2015, 08:55 AM   #31
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraggledRock View Post
im debating leaving work earlier.
if you can, i would. people think i'm a little nutty, but i've done this before.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2015, 08:58 AM   #32
gone fishin
Registered Member

I have been known to leave on occasion for a tank issue.

Current Tank Info: 180gal DT, BM NAC77 skimmer,3 Maxspect razors, Maxspect Gyre 150, 30g QT
Unread 02/27/2015, 09:05 AM   #33
150Ron
Registered Member

Sounds like it was poisoned to me. Run some carbon, water change and hope for the best. Bummer...

Current Tank Info: 150gal custom reef, 36" Ruby Trigger Sump, Halide/T5 Lights, Reef Octopus 170SSS Skimmer, Reef Octopus 5500 controlable return, Maxspec Gyre xf150, Hydor Koralia Power Head 1150X2
150Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2015, 10:24 AM   #34
FraggledRock
Registered Member

This shed some light on a possibility:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-12/rhf/

Unread 02/27/2015, 12:47 PM   #35
FraggledRock
Registered Member

Ok here goes.

I bought the 50 gallon bag of IO salt.
prime
Carbon
Mesh bag for the carbon
Purigen

an hour to go til i head home.

fingers still crossed tightly

What do i do first?

- mix the salt, get to temp
- put the prime in the tank
-drain (100%)
- then refill?

halp.

Unread 02/27/2015, 02:33 PM   #36
sfoister
Registered Member

Fixing this issue, if it's a toxic issue may be best tackled like shaving a beard. Reduce, don't remove... I wouldn't drain 100% I don't think. Maybe 50%, then another 50% if no improvement is seen.

sfoister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2015, 02:43 PM   #37
kottok.motors
Registered Member

Quote:
the sand was not good sand. It was from the beach. Which is why i took it out.
Did you just take this out when you did your sump changes? If so, this could be your culprit, pulling too much bateria out at once, and releasing a bunch of crap underneath.

kottok.motors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2015, 03:05 PM   #38
FraggledRock
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoister View Post
Fixing this issue, if it's a toxic issue may be best tackled like shaving a beard. Reduce, don't remove... I wouldn't drain 100% I don't think. Maybe 50%, then another 50% if no improvement is seen.

Ok ill do multiple changes

Unread 02/27/2015, 03:05 PM   #39
FraggledRock
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kottok.motors View Post
Did you just take this out when you did your sump changes? If so, this could be your culprit, pulling too much bateria out at once, and releasing a bunch of crap underneath.

Thats my fear

Unread 02/27/2015, 04:08 PM   #40
Corriebh
Registered Member

I don't have any words of wisdom regarding the tank, but I do like to see the silver lining in every cloud and there has to be one here. This is a learning experience not just for you but for all of us! Keep posting, know we all hope things work out well and thank you for sharing even bad news.

Corriebh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2015, 04:17 PM   #41
gone fishin
Registered Member

I think I would get your water mixing, If you still got ammonia put some prime in. After you get the water change done then get the carbon in there. Just my 2 cents

Unread 02/27/2015, 04:57 PM   #42
Kenmx10
Registered Member

Quote:
I used a little bit towards the top of the baffle. like a 4 inch strip 1/4 thick.

i let it sit for about 6 hours. it was hard.

(
Just curious, what type silicone did you use?

Kenmx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2015, 08:18 PM   #43
FraggledRock
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corriebh View Post
I don't have any words of wisdom regarding the tank, but I do like to see the silver lining in every cloud and there has to be one here. This is a learning experience not just for you but for all of us! Keep posting, know we all hope things work out well and thank you for sharing even bad news.

Thanks! I have an update.

I got home and I put prime in the tank to get the cleansing started.

I drained 50% of the water.

I couldn't wait overnight for the water to mix so i waited an hour.

What I found:
- My yellow tang died.
- My Royal Gramma died.
- I cant find one of my Clowns, but I did find the other one , but still lethargic and breathing heavy, a bit more active. it disappeared after about an hour, no sure if its hiding or what
- All my Zoas are closed (possibly dead).
- My Rainbow Acans Lord were contracted but are now puffing up now
- My Ricordia looks bad, but they might come back
- My Duncan looks like it wants to open but the polyps look burned up.
- There was a white film all over everything, not sure what it was.
- the tank looks clean but the main tank looks cloudy though not sure why
- Skimmer is not pulling any skimmate. clean water im guessing.
- All my inverts are still alive. snails, crabs, serpent star. it could be a sign the corals are just stressed and not dead.
- no more rotten egg smell, or not as potent (hydrogen sulfide)

What should i do now? or not do?

Unread 02/27/2015, 08:19 PM   #44
FraggledRock
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmx10 View Post
Just curious, what type silicone did you use?
GE Type I

Unread 02/27/2015, 08:19 PM   #45
FraggledRock
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone fishin View Post
I think I would get your water mixing, If you still got ammonia put some prime in. After you get the water change done then get the carbon in there. Just my 2 cents
i just put 2 full bags of carbon filled to the brim to pull all I can out.
thanks!

Unread 02/27/2015, 08:29 PM   #46
JamesHolt
Registered Member

There was a white film all over everything, not sure what it was.

Happened to me when I rushed a repair on a baffle in my freshwater tank, came from the silicone not being cured out

Current Tank Info: 29g with 2 Engineer gobies
JamesHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2015, 08:43 PM   #47
FraggledRock
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHolt View Post
There was a white film all over everything, not sure what it was.

Happened to me when I rushed a repair on a baffle in my freshwater tank, came from the silicone not being cured out
damn....

Unread 02/27/2015, 09:10 PM   #48
Marchillo
Registered Member

I found a thread on another site. Guy put in a new sump and put a ton of silicone where it was needed. Despite waiting 48 hours not all the silicone cured bc he overdid it. The fish all died. If the silicone isn't cured it will continue to poison the tank. He had to breakdown his sump and scrap all the silicone away and start over. I'm not sure if your probably will go away if this is your issue and you don't allow it to cure.

I'm no expert but that's what I read. Definitely worth a Google search. Sorry for your losses.

Marchillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2015, 10:09 PM   #49
FraggledRock
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchillo View Post
I found a thread on another site. Guy put in a new sump and put a ton of silicone where it was needed. Despite waiting 48 hours not all the silicone cured bc he overdid it. The fish all died. If the silicone isn't cured it will continue to poison the tank. He had to breakdown his sump and scrap all the silicone away and start over. I'm not sure if your probably will go away if this is your issue and you don't allow it to cure.

I'm no expert but that's what I read. Definitely worth a Google search. Sorry for your losses.
yea, i learned a few big extremely valuable lessons in 24 hours =/

Unread 02/28/2015, 12:43 AM   #50
FraggledRock
Registered Member

So I can go to sleep a bit happier.

My duncan is polyping out.

i see one of my clowns again alive and kicking.

these are water test results:
temp:76
Ammonia 0.1 (remnants from crash?)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Alkalinity 11 (Instant ocean)
calcium 500 (calcium precipitaion in water?)
magnesium 1300