Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/28/2015, 03:20 AM   #51
Reefer54
Registered Member

glad things are starting to settle down a bit.....bummer for the losses. hard lessons go unforgotten far longer. In any case, i would settle down a bit on the water changes, let the tank do it's thing....wait for the nitrates to rise then do a water change...you are cycling again after all.

good luck, have fun.

Current Tank Info: 36 x 36 x 25 Cube, mixed reef, A360WE x 3, A350N x 1, 40GB sump, RDSB, Remote LR Cryptic, 2 WP-40's, ummm....
Reefer54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2015, 10:50 AM   #52
FraggledRock
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer54 View Post
glad things are starting to settle down a bit.....bummer for the losses. hard lessons go unforgotten far longer. In any case, i would settle down a bit on the water changes, let the tank do it's thing....wait for the nitrates to rise then do a water change...you are cycling again after all.

good luck, have fun.

Thanks!

The only thing i cant figure out is the white cloudiness... I added a hob filter with more carbon. Hopefully it clears soon.

Current Tank Info: 40 Gallon Breeder w/ Bean Animal Overflow 20G Sump, Mixed Reef.
FraggledRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2015, 12:17 PM   #53
Sgt Jonny Cat
Registered Member

Hey man...I'm glad you didn't suffer a total loss. You're one of the guys I follow regularly on this forum and I'm glad you'll be hanging around. Good luck.

Current Tank Info: 55 Gallon
Sgt Jonny Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2015, 12:19 PM   #54
Kenmx10
Registered Member

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't think the GE silicone was safe for aquarium use. Im guessing that the silicone is the problem.

Kenmx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2015, 01:05 PM   #55
FraggledRock
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Jonny Cat View Post
Hey man...I'm glad you didn't suffer a total loss. You're one of the guys I follow regularly on this forum and I'm glad you'll be hanging around. Good luck.

Hey thanks! I made foolish mistakes, but it takes more than that to make give up. Im just sad about the fiish suffering :/

Current Tank Info: 40 Gallon Breeder w/ Bean Animal Overflow 20G Sump, Mixed Reef.
Unread 02/28/2015, 01:06 PM   #56
FraggledRock
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmx10 View Post
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't think the GE silicone was safe for aquarium use. Im guessing that the silicone is the problem.

More than likely was the cause :/

I read many threads that type 1 was the right kind...

Unread 03/01/2015, 11:39 AM   #57
FraggledRock
Registered Member

So another update

I've been running my skimmer I have some filters running clearing stuff out , i got polyester filter to clean out all the small stuff from uding the prime which it is clearing up however now I'm getting a massive amount of brown buildup on top of all the rocks and sandbed

I'm guessing that this is die off because I'm seeing dead copepods and just stuff building up I'm going to siphon it all out. Cant figure out what that is that pretty much just a whole bunch of die off of bacteria and just life in the aquarium?

Also regards to the last remaining fish, I think he's blind though!

his eyes have a white kind of film over them I don't know if this is from the ammonia toxicity if this is going to go away but he doesn't seem to know where up down left to right is he still alive you still swimming he's he's got some power to his swimming but he just doesn't see anything shy lights on him he doesn't move away his next move the fishnet next to him he didn't move so probably he may die from starvation since he's not eating I put food right in front to him and it's almost as though he's just not seeing anything. I cant find the other fish. No dign of a body :/ weird. Maybe cuc got it.

Can anyone tell me what the brown buildup possibly is what I can do to get rid of most of it other than siphoning and any other ways to clean the water column

All the snails don't seem to be surviving. I keep putting them up back on the rocks and I'll find them within an hour on their back. so I'm saying that's pretty much every single snail a few crabs actually have gone missing. I don't know if that was during cleanup so any other help would be helpful

Thanks

Last edited by FraggledRock; 03/01/2015 at 11:51 AM.
Unread 03/01/2015, 11:48 AM   #58
Marchillo
Registered Member

Is this a clown?

Maybe someone else can chime in. My clowns eat flakes while we hold them if the water (hand feeding). Maybe you can net him, bring him to the top and try to feed him at the surface by putting food in his mouth? Not sure how stressful this might be. If you place the food on his mouth maybe he'll eat?

Marchillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2015, 12:14 PM   #59
FraggledRock
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchillo View Post
Is this a clown?

Maybe someone else can chime in. My clowns eat flakes while we hold them if the water (hand feeding). Maybe you can net him, bring him to the top and try to feed him at the surface by putting food in his mouth? Not sure how stressful this might be. If you place the food on his mouth maybe he'll eat?
Yes it's a clown.

I thought of that, but im thinking long term :/

I dont want to freak him out every feeding...

Unread 03/01/2015, 12:17 PM   #60
Marchillo
Registered Member

Long term meaning if there is permanent damage then you don't want him to suffer keeping him alive? Starvation seems like a terrible way to go. You are in a no win on this. Sorry this is happening.

Marchillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2015, 12:32 PM   #61
FraggledRock
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchillo View Post
Long term meaning if there is permanent damage then you don't want him to suffer keeping him alive? Starvation seems like a terrible way to go. You are in a no win on this. Sorry this is happening.
Yes exactly my point. Id hate to see it perish from starvation (((

Unread 03/01/2015, 01:06 PM   #62
Sk8r
RC Mod

Things ALWAYS to have. Buckets marked FISH ONLY DO NOT USE. Enough salt to make 30 gallons of water. A 30 gallon spare tank with aeration and heater. Prime. Amquel. Test strips and test kits. Carbon. Polyfilter.

Run carbon. It will absorb organics. It will absorb metals like copper from pipes, etc. If you have polyfilter, run a snippet of that and see if it turns color.

Most of all have a cabinet (maybe under the tank) where you have a set of buckets and such that are never to be used for anything else.

It is also possible that the water was way off in temperature. I've seen fish react like that to a bath in too-warm water.

If you've got a Petco or Petsmart they may have Prime.

Wishing you every kind of luck. Learning the 'moves' in this hobby is a learning curve. YOu can so easily think you've planned everything and then forget to plug something back in or forget to test something. It's a learning curve, and at crisis moments, a very steep one.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2015, 01:07 PM   #63
FraggledRock
Registered Member

Im debating starting from scratch...

What do i do?

Can i reuse the sand?

Do i clean the rocks somehow?

Do i clean the tank glass eith anything?

Would it beca waste to do a complete restart?

All my livestick is 90% gone so...

Unread 03/01/2015, 01:10 PM   #64
FraggledRock
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Things ALWAYS to have. Buckets marked FISH ONLY DO NOT USE. Enough salt to make 30 gallons of water. A 30 gallon spare tank with aeration and heater. Prime. Amquel. Test strips and test kits. Carbon. Polyfilter.

Run carbon. It will absorb organics. It will absorb metals like copper from pipes, etc. If you have polyfilter, run a snippet of that and see if it turns color.

Most of all have a cabinet (maybe under the tank) where you have a set of buckets and such that are never to be used for anything else.

It is also possible that the water was way off in temperature. I've seen fish react like that to a bath in too-warm water.

If you've got a Petco or Petsmart they may have Prime.

Wishing you every kind of luck. Learning the 'moves' in this hobby is a learning curve. YOu can so easily think you've planned everything and then forget to plug something back in or forget to test something. It's a learning curve, and at crisis moments, a very steep one.

Thanks so much!

Yes i need to get the emergency stuff. I have buckets. That day I didnt have salt. :/

Can I run carbon 24/7?

Unread 03/01/2015, 01:11 PM   #65
Sk8r
RC Mod

Get some polyfilter and run it as well as carbon, 24/7 for several weeks. Polyfilter can absorb many obnoxious things. Chemical may take time to soak out. But restart your tank with the same sand and rock---bacteria inside will have survived. Run polyfilter and just start with snails and crabs and see if they're ok. If they're ok after a few weeks, and with no appearance of ammonia or likelihood of a cycle, ie---it'll process a little fishfood for the crabs and snails without problem---you'll be ok for fish. It's POSSIBLE it will cycle as late as 4 weeks in, but I kind of expect it will just rebuild its bacteria and go ok without a noticeable crisis.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2015, 01:12 PM   #66
Phildirt
poisson voyeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraggledRock View Post
So another update

his eyes have a white kind of film over them I don't know if this is from the ammonia toxicity
After something stressful fish can be predisposed to bacterial infections. Might be what this is. Make sure your hospital tank is free from any rocks/sand/etc from your crashed tank. You might want to treat for infection, but just a clean fresh environment and time to heal may work as well. If the damage is too much he may not recover. Good luck.

Current Tank Info: 29 Gal Reef
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2015, 01:20 PM   #67
FraggledRock
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
After something stressful fish can be predisposed to bacterial infections. Might be what this is. Make sure your hospital tank is free from any rocks/sand/etc from your crashed tank. You might want to treat for infection, but just a clean fresh environment and time to heal may work as well. If the damage is too much he may not recover. Good luck.

I font have a hospital setup any longer. My old 10g broke when cleaning it.

So just keep doing water changes? Or you recommend a complete overhaul?

Unread 03/01/2015, 01:23 PM   #68
FraggledRock
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Get some polyfilter and run it as well as carbon, 24/7 for several weeks. Polyfilter can absorb many obnoxious things. Chemical may take time to soak out. But restart your tank with the same sand and rock---bacteria inside will have survived. Run polyfilter and just start with snails and crabs and see if they're ok. If they're ok after a few weeks, and with no appearance of ammonia or likelihood of a cycle, ie---it'll process a little fishfood for the crabs and snails without problem---you'll be ok for fish. It's POSSIBLE it will cycle as late as 4 weeks in, but I kind of expect it will just rebuild its bacteria and go ok without a noticeable crisis.

Awesome thanks!

It just hurts since my tank was just getting going in the right direction. Cotals living, fish thriving and then bam.

Unread 03/01/2015, 01:26 PM   #69
FraggledRock
Registered Member

Ive been constantly putting new polyester filter to clean as much as possible... Each round shape is within minutes of siphone filtering through a powerhead intake

Unread 03/01/2015, 01:30 PM   #70
FraggledRock
Registered Member

The duncan

Unread 03/01/2015, 01:33 PM   #71
FraggledRock
Registered Member

I named him lucky.. I hope for longer than i fear