Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/02/2017, 11:31 AM   #51
anthonys51
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Talk to me tomorrow night.

Will do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anthonys51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2017, 07:24 PM   #52
Timfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonys51 View Post
Just got the Milwaukee low range tester and results was 2.06 and 2.00

Also tested on salifert got
.50 ppm. Maybe a little darker but pretty close to .50 ppm

The Milwaukee I got 2.00 and 2.06. That's a big difference. So what test is right.

. Plus how can my monti Green slimmer and blue acro still be living with 2 ppm phosphates . . .
FYI .5 ppm is the upper range found on reefs. Also, upwellings can expose reefs to levels as high as 2.0 ppm. Paradoxicly increasing PO4 across the range found on reefs reduces calcification in corals but increases their growth rate.

Unread 02/04/2017, 09:37 PM   #53
anthonys51
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timfish View Post
FYI .5 ppm is the upper range found on reefs. Also, upwellings can expose reefs to levels as high as 2.0 ppm. Paradoxicly increasing PO4 across the range found on reefs reduces calcification in corals but increases their growth rate.

How can you increase growth and slow calcification. Please explain. Also if there an article you found this in

Unread 02/05/2017, 11:36 AM   #54
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

I don't think you can "reduce" calcification and increase growth rates.

As for the "paradox" in some tanks with high nutrients , it may be that high phosphate provides more energy to move calcium and carbonate to calcification sites via ATP(Andenosine Tri Phosaphate) and enhanced zooxanthelae density. While at the same time , the higher PO4 alters the calcification process by poisoning some calcification sites resulting in less dense coral skeletal mass.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2017, 12:46 PM   #55
anthonys51
Registered Member.

So they might grow faster but will be weaker. I think I understand

Unread 02/06/2017, 10:55 AM   #56
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

That's the theory.

There is at least one paper out there, that I recall ,which shows some increased stoney coral growth rates at higher PO4 rates including more but less dense skeletal mass at higher water column PO4 levels but those corals have weaker less dense skeletons.

My thought is those accounts don't indicate less calcification which could actually involve more calcification driven by the energy the coral gets from high PO4 increasing it's ability to move calcium and carboante to the skeltal matirix but resluting in altered skeletal growth from the PO4 in the water's effect on some of the nucleation sites.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote