Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/10/2013, 01:22 PM   #1251
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

6 months mike it takes 6 months, sps do not change over night or even within a month

but I was asked not to input - Sorry marty, I just dont like customers buying more than they need, not how we do things here

Ecotech powered, OLD Profilux 3 but looking to upgrade when market settles, Seneye Monitored, Bubble Magus DC Skimmed.

Current Tank Info: Floating about on the water enjoying semi retirement!!
AQD_ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2013, 01:26 PM   #1252
MSHUR
ugust 2011

6 months mike it takes 6 months, sps do not change over night or even within a month

ohh, i know that buddy)

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy crystal glass, Profilux network system,PS -Diuna T5-10 bulbs, BK SM-300
MSHUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2013, 01:48 PM   #1253
marty9876
Registered Member

Two references to 72' tanks are using 4x units. gnisten & mshur

Not trying to beat you up Micheal, just wanting to know what I'm getting into here.

marty9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2013, 03:55 PM   #1254
Keyvan S
Registered Member

I use three on a 72x26x24 in this order (lll), IMO all you require is four units. Now if you feel that you require more after using the three units, then buy another one later.
As Michael said "save your money" and tryout four first.
There is no saving in buying fours or eight units at once.....actually you will lose money if tried to sale the unused ones.

KS

Keyvan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2013, 04:32 PM   #1255
Anim8me2
Registered Member

Most people forget that while led May look like less light you are actually getting greater PAR.
Start with 3 and add a fourth if you think you need it.
I planned on having darker corners in my 72 with three units so I could place acans and other non light craving corals. I ended up having to use gorgonians and sponges to provide shade.

Anim8me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2013, 05:18 PM   #1256
dattong
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty9876 View Post
Can some Mitras users, not AQD_ottawa , give me their opinions on how many units I'd need for a 96x36x30 tank? 3 units in - - - or 4 units in | | |, or would I need more? SPS tank, open rock work.

Seems LED users sometimes get surprised at times with coverage and end up needing more units down the road with shading etc.
I would do 4 at least 5 is better for more light sources. I'm currently running two on 36" x 24" area. They cover pretty well. I can basically place SPS anywhere.

dattong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2013, 07:30 AM   #1257
marty9876
Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback, trying to get an idea of the overall potential cost. My general thinking is:

3 units- Mitras
4 units- on the fence Mitras or ATI hybrid
5-8 units- might as well go ATI hybrid at that point from a cost/coverage point of view

Unread 12/11/2013, 07:38 AM   #1258
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

absolute no way do you need more than 4.

In my own view ATI hybrid is just T5 with some shimmer effect LEDS added, once you take into account the cost of T5 bulb replacement the units become very expensive over time. With the Mitras you get more than a T5 could ever offer and with no bulb replacement, so even with 4 units it will pay for itself.

Go with 4 units and it will pay for itself!

Ecotech powered, OLD Profilux 3 but looking to upgrade when market settles, Seneye Monitored, Bubble Magus DC Skimmed.

Last edited by AQD_ottawa; 12/11/2013 at 08:09 AM.
Unread 12/11/2013, 08:25 AM   #1259
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQD_ottawa View Post
absolute no way do you need more than 4.

In my own view ATI hybrid is just T5 with some shimmer effect LEDS added, once you take into account the cost of T5 bulb replacement the units become very expensive over time. With the Mitras you get more than a T5 could ever offer and with no bulb replacement, so even with 4 units it will pay for itself.

Go with 4 units and it will pay for itself!
Michael,

Have you had the chance of seeing the ATI Hybrid in person or used one at all?

The LEDs they used and reflector they created are much more than just shimmer LEDs. They look better than 99% of the LED systems I've seen and dealt with.

Not trying to argue or anything. They are both great lights. I'd personally never go back to all LEDs again after having this LED PowerModule. Bulb replacements are so cheap in all reality. People spend more in a month buying fancy coffee than you will in a year for bulbs.

Just thought I'd share. Still hoping to see a Mitras in person but I don't think there is one in Utah anywhere!

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2013, 08:31 AM   #1260
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

Thanks for the input but as this is the Mitras Club its best we stick to the brand in the club title otherwise it will free fall, them vs us.

I think there is a Hybrid vs Mitras thread somewhere for people to look up and post their thoughts.

Unread 12/11/2013, 08:53 AM   #1261
marty9876
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQD_ottawa View Post
Thanks for the input but as this is the Mitras Club its best we stick to the brand in the club title otherwise it will free fall, them vs us.

I think there is a Hybrid vs Mitras thread somewhere for people to look up and post their thoughts.
Agreed, sorry for taking things a bit sideways. My intention and hope is to hear from Mirtas users their thinking on why they went Mitras and first hand experience with using the product. Often theory and reality are different stories once someone has used a product for a time and the only want to get that information is from the users themselves.

Mitrus is a great, highly functional, sexy package with great support which is really making this decision for me tough. Trying to sort out the facts (number needed etc.) is hard enough with out all the subjective factors (glowing fish, coral growth and coloration rates etc.)

Unread 12/22/2013, 02:17 PM   #1262
smb2415
Registered Member

Any thoughts or examples of using mitras on a 42" tall tank for a mixed reef. planning on sps, lps, softies, etc

if it could reach that depth (website shows only to 30") what would be the coverage area.

Unread 12/22/2013, 03:03 PM   #1263
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

we have a couple of tanks with SPS on the bottom at 48"

the coverage area is 36x36" but the bottom is always subjective to landscape and water diffusion with any LED light but as above we do have clients running at deeper depths than 42"

Unread 12/27/2013, 05:15 PM   #1264
smb2415
Registered Member

still researching and debating the mitra purchase. can you provide me an update as to the wireless abilities of the mitra without a profilux?

Is the wireless card included in the mitra purchase? if not, what is the additional cost?

Can I program from a laptop wirelessly without a profilux?

Are there plans to enable control form an APEX?

Unread 12/27/2013, 05:31 PM   #1265
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

the hub which is for non profilux owners is due for release early 2014, i know its being worked on right now.

The mitras comes with the wireless card built in so it is ready for the hub, it is also the same card that it uses already to communicate with other mitras's wirelessly.

Yes with the hub you will be able to program wirelessly without a profilux

I am told the apex does not have enough capabilities for the Mitras. The Mitras uses dedicated protocols.

Unread 12/27/2013, 11:49 PM   #1266
andyrm66
Registered Member

Hi, I've got a 36"x36"x20" tank, will one 6200HV be enough or do I really need 2?

The product page shows 300 liters max, which is 79 gallons, I have about 100 in the dt.

Thanks!

andyrm66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2013, 07:30 AM   #1267
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

HI have the same size tank but 24" in depth and one gives over spill with zero dark areas, one is more than enough

Unread 12/28/2013, 02:19 PM   #1268
andyrm66
Registered Member

and enough light for all types of corals?

Thanks!

Unread 12/28/2013, 02:50 PM   #1269
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

More than enough you will be running your lamp at max 80% intensity in eco mode, anymore with your depth and you will bleach everything out.

Unread 12/29/2013, 06:11 PM   #1270
andyrm66
Registered Member

If I don't have a GHL controller do I have to use a cable to the PC to program lights or can I use Wifi and my laptop?

Unread 12/29/2013, 06:15 PM   #1271
MSHUR
ugust 2011

Andy,
USB cable. its fast and easy.

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy crystal glass, Profilux network system,PS -Diuna T5-10 bulbs, BK SM-300
MSHUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2013, 09:11 PM   #1272
andyrm66
Registered Member

What about hanging options? I've got a ATI 8x24 this would be replacing and its hung with L brackets to the wall since its in a room with vaulted ceilings. I hate the way the ATI is hung, does GHL offer anything for those with vaulted ceilings?

Having another way could be the deal maker/breaker.

Unread 12/30/2013, 06:40 AM   #1273
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

the GHL Mitras comes with hanging kits included.

Unread 12/30/2013, 12:14 PM   #1274
andyrm66
Registered Member

I have a vaulted ceiling so wire hangers don't work for me, I need a different style. Does GHL have anything similar to what AI has with the rail mounts that go on the stand?

Unread 12/30/2013, 12:38 PM   #1275
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

there are so many different scenarios for everyone in regards to mounting, instead of investing in various different options that would be low sellers, GHL just offer the on option but as you will see from this thread everyone has easily used their own DIY method when the hangers are not what they require.