Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/19/2009, 06:46 PM   #1276
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebkramer View Post
Hi again. My sandbed is about 2-3 in. My pH had dropped a whole point when it crashed, which happened 3 weeks ago. All my other water parameters were fine, besides my nitrates. However I had been dealing with my nitrates at 60 for about 8 mos. I have no idea what happened. I came home after being gone for an hour and found all my little "bugs" floating at the top of my tank. It smelled like alcohol and was greasy!?!? All my fish were in a panic and had air bubbles all over them? I quickly put everything in a QT. I ended up eventually losing all my fish, my starfish (black brittle and sandsifter) all my leather corals (except my zoos and buttons) and lost my hard corals (my monti & black tubastrea might pull through), all my snails died within days. My anemone made it through..but then died when QT started going through nitrogen cycle. All I have left are 3 hermits, red emerald and a nassarius (not sure what saved him). My rocks looked they were bleached & felt greasy, but are doing great again. Now I'm dealing with a fungus on some of my corals..its literally eating them from the base. Its a weird, white, cobweb-like substance. I try to blow it off and the polyps fall right off. Using Revive for that and ripping off dead tissue. My water parameters are now perfect, just waiting a couple weeks before adding any new life. Do you have any idea what may have happened? I can't believe my LFS do not have any ideas. Thanks.
I honestly don't know but I am sure PaulB will. I have sent him your post

Here is the link to the threadL

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...711320&page=15

Warning --go there at your own risk--the thread is infected with humor

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2009, 09:35 PM   #1277
ace2002
Registered Member

been here since 2006

ace2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2009, 10:48 PM   #1278
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace2002 View Post
been here since 2006
2006.... It's about time you came out the shadows. I bet you have tons of knowledge to pass on to the RC community.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2009, 11:37 PM   #1279
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterlimonpot View Post
2006.... It's about time you came out the shadows. I bet you have tons of knowledge to pass on to the RC community.
Sister---I noticed you have a couple of blog entries. Since they trashed my 250 blogs on here(archived with no editing allowed) I have not been able to find out how to make up new ones?

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 11/20/2009, 12:48 AM   #1280
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

easy enough scott, just click on blogs on the main tool bar and it will say your blog, click on that and it will say post to your blog, by the way all your blogs are safe in waterkeepers sticky at the top of the forum, i was actually reading your blog yesterday for information, its still there, you could just copy and paste the whole thing into your new blog and put a link to it into your signature.

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2009, 07:56 AM   #1281
thebkramer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_hylinur View Post
I honestly don't know but I am sure PaulB will. I have sent him your post

Warning --go there at your own risk--the thread is infected with humor

Thanks lots Capn!! Very much appreciated!

thebkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2009, 09:03 AM   #1282
Paul B
Premium Member

I actually got on that thread but I still don't know the answer. There is nothing inherent in a tank that I know of that would smell like alcohol or be greasy. That happened to me twice but both times my submersible powerhead overheated spewing oil and melted plastic in the tank, but he said, that did not happen.
I would be very surprised if nothing fell or was placed in the tank by accident.
Your test readings have nothing to do with this problem, I don't feel it is a normal occurance. But I am not the God of greasy rocks

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2009, 09:47 AM   #1283
ace2002
Registered Member

I am sorry to say that I have no Live Rock at this time.............its sort of xpensive....

ace2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2009, 03:05 PM   #1284
dckrasin
Registered Member

Hi everyone,

I was referred to the site from a few guys I ran into at Scotts the other day. I have have a reef tank for about ten years. A 37 and nano 12. I just sold the 12 and transferred the 37 to a 28 nano. I have one nice leather, mushrooms, zoos, etc., a chromi, two clowns, shrimp, and a buch of little cleaners.

I have always taken the safe route and never got into anything more than soft corals. The new tank has PC lighting so I am still unsure how far I can go into different types of corals. I am looking forward to learning from all of you and hopefully sharing (pay it forward-great idea). I will need a little coaching though.

dckrasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2009, 04:23 PM   #1285
cuda70bill
Registered Member

New Fish

Hello to all R/C people, I am Bill and new to the hobby of saltwater, I am starting a 90 for my first reef tank and just about to get the plumbing in for the tank, it will be a little time but I hope my tank comes out as nice as some of the ones I have seen on here. Thanks and may the reef be with you

cuda70bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2009, 06:05 PM   #1286
diver07
Registered Member

Hi All,
I'm Aaron and I live in Hamden, CT (just N of New Haven for those that like geography). I've been digging around all over the net the past couple weeks getting info on setting up a reef and found lots of good info here so I decided to post.

I kept a 30g saltwaterFO tank and a 10g fresh through high school and college but broke them down when I moved across the country for my first "real job". So 10yrs later now, I've pretty much decided I want to do a reef.

I'm looking into building a 24L"x16W"x16H" tank, ~30gal, and using a 15g tank for a sump. A bit on the small side perhaps, but I'm also house-hunting and smaller is easier to move.... I'm planning on running 4X24W T5s for lighting (is that enough?) Looking at starting w/ softies/mushrooms/zoos. Eventually a blenny (I had a bi-color in my old 30 and it was the most interesting fish I ever had) and a percula clown or 2. Maybe adding the heartiest LPS eventually...

I haven't bought anything yet and all I still have from before is the 15g and an old powerhead.

Oh, I'm an avid scuba diver though the season is running out here (though I plan on getting out a few times this winter) and professionally I'm a medicinal chemist - that means I invent drugs

Aaron

diver07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2009, 07:31 PM   #1287
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dckrasin View Post
Hi everyone,

I was referred to the site from a few guys I ran into at Scotts the other day. I have have a reef tank for about ten years. A 37 and nano 12. I just sold the 12 and transferred the 37 to a 28 nano. I have one nice leather, mushrooms, zoos, etc., a chromi, two clowns, shrimp, and a buch of little cleaners.

I have always taken the safe route and never got into anything more than soft corals. The new tank has PC lighting so I am still unsure how far I can go into different types of corals. I am looking forward to learning from all of you and hopefully sharing (pay it forward-great idea). I will need a little coaching though.
With pc lighting I would still stick with lps corals and softies

To Reef Central

Unread 11/20/2009, 07:34 PM   #1288
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuda70bill View Post
Hello to all R/C people, I am Bill and new to the hobby of saltwater, I am starting a 90 for my first reef tank and just about to get the plumbing in for the tank, it will be a little time but I hope my tank comes out as nice as some of the ones I have seen on here. Thanks and may the reef be with you

To Reef Central

As a suggestion start a build thread in this forum. That way your questions and information will be all together on one thread. Also when a thread gets a long as this one questions etc are lost easily

Unread 11/20/2009, 07:37 PM   #1289
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver07 View Post
Hi All,
I'm Aaron and I live in Hamden, CT (just N of New Haven for those that like geography). I've been digging around all over the net the past couple weeks getting info on setting up a reef and found lots of good info here so I decided to post.

I kept a 30g saltwaterFO tank and a 10g fresh through high school and college but broke them down when I moved across the country for my first "real job". So 10yrs later now, I've pretty much decided I want to do a reef.

I'm looking into building a 24L"x16W"x16H" tank, ~30gal, and using a 15g tank for a sump. A bit on the small side perhaps, but I'm also house-hunting and smaller is easier to move.... I'm planning on running 4X24W T5s for lighting (is that enough?) Looking at starting w/ softies/mushrooms/zoos. Eventually a blenny (I had a bi-color in my old 30 and it was the most interesting fish I ever had) and a percula clown or 2. Maybe adding the heartiest LPS eventually...

I haven't bought anything yet and all I still have from before is the 15g and an old powerhead.

Oh, I'm an avid scuba diver though the season is running out here (though I plan on getting out a few times this winter) and professionally I'm a medicinal chemist - that means I invent drugs

Aaron

To Reef Central
Just so you know Aaron, most of us don't dose and if we absolutely have to me always measure first

Unread 11/20/2009, 10:02 PM   #1290
ksmith68114
Registered Member

Smile Jumped Back in to the ADDICTION

Hey everyone!

I am Kevin (Smitty), I am a REEF Aholic... I started 6 years ago and was heavily addicted for 3 years, got laid off and had to sell all of my paraphernalia to pay for a move from Colorado Springs back home to Omaha, NE. So after a 2 year sober I have hit the addiction again for a year now come Jan 2010.

I was able to hold on to my 90 gallon and have slowly started back up to regulate the addiction.

The Reef Aholic,

Smitty

P.S. Thanks again Reef Central to fueling my addiction!

ksmith68114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2009, 10:53 PM   #1291
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith68114 View Post
Hey everyone!

I am Kevin (Smitty), I am a REEF Aholic... I started 6 years ago and was heavily addicted for 3 years, got laid off and had to sell all of my paraphernalia to pay for a move from Colorado Springs back home to Omaha, NE. So after a 2 year sober I have hit the addiction again for a year now come Jan 2010.

I was able to hold on to my 90 gallon and have slowly started back up to regulate the addiction.

The Reef Aholic,

Smitty

P.S. Thanks again Reef Central to fueling my addiction!
Trust me you are among many reef alcoholic friends here Smitty

To Reef Central

Unread 11/21/2009, 06:33 AM   #1292
Paul B
Premium Member

Quote:
got laid off and had to sell all of my paraphernalia to pay for a move from Colorado Springs
Smitty, I used to chase buffalo in the snow with a tank in Colorado Springs. Never hit any though

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2009, 01:49 PM   #1293
prawdzwr
Registered Member

Hey

Hey All
I am relatively new to the hobby as I have only had a tank for about a year now. calcualte that with my work schedual of 2 weeks away from home and 1 week at home and my wife is the experienced aquarist of the house. I love my tank and all the critters in it. I can sit for hours and watch the goings on. I have a 80 gl mixed reef tank. Right now I have a 5 yr old Sohol Tang and Lunar Wrasse, a Royal Tang, Black Ribbon Eel, Orange skunk Clown, 2 x Ocellaris Clown, clarkii Clown, Comet Marine Beta Grouper, Dragon Wrasse, Bicolor Blennie I caught from the Sea-lol long story, Peppermint Shrimp, 2 large brittle Stars, 2 unknown starfish(nieghborhood kids brought them over from the sea while I was at work) Hermit Crab, and a **** load of Turbo Snails from the persian Gulf. I also have 2 very large leather corals, a mushroom coral as well as on LPS brain coral.
I live in Saudi Arabia and am right on the persian Gulf. I do all my water changes right from the sea. I have a small sump with bio balls and miracle mud underneath my tank. I am trying to grow grass down there but not doing too well.(that doesn't sound right) I have a protein skimmer - dunno what kind. I just recently brought back a Coral Life Pro Lighting sytem from Canada which is great.
I have endured a couple set backs since starting. The worst of which was when our houseboy (everyone has them here in Saudi) knocked my Sea Apple from its rock causing it to emit a toxin into my tank. By the time I realized what was going on it was too late and I lost 6 fish. Niether the Sohol or Lunar thank goodness. The most recent was when I brought home a Cat Shark, Bursa Triggerfish, Clown Trigger, and Beta Grouper. The Cat Shark was dead the next morning and the Bursa Trigger only lasted 3 weeks. I think acclimation was too short for the Cat Shark and not too sure what happened to the Bursa. I had a Dog Puffer for a while but he ate one of my soft corals which I thought I could live with then he started shreading my Black ribbon Eel so thats when I took it to the beach for a swim.
Anyway this looks like an awesome site with lots of knowledge which I desperatley need. I tend to worry a lot when things don't look right. So anytime anyone has a tip or suggestion I welcome the input.

prawdzwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2009, 02:48 AM   #1294
johncash
Registered Member

10 Gallon need help!

Hi guys. I just got my little nano. I am planning to have 2 tanks in my home.

1. 10 Gallon rimless
2. 60-90 Gallon Cube (Plan to Puchase in January)

So far: Picked up the Rimless 10G and filled it with water and used some seachem prime on it, for tap water. The loaded up with some instant ocean. put a HOB filter on there for now.

I have no idea how to model the filtration system need help or possibly an example of a 10g tank that has been in operation for a few years.
I am going to grab some 20watt corallife bulbs tomorrow, but planning to get myself a 70watt or 150 watt metal halide (need help deciding) in a couple of months.

If possible please pm me with some links, users who might be able to help, examples of 10g setups etc... your help is greatly appreciated thanks.

johncash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2009, 02:54 AM   #1295
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by prawdzwr View Post
Hey All
I am relatively new to the hobby as I have only had a tank for about a year now. calcualte that with my work schedual of 2 weeks away from home and 1 week at home and my wife is the experienced aquarist of the house. I love my tank and all the critters in it. I can sit for hours and watch the goings on. I have a 80 gl mixed reef tank. Right now I have a 5 yr old Sohol Tang and Lunar Wrasse, a Royal Tang, Black Ribbon Eel, Orange skunk Clown, 2 x Ocellaris Clown, clarkii Clown, Comet Marine Beta Grouper, Dragon Wrasse, Bicolor Blennie I caught from the Sea-lol long story, Peppermint Shrimp, 2 large brittle Stars, 2 unknown starfish(nieghborhood kids brought them over from the sea while I was at work) Hermit Crab, and a **** load of Turbo Snails from the persian Gulf. I also have 2 very large leather corals, a mushroom coral as well as on LPS brain coral.
I live in Saudi Arabia and am right on the persian Gulf. I do all my water changes right from the sea. I have a small sump with bio balls and miracle mud underneath my tank. I am trying to grow grass down there but not doing too well.(that doesn't sound right) I have a protein skimmer - dunno what kind. I just recently brought back a Coral Life Pro Lighting sytem from Canada which is great.
I have endured a couple set backs since starting. The worst of which was when our houseboy (everyone has them here in Saudi) knocked my Sea Apple from its rock causing it to emit a toxin into my tank. By the time I realized what was going on it was too late and I lost 6 fish. Niether the Sohol or Lunar thank goodness. The most recent was when I brought home a Cat Shark, Bursa Triggerfish, Clown Trigger, and Beta Grouper. The Cat Shark was dead the next morning and the Bursa Trigger only lasted 3 weeks. I think acclimation was too short for the Cat Shark and not too sure what happened to the Bursa. I had a Dog Puffer for a while but he ate one of my soft corals which I thought I could live with then he started shreading my Black ribbon Eel so thats when I took it to the beach for a swim.
Anyway this looks like an awesome site with lots of knowledge which I desperatley need. I tend to worry a lot when things don't look right. So anytime anyone has a tip or suggestion I welcome the input.
hey welcome to the site, we love photos here, id love to see a shot of yur tank

MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Unread 11/22/2009, 02:57 AM   #1296
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncash View Post
Hi guys. I just got my little nano. I am planning to have 2 tanks in my home.

1. 10 Gallon rimless
2. 60-90 Gallon Cube (Plan to Puchase in January)

So far: Picked up the Rimless 10G and filled it with water and used some seachem prime on it, for tap water. The loaded up with some instant ocean. put a HOB filter on there for now.

I have no idea how to model the filtration system need help or possibly an example of a 10g tank that has been in operation for a few years.
I am going to grab some 20watt corallife bulbs tomorrow, but planning to get myself a 70watt or 150 watt metal halide (need help deciding) in a couple of months.

If possible please pm me with some links, users who might be able to help, examples of 10g setups etc... your help is greatly appreciated thanks.
hi-john i wouldnt consider a halide myself john over a 10 gallon tank, thats going to get heat issues and serious water evaporation, a t5 unit or even some leds may be a better bet john in my veiw,id also suggest 10-12 pounds of a quality live rock with a small nano powerhead and a nano skimmer for the basic filtration system

To Reef Central

MIKE

Unread 11/22/2009, 01:32 PM   #1297
Rog7
Registered Member

Hi Guys

I am very new to the hobby but have been fascinated by aquariums fro my whole life. So finally went to the local fish store to start a freshwater setup a few months ago and happened to walk past the marine section and fell in love instantly with the marine reef setup.

I have been working on my first reef setup for about a month now, I'm nearly there. Should have the tank filled within the next week

I'm going to start a thread for my setup so please come have a look, I would appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks!!

Rog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2009, 02:14 PM   #1298
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog7 View Post
Hi Guys

I am very new to the hobby but have been fascinated by aquariums fro my whole life. So finally went to the local fish store to start a freshwater setup a few months ago and happened to walk past the marine section and fell in love instantly with the marine reef setup.

I have been working on my first reef setup for about a month now, I'm nearly there. Should have the tank filled within the next week

I'm going to start a thread for my setup so please come have a look, I would appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks!!
hi- id love to be involved with your tank build, pop a link to it on here when you get one up

To Reef Central

MIKE

Unread 11/22/2009, 10:21 PM   #1299
What The?
Registered Member

New

Hello, I'm new to salt water and reef, but i am a 20 year vet on fresh water.
I am useing a 20 gal reef ( soon to be ) i have crushed coral bottom and 3 pieces of bleached coral and 2 Lb of LR and 2 pieces of granite.
Lighting i have 1 coral sun 420 18 watt, still need some white light.
Right now i will be happy if i can get the LR to flourish and spread.

What The? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2009, 11:40 PM   #1300
kUNTEKENTE
Registered Member

Hello

Hey, all my name is Kent and I am 5 years into a great hobby. Just set up a new 120 pentagon corner unit and I am ready to step it up, I think this is the place for me!

kUNTEKENTE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral