Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/20/2010, 10:21 AM   #2276
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporlockv2 View Post
Well I'm new here and new to the hobby. I have a 28gal jbj biocube with 5 fish and lots of softies and a few hard corals. I have upgraded the lighting to two 65w 50/50 bulbs with upgraded external ballast. I have also upgraded the return pump that puts out 230gal an hr. I also added a Seio 620 in the tank for added water flow.

My second tank is just a 10gal frag tank. I set it up about a week and a half ago. I have a 5gal sump/refugium underneath the tank and I am also using a nano HOB protein skimmer. There is nothing in the tank yet but will be adding a couple of fish to it here in about 3 weeks. So far there is 20lb of live sand 20lb of live rock. My lighting is two 28w pc 6500k bulbs supplemented with a 25 watt actinic bulb.

I have also set up a 5gal tank for my grandmother. It has been running for about 4 months now. It has two 10w coralife 50/50 bulbs. It is using a regular HOB filter along with a 3g tank set up underneath as a refugium. It has 11lb of live sand and has 8lb of live rock. There are various soft corals in it. Some rics, mushrooms, a few armor of god zoanthids, reverse gorilla nipples, orange spot polyps and some green star polyps. No fish is going to be in this tank as she is just a HUGE fan of coral. We are planning on upgrading the lighting with a clamp-on JBJ viper MH 70w light so she can start collecting some sps.

I am totally addicted to the hobby and I love how generous everyone is and that they take the time to answer a noobs questions.

To Reef Central
seems like you went all out and are full steam ahead. That is so cool that your grandmother is enjoying the hobby as well.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2010, 01:09 PM   #2277
spankysreef
Registered Member

Wassup!

Hey, just joined today!
I only have about 5yrs. of tru reef experience. About 8yrs. of SW experience. And tons of freshwater exp! After keeping and breeding difficult FW species i decided to move on to SW for the challenge..... Little did i know that it was a challenge indeed! Started with FOWLR.. Then i added a seperate aggressive FOWLR...Then a small softie reef....then another softie reef..then combined to one big softie reef...So on and so fourth. Now i have i nice mixed reef with some lps,shrooms,and a huge zoanthid collection. I also have a custom frag display with a DIY background to display the frags. I have really got into DIY lately. I recently made a Xenia propagation plate that is really coming together. I am finally propagating and selling frags, which is nice. Now its much easier to fund new purchases or even stuff for maintenance.
Anyways, just a tid-bit about me.
THANKS RC!!!!!!!

spankysreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2010, 06:24 PM   #2278
itisallspirit
Registered Member

Hello-

This is my first forum post although I have been perusing for some months. I am very new to the hobby. I have a 46 gallon bowfront tank with T5 lighting, a back pack protien skimmer, powerhead (some kind >.>)approximately 70 lbs of live rock and some sand. I used the forums to get me through the icky brown algae and the green algae. I have a small cleanup crew and this week I added a zoanthid frag and a xenia. Now I am looking at my rock and trying to decide if I really want that much rock. My goal is a nice reef with a few fishies for interest and movement. Anyways, I am having a difficult time searching for example pictures of how folks set up their rock.

All in all I am having a grand time with this whole new deal. It is just fascinating!

Thank you for being here

Laura

itisallspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2010, 09:23 PM   #2279
miserkris
Registered Member

Hi All,
I am new to Saltwater. Had freshwater when I was a teenager. Now I am 37.
I am starting a 55g FOWLR. I am interested in meeting local RC members and see their tanks. I am in Downingtown ,PA. Pls contact me if you are near me!!!
Thanks
Kris

miserkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2010, 09:25 PM   #2280
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankysreef View Post
Hey, just joined today!
I only have about 5yrs. of tru reef experience. About 8yrs. of SW experience. And tons of freshwater exp! After keeping and breeding difficult FW species i decided to move on to SW for the challenge..... Little did i know that it was a challenge indeed! Started with FOWLR.. Then i added a seperate aggressive FOWLR...Then a small softie reef....then another softie reef..then combined to one big softie reef...So on and so fourth. Now i have i nice mixed reef with some lps,shrooms,and a huge zoanthid collection. I also have a custom frag display with a DIY background to display the frags. I have really got into DIY lately. I recently made a Xenia propagation plate that is really coming together. I am finally propagating and selling frags, which is nice. Now its much easier to fund new purchases or even stuff for maintenance.
Anyways, just a tid-bit about me.
THANKS RC!!!!!!!
glad you joined--I am sure your experiece will prove to be an asset for this site

To Reef Central

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2010, 09:33 PM   #2281
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisallspirit View Post
Hello-

This is my first forum post although I have been perusing for some months. I am very new to the hobby. I have a 46 gallon bowfront tank with T5 lighting, a back pack protien skimmer, powerhead (some kind >.>)approximately 70 lbs of live rock and some sand. I used the forums to get me through the icky brown algae and the green algae. I have a small cleanup crew and this week I added a zoanthid frag and a xenia. Now I am looking at my rock and trying to decide if I really want that much rock. My goal is a nice reef with a few fishies for interest and movement. Anyways, I am having a difficult time searching for example pictures of how folks set up their rock.

All in all I am having a grand time with this whole new deal. It is just fascinating!

Thank you for being here

Laura
Here is a link to a thread on rock scaping:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...t=rock+scaping

To Reef Central

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 03/20/2010, 09:34 PM   #2282
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miserkris View Post
Hi All,
I am new to Saltwater. Had freshwater when I was a teenager. Now I am 37.
I am starting a 55g FOWLR. I am interested in meeting local RC members and see their tanks. I am in Downingtown ,PA. Pls contact me if you are near me!!!
Thanks
Kris
Try the reef club forum on RC for a local reef club

To Reef Central

Unread 03/20/2010, 11:16 PM   #2283
saltn07
Registered Member

Hello all I am new to RC but have been in saltwater since 2007. Looking forward to learning from all you great people!

saltn07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2010, 01:59 AM   #2284
Jewells
Registered Member

I would like to welcome all the newcomers to RC. I am new myself but am having a hard time learning much about the natural nano reef. I'm going to however try to get some pics in from mine and hope to help others out along the way. In the past I had tropical fish, 10, 29, and 55. So I am not really good on the chemistry of a saltwater aquarium just the realistic habits of the all around aquatics fishes, etc.
I will always ask questions and help in any way i can. I always have questions so you will see me around.

12g nano

Current Tank Info: Marineland 12g Eclipse system standard no mods
Jewells is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2010, 10:18 AM   #2285
kdog420000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_hylinur View Post
do you have any pics of the halide hood and the in tank fuge?

To Reef Central
I dont but i will try to take some.

kdog420000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2010, 03:10 PM   #2286
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltn07 View Post
Hello all I am new to RC but have been in saltwater since 2007. Looking forward to learning from all you great people!

To Reef Central
I found RC after many years in the hobby. If i found it earlier I would have saved so much and have less stressful moments.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 03/21/2010, 03:15 PM   #2287
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewells View Post
I would like to welcome all the newcomers to RC. I am new myself but am having a hard time learning much about the natural nano reef. I'm going to however try to get some pics in from mine and hope to help others out along the way. In the past I had tropical fish, 10, 29, and 55. So I am not really good on the chemistry of a saltwater aquarium just the realistic habits of the all around aquatics fishes, etc.
I will always ask questions and help in any way i can. I always have questions so you will see me around.

To Reef Central
have you found the Nano Forum? it talks a lot about the unique characteristics that nano tanks have. And the chemestry forum is chalked full of great info.... some of the information on there is hard to decipher though.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 03/21/2010, 04:45 PM   #2288
rjcar
Registered Member

hello all found you through Google. i have a 12 gal nano with some questions i just started in saltwater. been think of going alittle bigger but not sure of how big i think a 55 would be to big. maybe a 30 gal with a sump. i think that the sump would be a neat add on to see how it all gos to gather. anyway hello

rjcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2010, 04:50 PM   #2289
Sliceoftheocean
Registered Member

Wading into the reefing hobby.

Hello all at Reef Central. Well after about 9 months of reading, saving, and net surfing I started to buy somethings for my 54gal corner reef build. So far I have a pile of wood in my garage ( will become my stand ), a small octopus reef sump 24" -12"-16", Vertex IN-100 ( read the thread on reef central about it and did not think I could go wrong for the money), Tunze silence return pump, 24" Tek-light, 250 watt stealth heater, Apex lite with a pH probe, I/O breakout box, Lunar-Sim with two LED's, two reef fanatic float sensors, Tom aqua lift pump.
I was told by my boss lets call her my wife If we are going to get a tank do it right from the start. I figured to start at the bottom and work up. I hope to get the tank within the month. Thanks for all the good reading in the past months.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0261.JPG (45.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0269.JPG (46.5 KB, 3 views)
Sliceoftheocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2010, 08:30 PM   #2290
Goneski
Registered Member

Well I have found this site through some searching. Glad I did. I have just started up a small tank. 40 gal. I have just added in my first 10 lbs of rock. I am not sure what to expect but I know I will be surprised. Mike at the local store has been very helpful and everything he has told me checks out on the net. so I am pretty sure he is keeping me on the straight and narrow. Time is the big thing, patients. I am not a doctor, too bad as I have patients......... I am sure I will have questions along the way and I am sure they are already answered on this site some place.

Goneski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2010, 08:37 PM   #2291
rayn
Registered Member

Well here goes. As with most people in this thread, I'm new here. Had freshwater for years and finally decided to go salty. Currently running a 55gal FOWLR tank, well LR tank I guess for now. Hopefully going to grow into a full on reef setup and then to bigger and badder tanks. I have to LFS that seem to know their stuff and I happened to find a third about 30 miles away that really carries alot. Reading through some of the threads here have definately helped me out so far. Thanks to all!

rayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2010, 09:26 PM   #2292
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcar View Post
hello all found you through Google. i have a 12 gal nano with some questions i just started in saltwater. been think of going alittle bigger but not sure of how big i think a 55 would be to big. maybe a 30 gal with a sump. i think that the sump would be a neat add on to see how it all gos to gather. anyway hello
Bigger tanks are more forgiving of reefer errors then small ones, so IMO the bigger you go to the better.

To Reef Central

Unread 03/21/2010, 09:27 PM   #2293
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcar View Post
Hello
And

To Reef Central

Dishes are done man!

Unread 03/21/2010, 09:29 PM   #2294
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneski View Post
Well I have found this site through some searching. Glad I did. I have just started up a small tank. 40 gal. I have just added in my first 10 lbs of rock. I am not sure what to expect but I know I will be surprised. Mike at the local store has been very helpful and everything he has told me checks out on the net. so I am pretty sure he is keeping me on the straight and narrow. Time is the big thing, patients. I am not a doctor, too bad as I have patients......... I am sure I will have questions along the way and I am sure they are already answered on this site some place.

To Reef Central
be sure to read the stickies at the top of this forum.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 03/21/2010, 09:30 PM   #2295
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliceoftheocean View Post
Hello all at Reef Central. Well after about 9 months of reading, saving, and net surfing I started to buy somethings for my 54gal corner reef build. So far I have a pile of wood in my garage ( will become my stand ), a small octopus reef sump 24" -12"-16", Vertex IN-100 ( read the thread on reef central about it and did not think I could go wrong for the money), Tunze silence return pump, 24" Tek-light, 250 watt stealth heater, Apex lite with a pH probe, I/O breakout box, Lunar-Sim with two LED's, two reef fanatic float sensors, Tom aqua lift pump.
I was told by my boss lets call her my wife If we are going to get a tank do it right from the start. I figured to start at the bottom and work up. I hope to get the tank within the month. Thanks for all the good reading in the past months.

that's a good way to start. Look forward to seeing your progress. Do you have a tank size in mind yet or what kind of tank you want; reef or fowlr?

To Reef Central

Unread 03/21/2010, 09:32 PM   #2296
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneski View Post
suggest you continue to add live rock until you have 40 to 50 lbs in your tank

To Reef Central

Unread 03/21/2010, 09:33 PM   #2297
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Hey sister I think we are tag teaming here

Unread 03/21/2010, 09:34 PM   #2298
Sisterlimonpot

now that's some timing!!

Dishes are done man!

Unread 03/21/2010, 09:40 PM   #2299
SaltydawgI
Registered Member

Hello all. Just getting started in the hobby. Buying a piece at a time a paycheck at a time. I have a 55g that used to be a freshwater tank to start. I just purchased new lighting 2x65w 10ks and 2x65w actinics w/4 moon LEDs. I believe I am at the LR purchasing stage...now just trying to decide what to get. I have read tons about dif types. Have really enjoyed surfing the RC.

SaltydawgI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2010, 10:02 PM   #2300
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltydawgI View Post
Hello all. Just getting started in the hobby. Buying a piece at a time a paycheck at a time. I have a 55g that used to be a freshwater tank to start. I just purchased new lighting 2x65w 10ks and 2x65w actinics w/4 moon LEDs. I believe I am at the LR purchasing stage...now just trying to decide what to get. I have read tons about dif types. Have really enjoyed surfing the RC.
Its not necessarily the type of rock---figi, tonga, marshall etc etc--more the quality of it. Make sure you can pick out the live rock yourself and that it feels light when you pick it up and has lots of holes and pores in it. It is these holes that support the strain of bacteria that break down the nitrates to nitrogen gas thus completing the nitrogen cycle. Without the support of these bacteria then your system is only capable of converting ammonia waste to nitrates. Although fish can take a higher level of nitrates, small inverts and corals can't

To Reef Central

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral