Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/30/2003, 01:53 PM   #1
Drew_P
Registered Member

newbie to ceph's

Hey everyone, im clearing out a 75 at the moment (fresh) and was curious as to if i could use a thin layer of black gravel for a octo? its smooth rocks i was planning on putting rays in there so it wont scratch it or anything.

I think thats it.... oh and one more question, i was reading the 'cuttlefish in the us' thread, curious as to if this only applys to certain species? since i see lots of people in the us with cuttlefish on tonmo.com (i think).

Thanks,
Drew

Drew_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2003, 04:16 PM   #2
lawfish
Registered Member

Drew:

Is the grave naturally black. If it is colored in some manner I would avoid it. Cephs are very sensitive to heavy metals which are often used in dyes and paints. Also if it is large and rough you may want to go with a finer size for an Octo.

As to Cuttlefish, most of the users at Tonmo that have them are outside of the U.S. (Don't mean to take your name in vain Octomonkey) or are involved in research here in the U.S.. The most desirable species S. officinalis is nearly impossible to get in this country unless you import them.

good luck

lawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2003, 08:21 PM   #3
Drew_P
Registered Member

Its silica based, if that helps any?

Whats involved in importing them? a friend of mine (fishpost.com - ron neilson) has been exporting piranhas to the uk and other places for some time, im sure if i covered all cost's he would get me whatever i want, but i was reading in another thread theres only one person to get them from (richard?) and its 500 for a group of? (how many?) then 200 in fees? how much could i sell these for? (to cover costs)

Thanks,
Drew

Drew_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2003, 11:22 AM   #4
OctoMonkey
Registered Member

No prob Lawfish

Drew have a read at this thread from TONMO that Chris also responds to.... http://www.tonmo.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=309