Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Aquaforest
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/08/2016, 02:13 PM   #1
MichaelW
Registered Member

Dosing timing.

I know that component 1+ and 2 + should be dosed at least say 5 minutes apart to avoid precipitation issues. However, what about component 3+ (mineral salts) is there any problem if they happen to be dosed at the same time as either the all or calcium/magnesium components?
Also is there any known benefit to say dosing more of your all dose at night and calcium in the day?

MichaelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2016, 05:59 PM   #2
plyle02
Registered Member

Mike,
If it were me, I would set my dosing tubes in different parts of the sump, particularly if you think they may interact on a similar schedule. With respect to dosing at specific times, I think logically of the reef, and how our controlled environments work. I prefer a constant every hour dosing of all 3. I know I will gain a higher level during non-photo periods, but the change I believe is irrelevant. I do understand the idea though, and have known other hobbyist's to use the 24 hour cycle to take advantage of ph shifts. With all that being said, I have never really given this that much thought, so far I am dialed in, and I see that number continue to grow. I suppose I could have other issues to worry over, but alk, ca, and mag decline, well that is letting me know I have great things happening. I have noticed that the usage of all the big 3 are very close to range, this to me is awesome, cause I have always had to dose one more than the other, knowing that I was not totally locked in, from an ionic standpoint

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2016, 10:26 PM   #3
MichaelW
Registered Member

I understand dosing in different areas of sump is an option. However, I have nice, neat, John guest fittings drilled directly into the top of my sump for a nice clean installation and obviously would like to use them.
So basically I just got the apex dos as an upgrade 2 my jabao dosing pump. Unfortunately it's only 2 head so I was going to use it for comp1+ and comp 2+. I have been doing a bit of reading and it doesn't seem you actually tell it at what time you want it to dose how much but more total how much in a given time and it just breaks the dose time up for you (you don't really choose) I think I saw from Dan a way where if you are dosing these equal you of set the time period by say 5 minutes and that way dosed wont overlap. Ok fine. But, the comp 3+ will remain being dosed by the jabao for now. As I don't know yet what timings the dos will make my dosed of either1 or 2, I don't know if some of my dosed of 3 will overlap. I was wondering if there is a problem of 3 causing all or .ca to precipitate if the just happen to be same time or not. It may not even be an issue where between these much the same as mag is able to be dosed with ca just fine.

Unread 06/09/2016, 12:53 PM   #4
Potatohead
Registered Member

If you dose them into different high flow areas, it very likely does not matter

Potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2016, 01:16 PM   #5
MichaelW
Registered Member

My sump has pre drilled John guest fittings for dosing lines. Of there is no interaction between the mineral salt and either alk or ca then I would like to use them. If there is a known precipitation of elements when using mineral salt at same time as other elements then I would have to do something else.
My post was aimed at if there is an interaction between them not how to avoid an interaction.

Unread 06/09/2016, 01:18 PM   #6
Potatohead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
My sump has pre drilled John guest fittings for dosing lines. Of there is no interaction between the mineral salt and either alk or ca then I would like to use them. If there is a known precipitation of elements when using mineral salt at same time as other elements then I would have to do something else.
My post was aimed at if there is an interaction between them not how to avoid an interaction.
You could always put a bit in a liter of water and mix it around and see, that may be easiest. If component 3 is really just mainly mineral salts I highly doubt it will be a problem.

Potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote