Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/18/2014, 01:06 PM   #1
larcat
Registered Member

SPS self shadowing, how to minimize it while using LEDs.

Hey all.

I've got a 34"x17"x17" tank. Currently running a single G2 Radion Pro with wide angles. About to upgrade my lighting some.

What I'm trying to minimize is the amount of self-shadowing my SPS does.

I want to get some of that "from the top" jaw drop from the primary viewing sides.

So far, the best idea I have is to get a second radion, rotate them both 90 degrees and run them with wide angles.

Without going t5 supplemental, anyone want to opine?

-L

larcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2014, 01:26 PM   #2
sceia
Registered Member

I just had this happen to most of my sps colonies... The shading was actually causing them to go white from no light. I supplemented with T5's... Wish there was a better way...

sceia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2014, 01:32 PM   #3
larcat
Registered Member

Did you consider any LED solutions? What did you decide against and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sceia View Post
I just had this happen to most of my sps colonies... The shading was actually causing them to go white from no light. I supplemented with T5's... Wish there was a better way...

Unread 07/18/2014, 01:35 PM   #4
TommyP
Registered Member

I've noticed my SPS shadowing themselves as well within the past week since I just hooked up my kessils.

TommyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2014, 01:35 PM   #5
FlyPenFly
SPS Killer

Angled T5 fill in.

FlyPenFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2014, 01:35 PM   #6
sceia
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larcat View Post
Did you consider any LED solutions? What did you decide against and why?
Well, it was a cost decision... 2 more gen3 radion pros or 180 bucks in a retrofit T5 solution. Was really a no brainer. I still get the led shimmur and the t5 colors... best of both worlds.

sceia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2014, 01:38 PM   #7
ridetheducati
20 and Over Club

Upgrade to MH.

Current Tank Info: 300g DD, SPS dominated, Apex, Tunze 6125s, ATB 1050, 400w MH, and Geo 618 Ca Reactor
ridetheducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2014, 01:41 PM   #8
larcat
Registered Member

Very much a rimless tank, everything exposed, form factor matters here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridetheducati View Post
Upgrade to MH.

Unread 07/18/2014, 02:17 PM   #9
1000_smiles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyPenFly View Post
Angled T5 fill in.

Nice. What kind of lights are those?

1000_smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2014, 03:51 PM   #10
larcat
Registered Member

Very nice tank!

What is the primary lighting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyPenFly View Post
Angled T5 fill in.

Unread 07/18/2014, 03:51 PM   #11
larcat
Registered Member

Are your fixtures exposed, or do you have a canopy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sceia View Post
Well, it was a cost decision... 2 more gen3 radion pros or 180 bucks in a retrofit T5 solution. Was really a no brainer. I still get the led shimmur and the t5 colors... best of both worlds.

Unread 07/28/2014, 03:50 PM   #12
FlyPenFly
SPS Killer

Its Hagen Glo Single bulb with ATI actinics. Primary lighting was ATI 8 bulb sun power, now it's GHL Mitras 6100.

Unread 07/28/2014, 05:38 PM   #13
gardy
Registered Member

I like the look of those fixtures, they fit well with the rimless look, I have also seen kessils mounted at an angle to help in reducing shadowing

gardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2014, 06:32 PM   #14
SkullV
They Got My Number

Only way you're going to achieve this is by ditching LEDs or supplementing with another lightning source. It's the nature of LED lighting, nothing you can do about it. For the poster above, Kessil is the worst led fixture on the market as ss far as shading due to be dense matrix design under a single optic.

A good low cost option for you would be to DIY a hybrid with a used TEK T5 or ATI fixture. This could be done for around $150 on top of whatever 6 bulb fixture you choose. You would only be running 4 bulbs of T5 so it would cut down on yearly bulb changes. If this is something you are interested in, I would be happy to spec it and build it for you, it would all fit beneath the original fixture splash shield and look like a factory build fixture.

Another option would be a Geissman T5/MH hybrid fixture, they are very nice looking and can grow anything you want. Not as cost effective though.

SkullV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2014, 07:04 PM   #15
gardy
Registered Member

But mounted at an angle around the tank it can help, leaving the primary light as is, say if you put 4 near each corner pointed inward, granted on a larger tank it would take a lot.

Unread 07/28/2014, 07:08 PM   #16
SkullV
They Got My Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardy View Post
But mounted at an angle around the tank it can help, leaving the primary light as is, say if you put 4 near each corner pointed inward, granted on a larger tank it would take a lot.
It'll do the job (maybe since the sps will need pretty strong light on the bottom) but ruins the look of the rimless tank above. The inside of the tank looks great though!

Unread 07/28/2014, 07:14 PM   #17
gardy
Registered Member

I wouldn't go that route without a hood, but the T5 fixtures above have sparked my interest for my 93 cube, define toy not full rimless look but still looks clean

Unread 07/28/2014, 07:18 PM   #18
SkullV
They Got My Number

I did a T5 retrofit in my canopy and will be adding blue LED supplementation in the next week or so. Without a doubt in my mind T5/LED hybrid and MH/LED hybrid are the way to go for sps. Either one just utilizes the led for color/shimmer supplementation with the T5/MH bring the primary light source.

If you just want LPS/Softies/Nems, no need for anything but LED.

Unread 07/29/2014, 02:43 AM   #19
tofucube
Registered Member

If you have to stay with LED for the supplemental light then I would go with the Kessil 360 and get the gooseneck so that you can turn it any angle you want to hit all the shadow areas that you are seeing.

tofucube is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2014, 08:52 AM   #20
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridetheducati View Post
Upgrade to MH.
IME metal halide is even worse in this regard because its a 'point' source light rather than a 'line' source like most LED.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2014, 01:40 PM   #21
acesq
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
IME metal halide is even worse in this regard because its a 'point' source light rather than a 'line' source like most LED.
Consider that MH throw light 360 degrees and they typically are housed in large (20+" square) reflectors that bounce the light into the tank from many angles. This makes for a very large point.

Radions, Kessils and dream chips are all very small point sources. Expect lots of self shading unless you use many units and angle a few as suggested with the Kessil gooseneck. Orpheks and others are wider sources, but each LED does throw a much narrower beam than a MH so even they can't avoid some shading. I'd like to see a LED fixture sold here that covers the entire tank and is made with hundreds of closely spaced low wattage bulbs with wide angle lenses.

Unread 07/29/2014, 03:14 PM   #22
nikon187
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
and the reflector for the mh makes this moot. the reflector bounces the light in from every angle. LED, even in a line, are a point source light

the only way of eliminating shadows is with more led units

Current Tanks:

New 210 custom 84 x 24 x 24, 60g sump, SWC 250 extreme with bubble blaster 5000, 2 vortech mp40, 2 vortech mp10, 12 T5, Water blaster 5000, warner marine bio pellets,

60g clownfish cube, red carpet anemone with a 25g sump,SRO octopus 1000sss, 250w radium, lumenarc large.
nikon187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2014, 03:50 PM   #23
Breadman03
New Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesq View Post
Consider that MH throw light 360 degrees and they typically are housed in large (20+" square) reflectors that bounce the light into the tank from many angles. This makes for a very large point.

Radions, Kessils and dream chips are all very small point sources. Expect lots of self shading unless you use many units and angle a few as suggested with the Kessil gooseneck. Orpheks and others are wider sources, but each LED does throw a much narrower beam than a MH so even they can't avoid some shading. I'd like to see a LED fixture sold here that covers the entire tank and is made with hundreds of closely spaced low wattage bulbs with wide angle lenses.

An LFS near me makes them, but they're definitely of the beginner-DIY quality level. It's a good concept that I think would be successful if executed properly.

Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2014, 12:46 PM   #24
FlyPenFly
SPS Killer

To be honest, T5, LEDs, and MH all have the same problem but to lesser degrees.

The only real way to solve it is with supplemental lighting. You can use whatever lighting it is as long as it's side firing. I removed the T5 GLO since the photos.

I recommend going with sleeker Build My Led fixtures on wide angles.

Unread 07/31/2014, 12:49 PM   #25
bwrag
Registered Member

+2 on bml i had on 75 no shadowing.

bwrag is offline   Reply With Quote