Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/29/2014, 06:27 AM   #1
jepuskar
Registered Member

Basic sump design question

Hello, I am planning on having my drain, skimmer, etc all in one chamber with just one set of baffles before the return pump. Is there any drawback to doing this?

I ask because I see many designs with 2 sets of baffles in between the skimmer department. The only thing I can think of is it keeps the water level constant.

Thanks,

Jason

jepuskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2014, 10:42 AM   #2
GroktheCube
Registered Member

The extra set of baffles is just for people who want to run a refugium section in the sump. In the 40B under my 120, I only have two chambers with one bubble trap (a set of three baffles, over, under, over) between them.

GroktheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2014, 10:43 AM   #3
SGT_York
Registered Member

one is all you need. two baffles just give you a stair step approach or let you add a refugium separate from the skimmer.

SGT_York is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2014, 10:53 AM   #4
GroktheCube
Registered Member

Here's my 40B sump with only a single set of baffle.

I apologize for the mess, I just finished putting things back together following a teardown to deal with ich a couple days ago, and I haven't made it all look pretty and organized yet.

GroktheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2014, 12:08 AM   #5
IPT
Registered Member

Is there a general rule of thumb for the spacing of baffles and/or height it needs to be for water to flow under? I know the volume of water going through the sump will have an impact too (I'll be running an Eheim 1262 in a 40B). I've never used baffles before just a wall to separate the return from the rest of the sump.

IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2014, 07:04 AM   #6
jepuskar
Registered Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback and pics. I went to Lowes last night and had some glass cut. The glass thickness is 3/32. My sump is 15g, 12" H x 12" W. I'm not to comfortable with this thickness....any thoughts? Too thin?

J

jepuskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2014, 07:57 AM   #7
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I think you can go complex or simple with a sump. Here is the most recent one I made. Just a single piece of 1/4 inch glass.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote