Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/17/2012, 07:37 AM   #1
pwreef
Registered Member

Refractometer gone wild

Lately I've had an issue with the Refractometer where I shows very high value on an initial test after I take it out of the box. Then once I do a few tests in sequence it shows the proper calibrated value. It's almost as if some residual salt stays on the glass or in the pipet. I wipe the glass with paper towel and rinse the dropper with fresh water. Still same result. Yesterday I tried this: take it out of the box and test with the 35 ppm test solution, I get 40. Then I test RODI water it's 2. Repeat the 35 Ppm solution it's 37. I did drop it a while back and the glass has a small maybe 1 mm chip in one corner. Does that affect the test? Many thanks for your advice.

Unread 09/17/2012, 07:38 AM   #2
Michigan Mike
Freedom costs a buckofive

I don't know but I would get a new one. Up to you

Michigan Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2012, 08:58 PM   #3
Mavrk
Registered Member

If it has automatic temperature correction, then you should wait 30 seconds for it to correct itself before taking a reading. If that doesn't fix it, then either know this to be a problem or replace it. Let us know the results.

Mavrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2012, 06:11 PM   #4
Psyops
Still Learning

+1 on the 30 second waiting period. Especially when you just take it out. Take a sample a just look at the reading over a period of time. (say 1 minute or so) and see what happens. Hope this helps.

Alex

One tank short of a trial separation.

Current Tank Info: 180 Gallon reef. Just starting to convert to mainly SPS.
Psyops is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2012, 06:19 PM   #5
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

i always swirl the prism part of the refractometer in my tank for 30sec to get prism and tank temp acclimated and then take the reading.

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2012, 08:52 PM   #6
bertoni
RC Mod

Generally, the temperature of the water sample should conform to the temperature of the device fairly quickly. I don't think swirling the device in the water will have a good effect. The temperature compensation is designed to compensate for air temperature, not the temperature of part of the refractometer.

Unread 09/19/2012, 06:23 AM   #7
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
Generally, the temperature of the water sample should conform to the temperature of the device fairly quickly. I don't think swirling the device in the water will have a good effect. The temperature compensation is designed to compensate for air temperature, not the temperature of part of the refractometer.
i am not sure on the science here but my lab/setup is in garage and oklahoma heat makes it 130F plus in the garage. if i was to take a sample of 78F from my tank and read it it would be off the chart. AFter swirling it in tank water for few i take the reading its dead on. I have a handheld and a digital refractometer and they all do the same thing. Unless cooled off to under 85F they wont show proper readings.

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2012, 07:44 AM   #8
pwreef
Registered Member

I don't think temperature is the issue here. I did these tests using the tiny bottle of test solution that was sitting right next to the Refractometer. I waited 1-2 minutes. The reading does not change from the time I put the drops on. The reading changes only when several tests are done in sequence. Then it stabilizes. I guess if no one had a similar issue time to get a new one.

Unread 09/19/2012, 07:19 PM   #9
bertoni
RC Mod

Okay, if the refractometer was at 130 F, I wouldn't expect it to be accurate. Dipping it in the water might help in that case. I personally would keep the refractometer at a normal house temperature.

As far as the original post, I don't know what's happening, but I'd ditch the refractometer.