Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/19/2010, 12:07 AM   #1
mikeintosh
Mikeintosh

Drilling larger bulkhead

Are there any suggestions as to the proper way to drill a larger bulkhead hole over an existing one? My new pump requires 2" piping for input and the current hole is for a 1 1/2" bulkhead. The sump is acrylic.

I figured I would just trace the hole size I'd need (~3") and use a dremel to cut around. But it would probably end up looking rough and uneven. I was wondering if anyone has tried using a hole saw without material for that center bit to hold the saw in place? Would it work? Or would the drill just fly around? Don't want to lose a finger or put an eye out...

Suggestions please...

Thanks

mikeintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2010, 12:29 AM   #2
THEUNION1
Registered Member

Hole saw a hole in a piece of wood first then clamp piece of wood to panel over existing hole to be drilled. It will guide you without walking the hole saw.

THEUNION1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2010, 03:03 PM   #3
mikeintosh
Mikeintosh

That's very clever. Thanks for the tip!

Unread 06/21/2010, 08:54 AM   #4
RokleM
Registered Member

THEUNION1 is right on. One thing to note however, you have to be a little more careful in ensuring the area stays clear of debris since the material can't easily "fling" out like normal. Perhaps get a helper with a shop vac to suction out material every 5-10 seconds as you drill through.

Unread 06/21/2010, 10:33 AM   #5
NoHooks
Registered Member

Another option is to install a second 1.5" bulkhead and connect both bulkheads to a 2" tee using 1.5" to - 2" adaptors on the ends of the tee.

Current Tank Info: The Blue Lagoon - 240 gallon mixed reef
NoHooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2010, 01:23 PM   #6
ReeferChris
Registered Member

A way i heard of cutting out a bigger hole is two use two hole saws at the same time basically fit the smaller on (the same size as the hole you have) inside of the bigger hole saw (the size you need) and tighten them both up to the drill bit attachment thing. I forgot where i heard this, and i don't know if anybody has ever done it like this. but basically since the smaller hole saw is inside the bigger one then it is raised enough so that it fits inside the pre-existing hole. Has anybody ever done it like this?

ReeferChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2010, 01:34 PM   #7
mikeintosh
Mikeintosh

That sounds like a variation on the wood solution. Both very clever. Another solution I just thought of was super glueing a piece of scrap acrylic over the hole first, then drilling whatever size is needed.

When I get all my plumbing in to get started, I'll let you all know which route I went.

Thanks again.

Tags
bulkhead, drilling, larger