Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/23/2015, 05:52 PM   #1
Sk8r
RC Mod

PolyFilter. A good item for your emergency kit.

It's pricey. Comes in sheets.
If you suspect there's a metal or other contaminant in your tank, this is a good step. Snip off a bit and put it in the water flow. If it turns colors, eg, blue = copper, ---it has just pulled and bound the copper to itself.

So you can use it both as a diagnostic for a problem AND it is capable of removing the problem. Test and remedy in one. It's not to run all the time---just for a problem.

Particularly a good idea to have if you have toddlers or party guests.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2015, 07:07 PM   #2
fishchef
Registered Member

Why would you not use it 24/7?

fishchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2015, 07:14 PM   #3
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishchef View Post
Why would you not use it 24/7?
It is expensive.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2015, 07:15 PM   #4
jayball
Registered Member

Expensive and not required. Used on the regular it would probably strip some good trace minerals/metals from your water.

jayball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2015, 07:17 PM   #5
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I use polyfilters 24/7

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2015, 07:32 PM   #6
fishchef
Registered Member

I use it 24/7 and have been for like 10 years. It does not impact trace elements per PolyBio Marine. Half a 12x12 sheet costs about $15 and is enough for 100 gal volume. After 4 weeks you rinse it well in RO/DI and then soak in hydrogen peroxide for about an hour. Then rinse well again. Cleaning prolongs life and effectiveness. Your ready for another 4 weeks, then replace. We run it in tandem with Purigen. PolyBio Marine suggests running it 24/7 as a preventative. We have a mixed reef and you never know what chemical warfare is going on. Really pulls out the organics.

Last edited by fishchef; 02/23/2015 at 07:39 PM.
Unread 02/23/2015, 08:01 PM   #7
Tattoocean
Registered Member

You can also get polyfill at Michaels or Joann Fabrics for a fraction of the cost. Also use the weekly 50% off coupon and save even more money....

Tattoocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2015, 08:06 PM   #8
jason2459
Registered Member

Polyfill is not polyfilter or anything like it. Polyfill is purely used just for mechanical filtering. Polyfilter is a means of absorbing chemically organics or metals like coper. I always keep a sheet on hand for emergency usage.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2015, 08:42 PM   #9
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Although it's a touchy subject, because I use polyfilters and GAC 24/7, I also dose trace elements (judiciously). Although I cannot be 100% sure, I believe a recent episode of STN in my tanks may have been a result of suspending this dosing regimen. Food for thought!

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2015, 08:51 PM   #10
Azedenkae
Registered Member

I use poly-filter 24/7 as well. It is not that expensive, and lasts for very long. Also because most people use it wrong - it is not supposed to be the first line of defense, it is supposed to be the last.

Putting it first will force it to take the brunt of waste products, and so will have it be worn out much faster than having it after biological filtration and stuff, that will break down much of the waste before it reaches the poly-filter.

Azedenkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2015, 08:54 PM   #11
Tattoocean
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
Polyfill is not polyfilter or anything like it. Polyfill is purely used just for mechanical filtering. Polyfilter is a means of absorbing chemically organics or metals like coper. I always keep a sheet on hand for emergency usage.
Same stuff its just molded into a pad as a selling point to get more money out of the customer. The poly in polyfilter is polyester. The thickness might make a difference in absorbing capabilities but polyester is polyester unless its blended with other materials ....

Tattoocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2015, 08:54 PM   #12
FraggledRock
Registered Member

how dare you all question sk8r! lol jk i never used it but i just might buy some.

Current Tank Info: 40 Gallon Breeder w/ Bean Animal Overflow 20G Sump, Mixed Reef.
FraggledRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2015, 09:04 PM   #13
fishchef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoocean View Post
Same stuff its just molded into a pad as a selling point to get more money out of the customer. The poly in polyfilter is polyester. The thickness might make a difference in absorbing capabilities but polyester is polyester unless its blended with other materials ....
Tattoo needs to do some research.

Unread 02/23/2015, 10:34 PM   #14
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoocean View Post
No, they are different.

http://www.poly-bio-marine.com/

I don't buy into all the marketing hype from the manufacturer but they do work to some extent on DOC and some metals.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2015, 09:55 AM   #15
Spyderturbo007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishchef View Post
Then rinse well again. Cleaning prolongs life and effectiveness.
I thought PolyFilters were impregnated with something propitiatory allowing them to bind with specific metals and weren't to be cleaned and reused?

Spyderturbo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2015, 10:38 AM   #16
fishchef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post
I thought PolyFilters were impregnated with something propitiatory allowing them to bind with specific metals and weren't to be cleaned and reused?
This was information via Poly Bio Marine. Upon use Polyfilter gets clogged and experiences bypass. The peroxide was suggested during this process. Your not regenerating it. I've never seen it turn black per the package, but I've been doing this for years. The use of RO/DI or dechlorinated water is important because there's an adverse effect. It never comes back white,but there's a noticeable difference in color. One Tech even suggested that it could be done twice for a third use. I do not do this.

Unread 02/24/2015, 01:59 PM   #17
Spyderturbo007
Registered Member

Awesome. Thanks fishchef. I had no idea that they could be cleaned without damage.

Spyderturbo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2015, 03:02 PM   #18
Sk8r
RC Mod

Back in the 90's we did run it 24/7, because ro/di was rare, and though I had the same purification system in my house as the local zoo (a man-high carbon filtration cylinder)---it wasn't ro/di. We were lucky if the city water didn't deliver us a 'surprise'. So yes, certain conditions can make it a good idea.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote