Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/09/2016, 01:59 PM   #1
frivera28
Registered Member

Add Bracing to Rimless tank

I have a 93 gallon cube that has bubbles in the seams.

Can bracing be added around the top of the aquarium to make it safe?

All 4 vertical seams have bubbles starting at the top and then going down aout 6 inches.

Wondering if there is a way to save this tank.

Thanks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0910.jpg (62.3 KB, 47 views)
frivera28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2016, 02:12 PM   #2
GimpyFin
Registered Member

Let me guess, it's the Marineland 93 cube? The bubbles in the seams near the top is almost guaranteed with this tank. I had one a while back with the same issue and I've seen others as well. Never caused a problem, but it does make you nervous. I think if they used slightly thicker glass on the sides there wouldn't be an issue.

Current Tank Info: 110 gallon
GimpyFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2016, 02:23 PM   #3
frivera28
Registered Member

yeah, it is a Marineland 93 gallon cube
How long have you have your tank setup?

This one has been up for a year. I am worried it will fail or leak

Unread 11/09/2016, 03:41 PM   #4
GimpyFin
Registered Member

I had the 93 cube for a little over 2 years (Ended up moving everything to a new tank and selling it early this year.) I kept close eyes on the seams and they didn't really appear to get any worse. Just some extra micro bubbles that would show up during water changes when the tank was partially drained. It definitely freaks people out, but I'm not sure if people have actually had the seams fail or not.

Current Tank Info: 110 gallon
GimpyFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2016, 08:22 PM   #5
frivera28
Registered Member

Would this method work?
https://youtu.be/Oo3KU_MHFhU

Unread 11/09/2016, 08:44 PM   #6
frivera28
Registered Member

I guess it would look like this

What do you guys think?

Unread 11/09/2016, 09:12 PM   #7
thegrun
Registered Member

2-1/2" x 3/8" eurobracing will work, I
prefer interior rather than on top bracing. It would be a good idea to pull in the sides a little with furniture clamps if you are adding the braces with water in the tank. Wait st least two weeks before removing the clamps so the silicone will fully cure. Use a good quality structural silicone like Momentive RTV

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2016, 09:24 PM   #8
frivera28
Registered Member

What's stronger ?
Interior or top bracing?

Also my tank is empty

Unread 11/10/2016, 07:43 AM   #9
Reef Dude
Registered Member

Following along. I can't help specifically answer your question, but I wanted to let you know that I am facing the same issue on my Marineland 60 gallon cube. Only been set up for a week, but I already ordered a tank from another mfg because of the issues with the air bubble in the seams and the bowing of the tank. In my extensive research on RC, observation of other tanks in person, and discussions with Marineland and my LFS, these micro bubble are normal. Also, the bowing I am experiencing is normal (approx 1/16 to 1/8). However, it makes me sick to look at... I can't sleep wondering if the tank is leaking in the other room. Even though everyone assures me this is normal and I haven't heard a single story of one of these tanks failing, I'm taking the loss. If you look on RC, all the experts strongly recommend 12 or 15mm glass for a 24" high rimless tank, and my Marineland tank only uses 8mm glass. I think this undersized glass is causing the issues I see. Even though these issues are "normal", I feel like it would only be a matter of time (maybe a matter of years) until the tank fails.

Although I am setting up a new tank in it's place, I was looking to do exactly what you are suggesting in the photo in an attempt to see if I could make it work as a second tank in the future. Let me know what you end up doing and how it works out. I already drilled, painted, installed an overflow box, etc. in my cube so I'd like to salvage it if possible.

Reef Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2016, 08:44 AM   #10
frivera28
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply
One question I have is how the brace will work over the corner overflow

Unread 11/10/2016, 09:38 AM   #11
Reef Dude
Registered Member

Good point about the overflow. I custom drilled mine through the the back of my tank, so it would be manageable for me, but your corner flo migh present some issues. I guess there would be two options I can think of.

1 - take out the corner flo and cut it a little shorter (at the bottom) and silicone it back in. This would help a little with the acces into the box if needed, and having a slightly lower water level would reduce some of the stress on the tank although you would lose the cool factor of having the water right near the top. Also, this still probably wouldn't give you enough room to entirely remove the durso pipes. You obviously need to cut the standpipes shorter for this method.

2 - set up the drain pipes exactly like you want them, intall euro bracing, and hope like heck that you never need access into the overflow box. I had a Marineland 180 with corner flo's for the last 7 years before I downsized and only needed into the overflow box when a fish jumped in there (took a couple times before I became smart enough to cover them).

I know neither of these are ideal. And you may be totally fine without needing to euro brace in the first place. Everyone perceives risk differently, but I couldn't handle these micro bubble or visible bowing... Just because this seems to happen in all their rimless cubes doesn't mean it's "right".

Unread 11/10/2016, 09:59 AM   #12
frivera28
Registered Member

I'm definitely adding the eurobrace
As I'm too worried about the tank

i like your idea about the overflow
I wonder if I can lower the water level without removing the overflow

Unread 11/10/2016, 02:37 PM   #13
Reef Dude
Registered Member

I would need to take a closer look, but could you cut a slot, drill holes, or something similar into the existing overflow box at the water level you want. Not sure how that would look. Leave the existing box in place but cut a slot patialllly across it? That would be your new water level, then cut the standpipes to length accordingly. It sucks when we have to get all creative and modify designs because of the manufacturer skimped on the design. But then again, if you googled 93 gallon Marineland cube leaking or failure, absolutely nothing concerning comes up so go figure. i think the euro bracing looks cool... It doesn't really take that much away from the rimless look, so I'm interested to see how everything looks.