Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/10/2016, 10:02 AM   #1
necessary_evil
Registered Member

Nuisance algae and treatment recommendations please.

This started about the 2 month mark and is aggressive. It grows on everything including on and directly in front of the Vortech MP 10 running at 60-70% and worse yet it grows on top of the Macros!

Dud water tests and ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, and phosphate are all undetectable.

I feed sparingly 3 x a week. Skim moderate to wet, and have a CUC consisting of 10ish various snails, including turbo and olive snails, and 15-20 ish hermits.

I do a 20% water change every 2 weeks right now with reef crystals and RO water.

The only major error was up until 3 weeks ago I had been running the tank around 1.019 or so specific gravity due to a miscalibrated refractometer.

I am planning on starting to run bio pellets soon (dumping into the intake area of the Tunze DOC 9004 skimmer I run). The tank does have a fuge that's lit 24/7 and a sicce 1.5 return pump. Top off water is also RO.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'VE been reefing for 15-ish years and don't remember encountering this algae before.

Last edited by necessary_evil; 11/10/2016 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Too much copy and paste
necessary_evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2016, 11:03 AM   #2
AlSimmons
Registered Member

It might be Chrysophytes, a Silicate based algae.

http://chucksaddiction.thefishestate.net/ (Info Links > Hitchhikers > Algae)

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2016, 01:05 PM   #3
nmotz
Registered Member

Is your top-off water RO/DI or just RO? If it's the latter, you might be providing some nutrients that are supporting the outbreak of algae.

I have two golfball size turbo snails that destroy algae in my 40B. You might also try dosing vinegar. That brought my nitrates way down. Also make sure your skimmer is working properly.

Current Tank Info: 20L Peacock mantis shrimp tank
nmotz is offline   Reply With Quote